Allure of the Seas vs. Disney Fantasy

Looking for some advise about picking a cruise with a 6 year old boy. We cruised the Disney Fantasy this past January and loved it but I was looking at the Allure of the Seas and it looks very enticing for our family for a cruise in 2016. Just wondering if anybody else has experience with both of these ships and some comparisons to give having a 6 year old child and keeping them entertained the majority of the time. My son tends to get bored easily. :)

Have not done Fantasy but have done Dream which I think is the sister ship to Fantasy.

Like both Dream and Allure. Disney definitely has the kids club advantage (at least according to my son), however, with the DreamWorks on Allure its pretty close.

My guess is Disney is more expensive than Allure, if its close I would probably go with Fantasy if it is significantly more then take Allure.

Allure certainly isn't a bad option and worth trying something new if its cheaper too :)

Looking for some advise about picking a cruise with a 6 year old boy. We cruised the Disney Fantasy this past January and loved it but I was looking at the Allure of the Seas and it looks very enticing for our family for a cruise in 2016. Just wondering if anybody else has experience with both of these ships and some comparisons to give having a 6 year old child and keeping them entertained the majority of the time. My son tends to get bored easily. :)

We (me, DW, 2 DS) cruised Disney earlier this year and it was fantastic. Looking for our 2016 family trip and we ended up choosing Allure mainly due to cost. In Allure we got 2 connecting OV rooms for over 30% less ($2,000+) than a single OV room on Disney.

Last February DH and I cruised on the Fantasy (...and were bored out of our minds, but I digress), where we met a couple cruising with a teen and two young children who had previously cruised on the Oasis (Allure sister ship) and they both agreed that the Oasis beat the Fantasy on every level. They said the Oasis had something for everyone and the entire family really enjoyed themselves. I suggest that you try the Allure for a completely different experience. :D

Last February DH and I cruised on the Fantasy (...and were bored out of our minds, but I digress), where we met a couple cruising with a teen and two young children who had previously cruised on the Oasis (Allure sister ship) and they both agreed that the Oasis beat the Fantasy on every level. They said the Oasis had something for everyone and the entire family really enjoyed themselves. I suggest that you try the Allure for a completely different experience. :D

Definitely agree in terms of price. We compared Allure with Fantasy last December when we were deciding with the two for our family of four. We had looked at similar staterooms, similar itinerary, and both are the fleet's larger ships, and the difference at the time was $2000. Moreover, we are Canadian so with today's rate (since final payment isn't until end of January), the difference is now $3100 (i.e. if we had booked the USD amount last December). That's a huge difference. Glad we went with Allure.

We haven't been on the Fantasy but we were on the Magic. Our kids loved it, but I have to agree with the above comment in terms of adult activities. When our kids were in the kids club/nursery, we were bored. Certainly not as much for adults and family as a whole. (That was on the Magic....I assume its similar on Fantasy)

Edited by LuCruise

We were just on Allure over Thanksgiving. We couldn't wait to get off. Our son turned 10 on the cruise. We too wanted something cheaper after 4 Disney cruises. Our son wouldn't go into the kid's club after the first day. RCCL can't touch Disney as far as the kids stuff. The staff there didn't do ANY of the stuff on the Navigator. They would only let them play games that included a ball. I got the feeling they didn't want to take the time to clean up any messes. The times the clubs are open is weird too. They close for 2 hours over lunch. AND what they do not advertise is they start charging 8.00 an hour after 10PM. THAT is when they bring out the "fun stuff" video games, Wii U, computers ect. More of their nickel and dime you to death.

We decided we'll just pay more and get more with Disney. I won't even go into the food & drink aspect of it. We'll stick to Disney.

