Paid restaurants gratuity

cole'snana

Now that there's no longer lunch in the Tamarind, the ladies from there work in the Lido during the day.

That likely is why they no longer serve free lunch in Tamarind. They have cut crew so much, they need the ladies to augment the staff in Lido.

We had free dim-sum lunch in the Eurodam Tamarind less than 4 weeks ago, Nov 24. It wasn't open for lunch on the 23rd, and I assumed that was because we were at HMC, but maybe it's just a case of not being open every day, like the MDR.

If I have a Neptune suite, and go to the PG for most breakfasts, with the occasional dinner, I will tip the staff. Otherwise as the occasional PG patron, I do not think it is warranted.

With the increase in the daily service charge, and the over-inflated US buck, it gets to be quite taxing.

As an off-topic, the US buck is now ensuring that HAL will be getting less business from the northern folks (no fault of theirs),

I'm struggling with only tipping if you go someplace more. I don't care if people do or don't tip but I don't get what the frequency has to do with tipping in specialty restaurants.

As I said we were in an almost deserted room at the back and no one came near us to enquire if everything was ok. DH started on the good part of the steak and it was not until towards the end that he realised it was well done at the other end. We could have gotten up and wandered around and made a scene but decided not to.

The PG is not anything great IMHO. No atmosphere at all. Very aloof staff. I cannot understand why some people book and pay for many meals there for their cruise over and above the dining room. They must have some very ordinary restaurants at home if they think the PG is worth the extra money.

I feel it used to be better than it is now. Off subject but when people rave about burgers at the dive in that makes me wonder. They have zero paste. I make better burgers at home.

I feel it used to be better than it is now. Off subject but when people rave about burgers at the dive in that makes me wonder. They have zero paste. I make better burgers at home.

And, my wife prefers the steaks I do in our backyard to any steakhouse on any cruise.

I'm struggling with only tipping if you go someplace more. I don't care if people do or don't tip but I don't get what the frequency has to do with tipping in specialty restaurants.

Well it has to do with interaction frequency, When you go to the PG daily, one gets to speak and interact often with the staff. There we get to know, about what they are about, and get close on many levels of discussion.

Obviously from your response you have never been there.

Edited by jpelleti007
Not worth it....

Well it has to do with interaction frequency, When you go to the PG daily, one gets to speak and interact often with the staff. There we get to know, about what they are about, and get close on many levels of discussion.

Obviously from your response you have never been there.

Yes. I've got 350 plus days with Hal and I've never been in the pinnacle :rolleyes:. I've had the pinnacle and Neptune suites so I have eaten breakfast there. At that time I tipped at the end of the cruise. I've eaten lunches and dinners in there and I've tipped all but once or twice when the service was dismal. There has been cruises when I only ate there once. It never occurred to me not to tip because I was only going once. That's just odd to me.

Yes. I've got 350 plus days with Hal and I've never been in the pinnacle :rolleyes:. I've had the pinnacle and Neptune suites so I have eaten breakfast there. At that time I tipped at the end of the cruise. I've eaten lunches and dinners in there and I've tipped all but once or twice when the service was dismal. There has been cruises when I only ate there once. It never occurred to me not to tip because I was only going once. That's just odd to me.

OK...good point.

Will never get close to your sailing days.

As an aside, I do tip sometimes as opposed to not....

Thems the breaks.....

The stewards who serve us in Tamarind and Pinnacle on HAL ships do not work in other dining venues as a regular course. If there is a Code Red, they may be called on to assist.

Staff from the Pinnacle took care of our dining needs in the Oasis when our group rented it on Half Moon Cay in April.

The "fee" includes the tips. Some will add extra....some don't. It's up to you and what you feel the service is worth.

I agree, The service and food isn't that much better than normal fare to warrant and extra tip. Now the room stewards on the other hand, they always seem to deserve (and get) extra money.

The stewards who serve us in Tamarind and Pinnacle on HAL ships do not work in other dining venues as a regular course. If there is a Code Red, they may be called on to assist.

Sail, the stewards who serve in the Pinnacle Grill were handing out the tastings of the food cooked in the Cooking Demonstrations.

whether specialty of main as we don't always gave the same table and waiter each night.A 5029 won' break us and will help them and if we get the same staff we great special service. We also tip the Maitre D's in each venue to assure we can seat where we like especially with open seating, We want a table for2 at 7 pm.

