Explorer hit by 150knot Squall

In 2012 were on Arcadia, Sydney to Southampton, off east African Coast a 120 mph gust hit the ship knocked her sideways, she was listing badly for 45 minutes until the water ballast righted her. Not a pleasant experience. Yes anything can happen at sea.

Hope yall ride out the storm up north, we only got a bit of it down here at Batemans Bay.

Explorer leaves Sydney this evening too ! I'm here right now & its bucketing down!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22-Jan-2015 Voyager Of The Seas3 Night Sampler Cruise

10-Jan-2014 Voyager Of The Seas3 Night Sampler Cruise

03-Feb-2012 Rhapsody Of The Seas 3 Night Sampler Cruise

Edited by Bitter Bulldog

Only going on Capt.:) He definitely said 147, maybe he meant KPH not Knots?

Just coming off the ship today, he definitely said 147 Knots..

I was on deck 11 and two girls were thrown out of the pool at me, it was a hectic few minutes lol.

Explorer leaves Sydney this evening too ! I'm here right now & its bucketing down!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22-Jan-2015 Voyager Of The Seas3 Night Sampler Cruise

10-Jan-2014 Voyager Of The Seas3 Night Sampler Cruise

03-Feb-2012 Rhapsody Of The Seas 3 Night Sampler Cruise

May be delayed by a deep clean though.

A pity Explorer of the Seas does not have a bridgecam, would have been interesting viewing yesterday. I wonder what the wave height was in the '150 knot squall?'

Edited by NSWP

Hi all just home (drove home to Melb ) For the record I just reviewed my video recording of the captain's second announcement and he clearly states that the list "lasted for 2 mins, not more than 2 mins..." and the wind was 148 knots.

Off to bed now but will post what I saw in the next day or 2.

Awesome cruise btw!!!!

Hi all just home (drove home to Melb ) For the record I just reviewed my video recording of the captain's second announcement and he clearly states that the list "lasted for 2 mins, not more than 2 mins..." and the wind was 148 knots.

Off to bed now but will post what I saw in the next day or 2.

Awesome cruise btw!!!!

Cheers, We look forward to it.:D

Wonder it that was part of the weather system that trounced Sydney at lunch time today.:eek:

If it was the same system that hit Sydney yesterday then it was a double whammy for the Explorer because the ships departure from Sydney was delayed because of a number of passengers not being able to fly into Sydney because of the storm. She was originally rescheduled to leave around 7pm (after the noro clean up)but don't think she got away until about 9 or 10 pm.... so the storm got her twice.

Edited by gbenjo

If it was the same system that hit Sydney yesterday then it was a double whammy for the Explorer because the ships departure from Sydney was delayed because of a number of passengers not being able to fly into Sydney because of the storm. She was originally rescheduled to leave around 7pm (after the noro clean up)but don't think she got away until about 9 or 10 pm.... so the storm got her twice.

:eek: Bugger!