Suggestions for a day in Dunedin

Maple30

Hi,

We're in Dunedin for a day, onboard the Princess Dawn. We've visited Larnach Castle, the Chinese Garden and Baldwin st on a previous driving holiday. I'm considering a Viator full day tour which includes Olveston House, but was wondering whether there are tour buses at the port offering tours as well. Is it far from the port into the city? Thanks in advance.

From memory it's about 12-14km from Port Chalmers to the Octagon (where they drop you off in the middle of the city).

Have you considered the Taeri Gorge railway? Note that it's significantly cheaper if you buy it locally, rather than through the cruise line shore tours. Only difference is that the ship's tour departs from the ship, whereas locally purchased tours require you to make your own way to the railway station in town - it's only a short walk from the Octagon.

You may also wish to consider visiting the Cadbury factory and/or Speight's Brewery, or take a walk up Baldwin Street - the world's steepest street.

Yes, the local i-Site sets up a tent on the wharf. They sell tours for all of the local operators, with the operators collecting you directly from the i-Site tent.

Edited by Vader1111

I will second the Tairei Gorge railway, and in another thread here a poster talked of booking it directly and because there were so many private bookings from the ship the railway put on a bus from the port to the city.

I've heard good comments about Olveston though have never been myself.

From memory it's about 12-14km from Port Chalmers to the Octagon (where they drop you off in the middle of the city).

Have you considered the Taeri Gorge railway? Note that it's significantly cheaper if you buy it locally, rather than through the cruise line shore tours. Only difference is that the ship's tour departs from the ship, whereas locally purchased tours require you to make your own way to the railway station in town - it's only a short walk from the Octagon.

You may also wish to consider visiting the Cadbury factory and/or Speight's Brewery, or take a walk up Baldwin Street - the world's steepest street.

Yes, the local i-Site sets up a tent on the wharf. They sell tours for all of the local operators, with the operators collecting you directly from the i-Site tent.

I can recommend these.:D

We did a private tour with Relaxed Tours that someone on our roll call organized, it was fantastic. We got taken out to the Moraki Boulders, then to Shag Point to view wild fur seals up close (we got within a few meters), then a tour through the city itself including the Lookout, Baldwin st, Cadbury factory and th octagon area and train station. Warren our tour guide was very accommodating, we did many things not in the official itinerary including stopping at a cheese factory we spotted on the way (he even bought some for us to sample), and he bought a case of Speights beer for us to try and drink on the bus :)

It only cost $70NZ per person too and was a full day.

On our first trip to Dunedin we did a tour of the Otago Penninsula with Elm Wildlife Tours. Simply wonderful, touring the Albatros rookery, Yellow Eyed Pengin nesting ground, saw seals and fantastic scenery.

On our second trip to Dunedin I had developed a head cold, went into town, purchased some Codral at the Pharmacy (which was useless) and then went back to the ship to sleep.

The first trip was my favourite. :D

On our first trip to Dunedin we did a tour of the Otago Penninsula with Elm Wildlife Tours. Simply wonderful, touring the Albatros rookery, Yellow Eyed Pengin nesting ground, saw seals and fantastic scenery.:D

Yes a very interesting tour. I can also recommend this trip, not cheap but well worth it.

Nature's Wonders & Otago Peninsula Approximately 4.5 hours

Board your motorcoach and drive from Port Chalmers to Taiaroa Head at the tip of the Otago Peninsula, and on to Natures Wonders, for your chance to see penguins and seals up close. Board an exciting 8-wheel-drive Argo, driven by your guide. Your Argo stops at Penguin Beach; the only home to the world's rarest penguin - the Yellow-eyed Penguin as well as Little Blue Penguins. You may also see fur seals and pups, and sea lions. While at Natures Wonders, enjoy morning tea served to you inside Natures Wonders Hoiho Café. The tour concludes with a brief city sights tour.

Take the shuttle into town Go to the old railway station and do the galleries and exhibits there Book before for a tour of the Speights Brewery and enjoy lunch there afterwards Excellent value and if you are seniors you get that price at Speights

Once we were in Dunedin and there were 3 ships in port. Each one put on their own shuttle (some free, some charged) , which was fine for getting into town, but coming back was chaos as many people joined the wrong line and had to find their own one and start over again.

I believe now the port ,or the city, just has the one shuttle service running for all ships at a small charge.....and add buses as needed....