Calling from Azamara ships - UK guests in particular

uktog

Although I have said UK guests in particular I am interested in advice/help from anyone on this one who has experience with Azamara or can Bonnie find out.

I am going to be on Quest during Christmas and New Year and unfortunately the times you would call home (Christmas and New Year Day ) are both at sea times when we take account of time differences. With older relatives, their Christmas Day call is important so we have to make it.

I have a phone tariff that includes free calls from Australia and I also have an added bundle for 100 minutes free calls where I am not in one of my "home" countries (Australia is a "home" in this connection)

Now I know Azamara has a connection with A T and T and I am wondering has anyone been able to make free calls from the ship who was not part of the A T and T package, particularly UK guests with added international minutes bundles.

By the way I am also asking my provider (EE).

Although I have said UK guests in particular I am interested in advice/help from anyone on this one who has experience with Azamara or can Bonnie find out.

I am going to be on Quest during Christmas and New Year and unfortunately the times you would call home (Christmas and New Year Day ) are both at sea times when we take account of time differences. With older relatives, their Christmas Day call is important so we have to make it.

I have a phone tariff that includes free calls from Australia and I also have an added bundle for 100 minutes free calls where I am not in one of my "home" countries (Australia is a "home" in this connection)

Now I know Azamara has a connection with A T and T and I am wondering has anyone been able to make free calls from the ship who was not part of the A T and T package, particularly UK guests with added international minutes bundles.

By the way I am also asking my provider (EE).

Hi uktog

I was on the recent transatlantic cruise on the Journey and had my iPhone and Nokia "pay as you go" with me. o2 is my provider.

On previous cruises (transatlantic included) I have had no problem with either phone in being automatically connected through the ship "Cellular at Sea" once out of range from port signal and this this enabled me to sent text messages without problem.

However, on the Journey this time, I had no signal whatsoever on the Cellular at Sea and spoke to the IT guy onboard who could not provide an answer.:(

I wonder if anyone else had the same problem:confused:.

I like to keep in touch with family and friends also when cruising.

One thing to be aware of is that "Cellular at Sea" is routed via the USA, Miami I believe, and if the USA is a home country as it is with "3" then you get a message saying calls and texts are included in your bundle. However this is not the case and you will be charged, we were talking with the IT Officer on Celebrity Eclipse and he was saying that this has even caught out officers on that ship.

To avoid charges we always ensure are phones are switched off on the ship when at sea and that data roaming is disabled. I had to use my phone in Brazil to phone Azamara UK and forgot data roaming was on, within 30 seconds the emails coming in had rung up a £30 bill in data charges alone!

One thing to be aware of is that "Cellular at Sea" is routed via the USA, Miami I believe, and if the USA is a home country as it is with "3" then you get a message saying calls and texts are included in your bundle. However this is not the case and you will be charged, we were talking with the IT Officer on Celebrity Eclipse and he was saying that this has even caught out officers on that ship.

To avoid charges we always ensure are phones are switched off on the ship when at sea and that data roaming is disabled. I had to use my phone in Brazil to phone Azamara UK and forgot data roaming was on, within 30 seconds the emails coming in had rung up a £30 bill in data charges alone!

Hi Riocca

I only really use the topped up phone (which I call my holiday phone!) for text messages (which do cost more at sea) and carry the iPhone in case of emergency (which hopefully won't occur). I also always switch the wifi and data roaming button on iPhone to off when I am away as I don't want to incur huge bills either:D.

Thanks - data is not an issue as the EE tariff I am on blocks data automatically unless I buy an overseas bundle. If I could be sure Cellular at Sea was routed through the USA all would be great.

Bonnie, is there any way that you could check what the position of Quest in Australia would be, unfortunately I cannot wait until I get on board to find out as we need to make plans before we leave

Thanks - data is not an issue as the EE tariff I am on blocks data automatically unless I buy an overseas bundle. If I could be sure Cellular at Sea was routed through the USA all would be great.

