Looking for Cruise October school holidays with my 16 year old son

Portugal1000

Went on my first cruise on QM2 with my mum this year and loved it but now want to take our son on his first cruise in October school holidays. We usually have a week away in May but can next year due to revision. We will still have our three weeks in Florida in July/August but this means we still have holiday budget left for another week somewhere so thinking of a med cruise as always wanted to do this. As much as I loved Cunard, probably not the best for a teenager so looking for recommendations for a ship that we would both love ( my husband refuses to step on a ship so just the two of us!) we both enjoy joining in. We love the water, water slides etc. Love anything adventurous so zip line, flo riders etc. I love the spa but would only go if there was a great teen club that my son could go to. We love the cinema, so that would be a bonus. Doesn't matter so much about having to dress for dinner as my son definitely won't be interested in that so I can live without it. Anyway hopefully you get the idea. A ship with lots to do for the both of us. It would be half term so hopefully other kids his age. Any recommendations greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Obviously location plays a part. No point in recommending Carnival if you want to cruise closer to home such as Med. I do think you would find a lot on Carnival to suit you both if you wanted American or Caribbean itinerary. If a European style suits then I'd go with Royal Caribbean or Norwegian myself.

Royal Caribbean is most likely to fit the bill, followed by Norwegian & Carnival. But nothing wrong with most of the others including Princess & Thomson.

More important perhaps are the ones to avoid:

Yes, with the greatest respect, Cunard is likely to be a bit stuffy for a teen.

And teens might find Celebrity a little too refined.

Fred Olsen and Holland-America's ships attract a high proportion of octogenarians, as do P & O's adults-only ships (but no problem with their big ships Azura, Ventura & Britannia).

The Italian lines, Costa & MSC, are an acquired taste and their Med-based cruises have a large proportion of Italian & Spanish passengers - probably best to steer clear on this occasion.

Compared to Cunard, on-board costs will be a lot lower on P&O and Thomson though they tend to be not as glitzy as the US ships. Norwegian seem to do their best to give you the opportunity to spend as much as possible. ;)

All just MHO as always.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull