Potential Disney Firsttimer - Pros and Cons of the Line?

MMW37

Hello all,

DH and I have cruised 3x in the past, all pre-kids and on Carnival (and I took one on Dolphin in HS). We now have two little boys and I'd like to try a different line with them for their first cruise in early 2017. The kids will be almost 2 and 4.5. For those who have cruised multiple lines, what are some pros and cons of Disney? What makes the line unique, besides the obvious (characters and theming)? We are not Disney addicts (yet?), but will be taking our second trip to WDW in a few weeks. DH and I were surprised at how much fun we adults had on our first trip, so the magic is definitely a plus. Money is a little bit of a factor in what we line we choose. As I've been casually looking at itineraries and fares, we may only be able to swing 5 days on Disney where we would pick a 7 or 8 day on another line. TIA!!

Pro' s of course are the Disney touch to cruising and the family atmosphere.

The big Con is Of course the price and limited choice of itineraries with only 4 ships.

Since your doing WDW soon , a Disney Cruise would be a good followup cruise , then try other better value lines in the future .

If I were looking at this as a "once in a lifetime," I'd wait till the youngest is a little older.

You might read my comparison of DCL vs. Princess on this board. DCL is the prettiest line I've been on, and obviously the only one with princesses and furries. But there are lots of concerns about the kid programming especially for younger kids (again, read threads here), and I'm not sure it is worth triple the price of other lines. Don't get me wrong--we've loved our DCL cruises but they have increased prices beyond belief recently. We can get a balcony on Princess for 1/2 the cost of an inside cabin on DCL. That means I'd need a really good reason to choose DCL. It is beautiful, bright, exciting, and a great place for kids. The cabins are larger than some other lines, but have less storage space. The split bathroom is great for families. You often need to go to a "mini-suite" on other lines to get this same space and amenities.

I've reached the point where I need a good reason to choose DCL over another line....and unless you are planning a sibling in the near future, I'd rather be taking the kids on DCL at 3 and 6 than at 1 and 4.

For you, some con's may be:

Disney kids clubs start at age 3 - you would have to pay $9 an hour for your 2 year old at the nursery and being that the kids are close in age, the 2 year old may not understand why they can't go with the older one to the clubs;

Lack of flexible dining - DCL only has the set dining times and does not offer casual dining on either the first or the last night of the cruise (big impact for a 3-4 night cruise). And based on my recent dinner at Cabana's I found this to be a weak dinner (and in the past I've been a big supporter of dinner at Cabana's because it was so good - this time it was pretty terrible). With a 2 and a 4 year old, having to make dinner at a specific time may prove difficult - my friends travelling with a 4 and a 6 year old found that early dining was too early (after returning from port, the girls were tired and wanted to nap - but it was so close to dinner that it was often a choice - dinner or nap).

Lines - yes you can see the characters but there are still lines for them. How okay are your kids going to be waiting?

No pools for diaper aged kids - there is a splash area on each ship but your 2 year old (unless fully potty trained) won't be allowed in to the pools or aqualab areas. Again, the dichotomy between your kids ages/levels may work against you.

Pro' s of course are the Disney touch to cruising and the family atmosphere.

The big Con is Of course the price and limited choice of itineraries with only 4 ships.

Since your doing WDW soon , a Disney Cruise would be a good followup cruise , then try other better value lines in the future .

Oops! Didn't read the age of the youngest child .:eek:

Too young for DCL activities .

Do the better value cruse now , then DCL a bit latter .;)

Thanks! I was actually expecting you guys to talk me into Disney. We'd be cruising in the offseason, which makes the prices a little less outrageous, but they're still really high. I highly doubt this will be a once in a lifetime trip - vacations are a pretty important part of our budget. I'm hoping it goes well and we can cruise at least every couple of years! Moki's mommy, I did read your great post comparing the two lines - food for thought, for sure! I guess I'll keep researching, and go with what makes the most sense based on itinerary and budget. Thanks!

Thanks! I was actually expecting you guys to talk me into Disney. We'd be cruising in the offseason, which makes the prices a little less outrageous, but they're still really high. I highly doubt this will be a once in a lifetime trip - vacations are a pretty important part of our budget. I'm hoping it goes well and we can cruise at least every couple of years! Moki's mommy, I did read your great post comparing the two lines - food for thought, for sure! I guess I'll keep researching, and go with what makes the most sense based on itinerary and budget. Thanks!

Thanks. While I don't consider Princess to be a kid oriented line, there is good material in my comparison. The closest line to DCL in terms of family appeal is probably Royal Caribbean. Good luck with your search for the right cruise.