Bonnie, is there any way that you could check what the position of Quest in Australia would be, unfortunately I cannot wait until I get on board to find out as we need to make plans before we leave

If the Officer on Eclipse was correct, and as we talked for ages on this subject I have no reason to doubt him, wherever you are in the world "Cellular at Sea" is routed via the satellite to the States. It's this that confuses the phone to think it's in a home country, he was saying that even one of their officers ran up a huge bill with 3 because he believed the message. I did also check this out with a friend who used to work for 3 and he confirmed that if you make calls or texts via Cellular at Sea you will be charged at the highest roaming rate. So it is best to talk to your provider before using the service to see how they handle the calls.

I have alway benefited from Cellular at Sea whilst cruising.

However this year , we are home 2 weeks from Eclipse, I had no service from CaS.

I have an iPhone 6 on O2 and I queried this lack of cellular service with the iLounge.

They told me it is a provider issue and I should have advised O2 of my travel plans, my service and reception could have been effectively switched on in the UK by O2.

O2 have since confirmed this to me.

The lack of service was unfortunate as I needed to keep in touch with home and business.

Hi uktog

I was on the recent transatlantic cruise on the Journey and had my iPhone and Nokia "pay as you go" with me. o2 is my provider.

On previous cruises (transatlantic included) I have had no problem with either phone in being automatically connected through the ship "Cellular at Sea" once out of range from port signal and this this enabled me to sent text messages without problem.

However, on the Journey this time, I had no signal whatsoever on the Cellular at Sea and spoke to the IT guy onboard who could not provide an answer.:(

I wonder if anyone else had the same problem:confused:.

I like to keep in touch with family and friends also when cruising.

We were on the transatlantic and like you were unable to get a signal whilst at sea.

'No Service' was displayed until we made landfall.

I have alway benefited from Cellular at Sea whilst cruising.

However this year , we are home 2 weeks from Eclipse, I had no service from CaS.

I have an iPhone 6 on O2 and I queried this lack of cellular service with the iLounge.

They told me it is a provider issue and I should have advised O2 of my travel plans, my service and reception could have been effectively switched on in the UK by O2.

O2 have since confirmed this to me.

The lack of service was unfortunate as I needed to keep in touch with home and business.

Hi norn iron

Thank you. I will contact o2 before my next cruise to advise them of my plans.

It just seems a bit odd I didn't have to do this before:confused:

We were on the transatlantic and like you were unable to get a signal whilst at sea.

'No Service' was displayed until we made landfall.

Hi Glenndale

I got the same "no service" message on both phones. Will know now to contact O2 before next cruise.

Regards.

I think this may relate to new EU rules on roaming charges that will eventually see the abolition of roaming charges throughout the EU. There was something about this on the BBC the other night, I think there is now a cap on the amount of roaming charges outside the EU you can incur before they freeze your access, however if you inform your provider you wave your right to this cap and can if you are not careful run up horrendous bills.

Hi, Download voipcheap for internet calls, then use their system for mobile voip app. This worked on Eclipse using my free internet minutes I use voipcheap on my Samsung tablet. Open account, pay via PayPal, I usually top up with 10 euros.

Call quality is good and the call tariff is cheap.

enjoy your cruise,

I think this may relate to new EU rules on roaming charges that will eventually see the abolition of roaming charges throughout the EU. There was something about this on the BBC the other night, I think there is now a cap on the amount of roaming charges outside the EU you can incur before they freeze your access, however if you inform your provider you wave your right to this cap and can if you are not careful run up horrendous bills.

The cap is £44

I have discovered the issue will be EE do not seem to have an agreement with Cellular at Sea so will not pick up the signal at all, but that is being checked by my EE guru who has had feedback he wont be getting his Christmas call as a result....

Hi, Download voipcheap for internet calls, then use their system for mobile voip app. This worked on Eclipse using my free internet minutes I use voipcheap on my Samsung tablet. Open account, pay via PayPal, I usually top up with 10 euros.

Call quality is good and the call tariff is cheap.

enjoy your cruise,

I forgot to add, you can phone home numbers in the UK from most places in the world with voip calls over the Internet via tablet.