We were just on Allure over Thanksgiving. We couldn't wait to get off. Our son turned 10 on the cruise. We too wanted something cheaper after 4 Disney cruises. Our son wouldn't go into the kid's club after the first day. RCCL can't touch Disney as far as the kids stuff. The staff there didn't do ANY of the stuff on the Navigator. They would only let them play games that included a ball. I got the feeling they didn't want to take the time to clean up any messes. The times the clubs are open is weird too. They close for 2 hours over lunch. AND what they do not advertise is they start charging 8.00 an hour after 10PM. THAT is when they bring out the "fun stuff" video games, Wii U, computers ect. More of their nickel and dime you to death.

We decided we'll just pay more and get more with Disney. I won't even go into the food & drink aspect of it. We'll stick to Disney.

As a cruiser who has been on both Disney Fantasy and Allure, I couldn't disagree more. All we have ever been told is how much better Disney is, so we tried it last year. Not one person in our group of 9(3 cabins) thought Disney offered anything better than RCCL. I am sure many people disagree, but unless you are a Disney nut, nothing was "extraordinary". No better service, no better entertainment, no better food, nothing stood out as excellent that would make us pay 30-50% more for a cruise. The only draw was the abilty to carry on your own alcohol, which has now been discontinued, thus making it a no brainer to cruise elswhere. If you like Disney and it's offerings, maybe you will enjoy it more, but not for us. The dining options are sparse at night, and when the buffet is transformed into a sit down at night, it lacks in comparison to other cruises we have been on. To each his own, but we were "one and done" with Disney cruises. :D:D

For comparison, we are booked on Liberty of the Seas in December 2016 in a Royal Family Suite (2 bedrooms and Suite amenities) for $4400 for 5 people. Disney Fantasy is $11,920 for a concierge balcony room and over $17,000 for a 1 bedroom concierge suite the same week. That is just a ridiculous price difference! We can cruise 3-4 times on RCCL for the price of one cruise on Disney!

Edited by cruisinpips

Opinions are like belly buttons, we all have one, they are different, not right or wrong, just ours.

She ask for opionions, I gave mine and my experience.

I like this! :D

I'm somewhere in the middle and like both Disney and RCL at this time. I've sailed 9 times with Disney, 5 of those without children but all on the classic smaller ships. 5 times with RCL all without children, but sailing RCL with my older teen children this Sunday.

I've never had children younger than teens with me so can't comment on the kids programs on either line, but my general feel is that Disney has better programs for the younger kids, though I think my older teens are going to enjoy RCL more than they did Disney - we'll see!

For me, when I'm with adults only, Disney is my first choice with RCL a close second that often wins out when I factor in price.

we have only ever sailed on the fantasy however we recently booked our first oasis cruise and are looking forward to the change.

we love dcl but like a previous poster we are Canadian and there is a huge price difference. the exchange rate right now is enormous. given that, it was time to try something new and i'm going in with a positive attitude. i'll never know if it is good, bad or indifferent until I give it a go. same for you. you will have to try it to know for sure.

your going to get so many different opinions and no one's is right or wrong, its just what they feel. my opinion, give it a try on allure. it will, at the very least, give you something to compare dcl with.

what ever you decide, have a great vacation! :)

I have never cruised Disney but I highly doubt the meals to be of higher Quality. Maybe the PP just had a bad cruise not sure, I have been on RCL cruises where some were better than others but the things that always have been consistently good are the food,service and shows. I am pretty confident the OP will love allure

• 2 weeks later...

The thing I find funny is that people keep referring to the Allure being cheaper than Disney but I have done three Disney Cruises and I am preparing to do my first Royal Caribbean on the Allure in a few weeks. We are booked basically in the same type of room we had on the Fantasy (balcony room) (by the way the Allure rooms are smaller) - and I have been totaling up all the things you have to pay extra for on Royal Caribbean that you don't pay for on Disney and well all of those extras add up and they have actually made my total cruise cost about $400 more than Disney. Now that is just the things we know we will pay extra for like soft drink packages (included on Disney), etc. That $400 over does not include the numerous things I have read about that will entice my children while on the ship that also cost extra (like having a Starbucks alone). And I don't have small children so this would not be an extra for me and not really something I have checked into but from what I am reading after a certain time of night you have to pay for the kids clubs - Disney will entertain your kids until midnight, 1am or 2am depending on their age - and there is no extra charge for that. Now I have no doubt that I will love my cruise because well I just love to cruise but I am having a really hard time understanding the Allure is cheaper thing. Showed my notebook with all my cost comparisons to a friend the other day and she couldn't believe it because she also thought Disney was cheaper but people forget to look at the things that cost extra. Anyway with that said I can't really give you a true comparison because I have not sailed on the Allure yet.