I'm hoping that DCL realizes that they have priced themselves way beyond the typical family oriented cruise. They've always been a bit higher, but the cost increases in the past 2 years are ridiculous. In most cases they are at least double a similar DCL cruise of a few years ago, and in some cases prices have tripled. Despite being "triple platinum" on DCL, we just can't justify it any more.

On the Carnival boards, you may want to check out some reviews by ProfCruise who's reviews are "written" by her son (who is two going on three). Very detailed and give a good indication on travelling with a little one.

Carnival has also partnered with Dr. Seuss for the "Seuss at Sea" program which could be very age appropriate for your kids.

DCL cruises are unique, special and can only be found on DCL liner style vessels.

Disney Magic and Pixie Dust is the whole product, the superior designed, and built vessels with the classic lines and feel, the art deco and Nuevo deco feel and just enough Disney touches to bring a smile to peoples faces.

A ship crew that is excellent and the best trained and I know that for a fact, because I know all the special training they get on American Maritime schools. Add to that how they have rescued many at sea, including being able to get the rescue boat in the water and save a person who fell off another cruise ship when the other cruise ship could not even get their boat in the water.

Their own special designed terminal and Bus service where the magic begins with videos on what's coming and Disney cartoons.

The excellent service,, yes other lines may have great service, but twisting that into saying its Disney Pixie Dust, doesn't work, Add great food and good family entertainment. The DISNEY characters that bring joy to the kids, young and old. Mickey and Minnie. Things like Animators Pallet MDR, food and mixers events and that is just starters. DCL vessels have 3 MDR, you rotate each night , with your serving staff following you to each MDR. They know what you want and enjoy. Cabanas always given us a great meal as good as the meals in the MDR. On the smaller classic vessel you also have Palos a top of the line Italian venue and on the Dream class you have can add Reme's, a French venue, top of the line as well.

One of my favorite Disney magic/Pixie dust stories, was we were taken the design of the Magic tour, (which by itself is a great tour) when Belle came around the corner and a young girl on the tour with her MOM, just cried out in joy. Belle spun around, flopped down onto the deck, lifted the girl into lap and calmed her down. She finally told the child that if she was at a door down the passageway at 1830, she could walk with Belle to a greeting session. Mom nodded ok, Belle got up waved good bye and I would bet a week pay that child was at the door at 1830 and had a memory that would last a lifetime.

Everyone in the modern world knows Disney and Disney magic and Pixie dust, not only from DCL, but also the Disney parks and many other venues. One DCL cruise and you will be back for more.

The bottom line is the Disney cruises are special with real Disney Magic and Pixie dust only found on their ships. They are well worth the money.

AKK

Edited by Tonka's Skipper

DCL cruises are unique' date=' special and can only be found on DCL liner style vessels.

Disney Magic and Pixie Dust is the whole product, the superior designed, and built vessels with the classic lines and feel, the art deco and Nuevo deco feel and just enough Disney touches to bring a smile to peoples faces.

A ship crew that is excellent and the best trained and I know that for a fact, because I know all the special training they get on American Maritime schools. Add to that how they have rescued many at sea, including being able to get the rescue boat in the water and save a person who fell off another cruise ship when the other cruise ship could not even get their boat in the water.

Their own special designed terminal and Bus service where the magic begins with videos on what's coming and Disney cartoons.

The excellent service,, yes other lines may have great service, but twisting that into saying its Disney Pixie Dust, doesn't work, Add great food and good family entertainment. The DISNEY characters that bring joy to the kids, young and old. Mickey and Minnie. Things like Animators Pallet MDR, food and mixers events and that is just starters. DCL vessels have 3 MDR, you rotate each night , with your serving staff following you to each MDR. They know what you want and enjoy. Cabanas always given us a great meal as good as the meals in the MDR. On the smaller classic vessel you also have Palos a top of the line Italian venue and on the Dream class you have can add Reme's, a French venue, top of the line as well.

One of my favorite Disney magic/Pixie dust stories, was we were taken the design of the Magic tour, (which by itself is a great tour) when Belle came around the corner and a young girl on the tour with her MOM, just cried out in joy. Belle spun around, flopped down onto the deck, lifted the girl into lap and calmed her down. She finally told the child that if she was at a door down the passageway at 1830, she could walk with Belle to a greeting session. Mom nodded ok, Belle got up waved good bye and I would bet a week pay that child was at the door at 1830 and had a memory that would last a lifetime.

Everyone in the modern world knows Disney and Disney magic and Pixie dust, not only from DCL, but also the Disney parks and many other venues. One DCL cruise and you will be back for more.