Our Pinnacle waiter on the Z'dam also served as our Neptune Lounge morning steward. This hard working guy closed the Pinnacle then started about 6 a.m. getting the NL ready for 7 a.m. opening. Super servers like him are why I hand out envelopes at cruise end. Being singled out for reward seems to mean as much as the money.

Our Pinnacle waiter on the Z'dam also served as our Neptune Lounge morning steward. This hard working guy closed the Pinnacle then started about 6 a.m. getting the NL ready for 7 a.m. opening. Super servers like him are why I hand out envelopes at cruise end. Being singled out for reward seems to mean as much as the money.

They always do the set up and serving in Neptune Lounge. A Pinnacle steward(ess) is the person that brings all the snacks, changes over from breakfast to lunch etc EVERY cruise, every ship. Many of us choose to tip that person assuming they have done a good job (which they always do. :))

Specialty restaurant staff participate in the hotel service charge pool on the same basis as other participants (MDR stewards and room stewards, for example).

We only tip up when we have an ongoing relationship with particular crew members during a cruise: our room stewards; our waiter and assistant waiter (we always go for fixed dining); our wine attendant; and when we are in a Neptune Suite, the Pinnacle Grill stewards at breakfast.

I also leave a tip for the servers in the specialty restaurants.

I'm already paying $29.00 just to get in there. You can only order once (unlike the MDR) no wine on the list is less than $8.50 so not able to use beverage package (unlike the MDR) and to tell you the truth, the porterhouse was rather stringy and tough. So, tell me again what the tip is for?

I'm already paying $29.00 just to get in there. You can only order once (unlike the MDR) no wine on the list is less than $8.50 so not able to use beverage package (unlike the MDR) and to tell you the truth, the porterhouse was rather stringy and tough. So, tell me again what the tip is for?

What beverage package are you referring to? I used my $100 beverage card in there just last week.

What beverage package are you referring to? I used my $100 beverage card in there just last week.

Yes, we didn't have a prepaid beverage card. It was a beverage package that allowed up to 15 drinks a day but they had to be $8.00 or less. Most of them are but it just galled me that anywhere else on the ship you could get a glass of wine for the $8.00 or less but in the PG the cheapest glass was $8.50 so not eligible to go on the package. I just felt it was a blatant and greedy attempt to squeeze even more money out of people who are ALREADY paying a fee just to get in there. :(

Yes, we didn't have a prepaid beverage card. It was a beverage package that allowed up to 15 drinks a day but they had to be $8.00 or less. Most of them are but it just galled me that anywhere else on the ship you could get a glass of wine for the $8.00 or less but in the PG the cheapest glass was $8.50 so not eligible to go on the package. I just felt it was a blatant and greedy attempt to squeeze even more money out of people who are ALREADY paying a fee just to get in there. :(

We ate in the Pinnacle numerous times on our March and October cruises and we have the SBP. We were able to get our glasses of wine with no issues at all. Only place that the SBP isn't recognized is on HMC.

You can order wine from the MDR list. If you are ever in this situation again, ask your wine steward for suggestions.

The tip is for service, as it is in any restaurant. Do you really not tip your waiter because the restaurant buys cheap meat???

Edited by dakrewser

The one time we ate in the Pinnacle Grill we didn't see our favorite wine on their special list, but it was on the MDR list and the wine steward said it was ok if we ordered it from that. I guess our Beringer White Zinfindel is not upscale enough for them but it is one of the few wines that doesn't make me all congested.

And we didn't feel the need to leave an exra tip - we don't tip each meal in the MDR either as some have said they do. We were there in the PG on a gift from our PCC and for us it's just not worth the extra $58 for the food or the service. To each their own. That's the joy of cruising, something for everyone. m--

Edited by RMLincoln

The tip is for service, as it is in any restaurant. Do you really not tip your waiter because the restaurant buys cheap meat???

I think the issue is the stewards are already tipped for standard service. Anything extra I would want to give them is for exceptional service. And some of that exceptional service is working with you to select the best food for you. I rarely see exceptional service in the PG, but have on occasion.