I have not cruised yet - going in 40 days but I have also heard about the nickel and dime you to death - I will say my opinion is Disney definitely does not Nickel and Dime you to death as a matter of fact with the exception of alcohol, specialty coffee, milkshakes, and the adult restaurants I can't think of anything else that costs extra. Oh and the kids can get milkshakes in the kids clubs for no charge.

I have not cruised yet - going in 40 days but I have also heard about the nickel and dime you to death - I will say my opinion is Disney definitely does not Nickel and Dime you to death as a matter of fact with the exception of alcohol, specialty coffee, milkshakes, and the adult restaurants I can't think of anything else that costs extra. Oh and the kids can get milkshakes in the kids clubs for no charge.

i to kept hearing about the nickel and dimming so it scared me off of the other cruise lines for a long time. now that i have looked into it i just don't see what it is that is supposed to cost so much.

pop, yes, is included on dcl however it will only cost us about $120 for the week and you don't get to pick from 6 or 8 flavours, with the freeform drink machines its more like 40. you have to pay extra for speciality restaurants but you have to do that on dcl as well. you have to pay extra for starbucks but you have to pay extra for cove cafe. there just does not seem to be anything that we get included on dcl that is not included on rcl that i can figure out. if we are saving $2000 (which is approximately what we are saving) then i will gladly pay the pop fee and smile.

what am i missing?

We haven't been on Fantasy or Dream but our experience on Disney Cruises were good. But for our family, we like spending time together. Doing activities together. On Disney it seemed like there were things for the kids and things for the adults just not things to do together. We go on vacation to spend time as a family, not to get away from our kids. I get that some do, and that is fine. Everyone has their own reasons and needs for a cruise!

Disney was more expensive - we decided we'd rather spend our money on RCI for Cruising and Disney parks for amusement parks. We love Disney World and can't wait to go back.

Oh, and the time we were on the Magic, we docked next to Liberty (which we had been on the cruise before) and my kids were asking if we could switch ships. They were that bored. They were 10, 8, and 5 at the time - the 10 and 8 year old were really the most bored. So sad!

Edited by attagirl

I will say my opinion is Disney definitely does not Nickel and Dime you to death as a matter of fact with the exception of alcohol, specialty coffee, milkshakes, and the adult restaurants I can't think of anything else that costs extra.

Oh and the kids can get milkshakes in the kids clubs for no charge.

I have been totaling up all the things you have to pay extra for on Royal Caribbean that you don't pay for on Disney and well all of those extras add up and they have actually made my total cruise cost about $400 more than Disney. Now that is just the things we know we will pay extra for like soft drink packages (included on Disney), etc. That $400 over does not include the numerous things I have read about that will entice my children while on the ship that also cost extra (like having a Starbucks alone).

Disney will entertain your kids until midnight, 1am or 2am depending on their age - and there is no extra charge for that. Now I have no doubt that I will love my cruise because well I just love to cruise but I am having a really hard time understanding the Allure is cheaper thing. Showed my notebook with all my cost comparisons to a friend the other day and she couldn't believe it because she also thought Disney was cheaper but people forget to look at the things that cost extra.

I cannot criticize the Disney cruising product since I have never personally experienced it. I would love try it if the price were comparable to RCCL, but it is nowhere in the ballpark whenever I look.

