Cruising with friends

Maddysdaddy

Hi all.

I'm hoping that this is a quick and easy one for you (since this will be my first sailing on NCL, I don't know the answer, and must be putting in the wrong search terms on the site).

My family (2 adults, 1 child) is sailing with friends (2 adults, 3 children) on the Escape in March.

If I understand correctly, if we all want to dine together in one of the MDR's, we just show up and wait for a table for 8, but what about specialty dining?

I'm a Type 'A' advance planner, and they are not planners at all (e.g., 90 days out, I want to be online at midnight booking dining and shows - and we're 100 days out and they haven't thought about booking their flights to Miami yet). I need to know well in advance where I'm going to be and what I'm going to be doing at any particular moment (yes, even on vacation, and yes, I get how really depressing that sounds, and no, I'm not a control freak - well, maybe I'm a bit of a control freak, but 'winging it' while on vacation freaks me out).

Can I book a table for 8 (or 4, depending on whether I think the kids will want to eat at the restaurant/see the show), or can I only book for my family, and they have to do their own booking? Can our reservations be linked?

Thanks for your (anticipated) assistance with this question.

You can book for any number of people with the caveat being if you want to do so in advance for a specialty then you have to pay in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the quick response. Am I correct that even if I book and pay for a specialty, as long as I cancel more than 24 hours in advance, I'll receive a credit back?

If you decide on any day that the 8 of you wants to eat in the MDR then I suggest that you book for the MDR that morning. You may find otherwise that you could have a long wait if you just turn up. That is especially true in the peak hours when people want to eat in time to get to either of the shows.

Mike

You can book for any number of people with the caveat being if you want to do so in advance for a specialty then you have to pay in advance.

I booked Cagney's, Teppanyaki and Le Bistro on Escape yesterday (90 days out) for 8 under my name only (there are only 2 in my cabin) and was not charged for anything. It did say that if I did not cancel 24 hrs prior to reservation I would be charged. I don't know how they charge when most are now ala carte. I booked through NCL website under my reservation account.

I booked Cagney's, Teppanyaki and Le Bistro on Escape yesterday (90 days out) for 8 under my name only (there are only 2 in my cabin) and was not charged for anything. It did say that if I did not cancel 24 hrs prior to reservation I would be charged. I don't know how they charge when most are now ala carte. I booked through NCL website under my reservation account.

They will probably have a fixed charge; I guess equal to the old "fee". Each, of course!!

Mike

If you decide on any day that the 8 of you wants to eat in the MDR then I suggest that you book for the MDR that morning. You may find otherwise that you could have a long wait if you just turn up. That is especially true in the peak hours when people want to eat in time to get to either of the shows.

Mike

I agree. We had a party of 11 and checked in with the dining room each morning. They would book us, or let us know if on that particular day there would be no wait. We relaxed during the day knowing we had this arrangement all set for dinner each day.

The escape may be different because of the a la carte or it could be because you may have the SDP.

First day you can go to one of the restaurants and they can merge your dinner reservations together and move times around... we have a table for 9...

we are on the escape soon, and will be a group of 11 so let you know how all goes.

MaddysDaddy: We are a party of 8, some with and some without SDP and, like you, sailing on Escape in March. When I booked for a party of 8 there were only 2 or 3 booking times available - 5:30, 8:00 or 9 pm. There were lots of times available for parties of 4. If you really want all 8 in your group to eat at one of the speciality restaurants, especially Teppanyaki, I would suggest making a reservation -- it can always be changed/cancelled. I was charged nothing for the reservation nor asked to name members in my group.

Have you ever traveled with this other family before? I ask because they may not be expecting to be attached at the hip for every meal. You may want to reconsider and book some reservations for just your family, especially if you can't stand the thought of everything not falling exactly into place. I like my travel friends but we certainly do our own things at times and it makes everyone that much happier.

Have you ever traveled with this other family before? I ask because they may not be expecting to be attached at the hip for every meal. You may want to reconsider and book some reservations for just your family, especially if you can't stand the thought of everything not falling exactly into place. I like my travel friends but we certainly do our own things at times and it makes everyone that much happier.

I don't expect that we will actually be spending every evening with them - I just know that if I don't take the initiative to book restaurants and shows for them, they will walk onto the ship with exactly zero reservations. I'm trying to be a good friend by doing this for them, and, if they decide to switch things up as we go along (provided that they let me know 24 hours before the reservation), then no harm done.