The bottom line is the Disney cruises are special with real Disney Magic and Pixie dust only found on their ships. They are well worth the money.

AKK[/quote']

Wow! What passion! Thank you for this - this board has skewed slightly negative, in my opinion, over the last 6 months, and your post goes a long way to correcting that...

On the Carnival boards, you may want to check out some reviews by ProfCruise who's reviews are "written" by her son (who is two going on three). Very detailed and give a good indication on travelling with a little one.

Carnival has also partnered with Dr. Seuss for the "Seuss at Sea" program which could be very age appropriate for your kids.

I will check those out, thanks! I was leaning against Carnival, but mostly because when we cruised them before we wanted a cheap cruise with a lot of nightlife - not really the same thing we need now. I'm sure the offerings have changed since then though, especially on the bigger/newer ships!

I'm starting to wonder if we should go next year or just wait until the baby is potty trained to do our first as a family. We have a pool at home, and I could foresee problems with the no swim diaper thing. We're going to Grand Cayman for a week in June to visit friends, so we'll see how that goes too - maybe a land-based beach vacation would be more appropriate until they are old enough to swim and both use the clubs.

Wow! What passion! Thank you for this - this board has skewed slightly negative, in my opinion, over the last 6 months, and your post goes a long way to correcting that...

I truly believe that a lot of the negativity has to do with DCL raising prices (including day 1 prices) and decreasing perks for repeat cruisers. Yes, I know that we were never promised the perks, but the reduction definitely leaves a bad impression. Combined with the reduction in food quality, and some of us have started to look elsewhere.

No question--there are many things we like about DCL. Their safety record is one of the many.

As to Carnival...they have made a serious effort to become more family oriented, especially on their longer cruises. Unfortunately, the videos of the Wonder rescuing the passenger who "fell" overboard from one of the Carnival ships while Carnival got their lifeboat tangled in the rigging is a lasting memory.

I truly believe that a lot of the negativity has to do with DCL raising prices (including day 1 prices) and decreasing perks for repeat cruisers. Yes' date=' I know that we were never promised the perks, but the reduction definitely leaves a bad impression. Combined with the reduction in food quality, and some of us have started to look elsewhere. [/quote']

I think a lot of the perceived negativity is tied to DCL raising their prices but it's not just about the pricing. The increases have pushed many Disney cruise fans to look - and book - other cruise lines. There's been many reports both here and on other Disney fan sites where people come back from cruising those other lines and have a lot of positive things to say about other cruise lines.

Couple that with a single experience with DCL that wasn't stellar and you have many who question if DCL truly is "worth it" and how much they are going to assure people that DCL is worth 1.5 to 2 times the cost of other lines.

People who have staunchly supported DCL in the past are looking beyond the Disney (cruise) gates and realizing that it's not all party cruises or geezer-fests on other cruise lines.

I had my ah-ha moment in 2011 when I tried Carnival. DCL is good but there is much more out there and variety is a great thing. I still consider DCL cruises but by no means is it my first or only choice.

Edited by meatloafsfan

I think a lot of the perceived negativity is tied to DCL raising their prices but it's not just about the pricing. The increases have pushed many Disney cruise fans to look - and book - other cruise lines. There's been many reports both here and on other Disney fan sites where people come back from cruising those other lines and have a lot of positive things to say about other cruise lines.

Couple that with a single experience with DCL that wasn't stellar and you have many who question if DCL truly is "worth it" and how much they are going to assure people that DCL is worth 1.5 to 2 times the cost of other lines.

People who have staunchly supported DCL in the past are looking beyond the Disney (cruise) gates and realizing that it's not all party cruises or geezer-fests on other cruise lines.

I had my ah-ha moment in 2011 when I tried Carnival. DCL is good but there is much more out there and variety is a great thing. I still consider DCL cruises but by no means is it my first or only choice.

You've described us very well. We tried Celebrity, and while it had some great features, it wasn't a "hit" with all members of the family. When I found that I could get a balcony on Princess for 1/2 the cost of an inside on DCL for our European cruise this summer, the family suggested we should try a shorter Princess cruise first. It was a good fit for us. Yes, there are things DCL does better...and there are things that Princess does better. But given the variety of locations, the "frequent cruiser" perks, and the price...you are right, there are lots of ships on the oceans! We'll be canceling our DCL for the summer as everyone in our group would rather have a balcony on Princess than an inside on DCL.

On my "geezer-fest" cruise on Celebrity Reflection, there were 20 passengers under 18 out of 3400 total passengers. The kids' club areas were fairly large too, not DCL large but room for a couple hundred. So if you want your kid to have a lot of individual attention, consider one of these.