Case in point...looking for our March break 2017 - the cost for a week on the Allure is half the cost of the Fantasy (March 11, 2017). $982 vs. $1848 per person for an inside, $1147 vs. $2093 per person for a balcony. That means it would cost be approximately $6000 (or nearly $10,000 Canadian) more for a week on the Fantasy than the Allure for my family of 6.

For $10,000, I can buy a lot of pop, milkshakes, and pay for babysitting in the kids club late into the evening.

That said, everyone is there own person. Personally, I would prefer NOT to have unlimited pop for my kids for the week simply for health concerns. I would rather not have it charged into my bill like Disney does. I would rather purchase a few drinks for them to limit their pop consumption.

Neither do I dump my kids in the kids program til 2am while on vacation, so once again pre-paying for these services built into the cruise price is something that is not valuable to me. We take our kids to the 8pm show WITH us (they love the shows by the way) and then put them to bed after the show. Just because they are on vacation does not mean our kids who normally have bed times of 8pm (7 year olds) and 10 pm (11 year old) get to stay up til 2am. If they did, they would be super grumpy the next day and make our lives hell for keeping them up so late.

I know some people hate the extra charges and would prefer to pay one price and not be nickle and dimed on their vacations (I too believe this is good to a point - would hate having pay toilets or putting in a quarter for 2 minutes in a shower like they do at campgrounds), but I personally prefer paying the lower cost and then paying extra for those things we CHOOSE to take advantage of and want.

As for mentioning the extras that will ENTICE your children, as you stated, there is a word in the English dictionary that may work...it is "NO".;) Unfortunately, many parents do not remember this word when it comes to their children (not saying you are one of these, the there sure are a lot of them out there - I teach grade 2/3, so I see it all the time).

Our children are told what is included on the cruise prior to boarding. Quite often we will give them a set amount that they may spend on-board, and they can choose if they want cupcakes, a pop, a stuffed animal, arcade games, t-shirt or whatever with the amount. After spending their amount, they are welcome to spend their own money if they have any (teaches them to be responsible with their money).

Not meaning to preach here, but just wanted to convey my opinion that I personally like the less expensive cruises (half price Allure vs double the cost Fantasy) and then picking what extras I want to pay for. Others will feel differently, and that is perfectly fine. To each their own.

I would love to try Disney Cruise Lines, but I just cannot justify paying double for many things I do not wish to be paying for. I would rather have 2 weeks on the Allure than one week on the Fantasy at the same cost. (Oh and by the way, we booked the Freedom over the Allure for the week mentioned - yes it is one day less, but the price is half of the Allure and a quarter the cost of the Fantasy. 7 days on the Fantasy vs. 24 days on the Freedom for the same cost...personally an easy choice for me).

I hope you enjoy all your future cruises, with whatever line they may be on.:D

The thing I find funny is that people keep referring to the Allure being cheaper than Disney but I have done three Disney Cruises and I am preparing to do my first Royal Caribbean on the Allure in a few weeks. We are booked basically in the same type of room we had on the Fantasy (balcony room) (by the way the Allure rooms are smaller) - and I have been totaling up all the things you have to pay extra for on Royal Caribbean that you don't pay for on Disney and well all of those extras add up and they have actually made my total cruise cost about $400 more than Disney. Now that is just the things we know we will pay extra for like soft drink packages (included on Disney), etc. That $400 over does not include the numerous things I have read about that will entice my children while on the ship that also cost extra (like having a Starbucks alone). And I don't have small children so this would not be an extra for me and not really something I have checked into but from what I am reading after a certain time of night you have to pay for the kids clubs - Disney will entertain your kids until midnight, 1am or 2am depending on their age - and there is no extra charge for that. Now I have no doubt that I will love my cruise because well I just love to cruise but I am having a really hard time understanding the Allure is cheaper thing. Showed my notebook with all my cost comparisons to a friend the other day and she couldn't believe it because she also thought Disney was cheaper but people forget to look at the things that cost extra. Anyway with that said I can't really give you a true comparison because I have not sailed on the Allure yet.

You got me curious since we had a $2000 difference comparing Allure to Fantasy...similar stateroom, itinerary and dates....so i did a comparison for your dates (we are a family of 4 so I selected over that). In my case the numbers were close if they were both USD BUT I am comparing Canadian dollars (Royal) to USD (Disney). And unforunately the dollar is horrible now. So for us,that is the huge difference too. But we did book our Allure cruise December of last year and Royal's prices have seemed to have gone up the past 8 months or so.

PS - I should say that if we had gone wtih the Fantasy cruise instead of Allure and paid if off today (our final payment date is end of January), then the difference would be $3000 with today's dollar.

We haven't been on Fantasy or Dream but our experience on Disney Cruises were good. But for our family, we like spending time together. Doing activities together. On Disney it seemed like there were things for the kids and things for the adults just not things to do together. We go on vacation to spend time as a family, not to get away from our kids. I get that some do, and that is fine. Everyone has their own reasons and needs for a cruise!

Disney was more expensive - we decided we'd rather spend our money on RCI for Cruising and Disney parks for amusement parks. We love Disney World and can't wait to go back.

I agree with both these comments 200%. We don't travel much and for us too, vacation is family time. The only time I "plan on sending our kdis to the kids club" is the evening when we have the comedy show booked. And that's only if they want to go.

And to us, Disney World was really a magical vacation. It's pricey but we just loved it and we do plan to go back...someday. There really is no other amusement park like it. Our Magic cruise was good, but just not worth the extra cost. We've been on Royal and loved it too, and its more geared to families instead of kids. (And for us, our DS will be close to 11 so Dreamworks charaters are better for him than Mickey mouse).

Edited by LuCruise

The thing I find funny is that people keep referring to the Allure being cheaper than Disney but I have done three Disney Cruises and I am preparing to do my first Royal Caribbean on the Allure in a few weeks. We are booked basically in the same type of room we had on the Fantasy (balcony room) (by the way the Allure rooms are smaller) - and I have been totaling up all the things you have to pay extra for on Royal Caribbean that you don't pay for on Disney and well all of those extras add up and they have actually made my total cruise cost about $400 more than Disney. . .

What cruise date(s) and room categories did you price where the price is so close?

We've cruised DCL and RCI (Oasis is coming up, but we've done Quantum and Adventure)...and some NCL. DCL has a lot of great things to offer, like service and often but not entirely the food. DCL's kids clubs were great but my kids loved Royal's too. They don't spend a ton of time in any of them but they regularly ask to go. In the RCI club they played games, had organized activities, did some crafts like coloring a pillow case, etc. RCL has much better and more options for amenities and variety of shows. DCL, every show had the Disney theme. My kids loved Mama Mia, Burn the Floor, Cirque and similar shows, parades, etc. on various ships. There are more pool options too (and Harmony will have a bunch of water/dry slides). We like the service on RCI and when you are nice to crew, they are nice to you too. DCL would just go so far out of their way to serve you. But, as much as there are options for charges on RCI (and a few on DCL), you can have a great vacation without all or even some of them. I've learned from going on different lines, if you compare you will find pros and cons for everything. Just focus on enjoying what you've got. I'm not booking any DCL in the future though. While it was nice it just doesn't have the overall offerings that RCI features.

What cruise date(s) and room categories did you price where the price is so close?

Well wish I could find exact figures but my Disney Fantasy May 30-June 6, 2015 was a little over $4000 for three of us in a balcony room and the Allure is around 3400 for the three of us in a balcony room. Don't worry will continue working because I know people on boards like this can't handle it until they have exact figures so I will find them and post them. Main reason I got off of other boards.

I've been on Allure and the Fantasy. I've cruised with 3 through 15 year olds on both.

The price difference was what had us try the Allure - $1k cheaper and two OV staterooms instead of one on Disney.

IMO, Royal's Adventure Ocean is serviceable for the kids, but is no Oceaneer's club/lab. The kids went, but not nearly as much as they did in the Fantasy, Magic or Wonder.

That said, they all loved the 3 Disney cruises and they all loved the Allure. I wrote a full review on my Allure cruise, but one thing no one has mentioned here is that your 6 year old will likely not be able to ride the flowriders or zip line due to height/weight requirements. Not sure if that's a deal breaker.

Where the Allure eats Disney alive is on the pool deck - so much better than any of the Disney ships. If you've only cruised Disney, the pool deck will knock your socks off.

I did miss the aqua duck, and the youngest that couldn't ride the flowriders definitely loved the aqua duck, and missed that too. You really can't go wrong with either ship, but I think we're probably going back to Royal before we go back to Disney, especially in light of the cost difference.

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

As a cruiser who has been on both Disney Fantasy and Allure, I couldn't disagree more. All we have ever been told is how much better Disney is, so we tried it last year. Not one person in our group of 9(3 cabins) thought Disney offered anything better than RCCL. I am sure many people disagree, but unless you are a Disney nut, nothing was "extraordinary". No better service, no better entertainment, no better food, nothing stood out as excellent that would make us pay 30-50% more for a cruise. The only draw was the abilty to carry on your own alcohol, which has now been discontinued, thus making it a no brainer to cruise elswhere. If you like Disney and it's offerings, maybe you will enjoy it more, but not for us. The dining options are sparse at night, and when the buffet is transformed into a sit down at night, it lacks in comparison to other cruises we have been on. To each his own, but we were "one and done" with Disney cruises. :D:D

For comparison, we are booked on Liberty of the Seas in December 2016 in a Royal Family Suite (2 bedrooms and Suite amenities) for $4400 for 5 people. Disney Fantasy is $11,920 for a concierge balcony room and over $17,000 for a 1 bedroom concierge suite the same week. That is just a ridiculous price difference! We can cruise 3-4 times on RCCL for the price of one cruise on Disney!

From what I've learned on here, you can bring bottles of wine per stateroom on board with Royal.

It's all an opinion, but we did find the shows top notch on Disney. But they are all kid-centred. Allure has something for everyone...aqua shows, cirque du soleil type shows, parades, Broadway show, ice shows (general one and a DreamWorks one), etc. Good variety. We will take our kids to all the shows except for the comedy show where you have to be 18+.

And yes, tons of complimentary dining options on Allure.

We did quite enjoy the Magic cruise and I totally get the appeal. But it's just a matter if the cost is worth it to a family. As people say, everyone has their own opinion as everyone is different..

Edited by LuCruise

Oh, and the time we were on the Magic, we docked next to Liberty (which we had been on the cruise before) and my kids were asking if we could switch ships. They were that bored. They were 10, 8, and 5 at the time - the 10 and 8 year old were really the most bored. So sad!

This is exactly our thoughts! We loved the Oasis (Allure sister ship) and have agreed as a family (that absolutely LOVES Disney) that we will gladly save money on the cruise price (and feel that we are giving up nothing!) and continue our annual trips to the Disney parks. Our DDs (12 and 8 now) never complained of boredom and loved the kids club on Oasis. And our entire family eagerly looks forward to the Disney parks. For us, its the best of both!

I have not sailed on any of the Oasis class ships yet but sailed both the Fantasy and Independence this past summer. I have sailed 9 times on RCCL and only this once on Fantasy. My general feeling is that Disney has the advantage but not without drawbacks. We have 2 boys 9 & 7 that hate going to RCLs kids programs. They loved the Fantasy's which gave my wife and I much more quality time in the evening to enjoy the night club / bar district. Disney has the water slides which kept the kids much more busy in the day as well. All that added up to a more relaxing experience for us on the Fantasy. I would say the Disney food was better quality but the menu items themselves were not as desirable. Breakfast on Disney blows away windjammer. The Disney ship generally felt cleaner. All that being said, we are torn about the next cruise. We love RCL and want to try an Oasis class ship. It's a money saver as well. Decisions Decisions.

Just curious ...... Were you on the Allure or the Navigator? Not clear from post.