Help! Wonderful Choices, Now We Have to Narrow This Down

LTC Dan

Okay, so we could use some advice from our Cruise Critic pals online. The wife and I know a few things for sure. First, we KNOW we are going on our first Windstar cruise in the Fall to celebrate our 30th. Another absolute given -- we KNOW we are set on seeing three particular Mediterranean locations no matter what, Venice, Dubrovnik, and Kotor. And either before or after the cruise, we want to spend several days inland at the lovely alpine setting of Lake Bled, Slovenia.

Every possible cruise itinerary that we're still considering will make sure we can meet those parameters. I guess everything boils down to these two choices: 1) the 8-night "Classic Italy & the Dalmatian Coast", Rome-Venice or Venice-Rome (Wind Surf or Star Breeze) or 2) the 9-night "Venetian Passageways", Venice-Athens (Star Breeze). I'd love to hear people make the case for one ship over the other, or special highlights of itinerary that might sway us to choose between the first or the second itinerary.

I've read lots of favorable reviews for both ships, so we will consider either one.

The wife and I already adore Italy, and the first cruise would be right up our alley. We've never visited Rovinj, Split, and Messina, so I imagine the culture of these Adriatic ports would be comfortably familiar. On the other hand, we know little to nothing about Butrint, Katakolon, Itea, Hydra, and Athens. So if we wanted something really unique and different, there'd be plenty new to savor in Albania and Greece. Variety is the spice of life, right?

The wife is amused at my willingness to be such a travel agent, and so she's letting me do all the homework. I'm such an analytical guy and used to obsessing over objective facts, and sometimes I need to shut that logical stuff down and pay attention to people that can talk about the intangibles. You know, the stuff one can't pick up by looking in a catalog or browsing online. Your thoughts, please? :)

Edited by LTC Dan

We cruised out of Athens about 15 years ago. We stayed after the cruise and did a four day bus trip around Greece including Olympia. We loved Athens and the Platka (sp?) or Old Town was fantastic at that time. The shopping and museums and food and nightlife were outstanding!

We also spent 17 days touring Italy on our own 5 years ago and you can't beat extra days in Rome or Venice. We rented apartments in both locations and enjoyed seeing those cities "like a local" or pretended to be locals!

We were on the Wind Spirit last year on their Panama Canal cruise. We loved the ship and had such a great time on the small cruise ship that we are booked on the Wind Surf in January 2016 for their Classic Caribbean cruise.

Before deciding on the classic Caribbean cruise I looked at some of the Mediterranean cruises from Wind Star but couldn't make up my mind on sails or no sails. Since we live in Minnesota we opted for an escape from winter cruise instead and went with the sails.

I probably didn't help you much on your decision but perhaps I helped with some food for thought! Oh and I love playing travel agent too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Ski Mom 2

Thanks, Ski Mom 2. So you're used to the canvas, huh? I have to admit that whole "billowing sails" notion seems really cool. Every cruise for us has been an effort to find something different that we've never tried before.

That's a really good intangible to get us started on this thread.

I have a vivid imagination, and one such dream I've had would be sailing out of an Egyptian port under a rose red sunset with a warm breeze flowing seaward from the Sahara. And over the loudspeakers the Captain would be playing a different sail-away tune than normal - the first three songs from The Alan Parsons Project album "Pyramid". If anyone knows that album, they'd agree that "Voyager", "What Goes Up?", and "The Eagle Will Fly Again" have a mystical, mysterious and theatrical quality that would pay tribute to the location.

Of course, that might be sacrilege to the longtime Windstar loyalists that are used to the other sail-away tune. Or maybe a few folks are ready to turn the page?

I know Windstar no longer sails anywhere to the northern Mediterranean coast of the African continent, so that's another reason this fantasy will remain just that, a fantasy.

Glad I met another quasi travel agent. That's not work, that's fun.

Pretty much a "no-lose" scenario either way.

I had a look at your ports for both; lots of different ports on Venetian Passageways, lots of great ports on Classic Italy.

Assuming you can't decide by flipping a coin, preferring one final destination over another (Rome, Venice or Athens) or choosing dates which will work best for you (I usually find that one itinerary meets all my other criteria perfectly and the decision is then taken from me), I've been on the yachts, and the new ships, and I enjoy both; but there is nothing like seeing your sailing yacht bobbing in the harbour.

Just sayin'

Having said that....9 days > 8 days!

I would vote Venice and Athens, not for just Athens but the New Acropolis Museum is just so fantastic, the Elgrin Marbles just need to go home. It was a terrific museum and probably, financially, why the country us so broke. We had a guide that took us to the island of Agenia, it was unbelievable. The Temple of Athena us on the vertex if the holy equalateral triangle, the modt beautiful Temple. Then the 365 miniature churches with the ancient painting inside, incredible a World a Heritage Site Wonderful island, so authentic and not many people go to it. My vote, Rome one can go to anytime with everyone else in the works. The Island of Agenia a wonder( you need a car and or driver). Happy Sailing Susanne

My advice concerns not where, but when. You state that you're going in the fall. We took the Rome to Venice cruise on the Windsurf October 13 through 21 this year, and ran into more rain than I would have liked. I recommend mid to late September.

We have been to Med at least a dozen times in October and rarely have we had anything but lovely weather. It is our favorite time to be there.

We are considering the Classic Italy and Dalmation coast for next year and also wondering about sails versus cabin size. Croatia is stunning and the main appeal of that itinerary for us. Venice is not a favorite and we will add time in Rome on our own if we do book. While we did enjoy Athens and the Greek Isles, these were heavily touristed when we visited in the late 90s. Cannot imagine them now.

Our other option is a river cruise in Bordeaux as we love that type of cruising and that itinerary totally appeals due to focus on wine and food, two of our favorite things, as well as fewer tourists. We need to decide very soon as we have excursions to research and book if we do choose Windstar. In France, all of that would already be included.

Good luck with your decision!

Edited by caviargal

Thanks, Snow Cat. You're right on all those counts. It's probably more of a no-brainer than I let on at first. But I've learned that it's best to ask others to chime in to avoid 1) being a smarty pants know-it-all, and 2) getting most of my exercise by jumping to conclusions. The best date for us will probably be right at the end of September or first of October. There's a good one on October 18th on Star Breeze, and that late in the season means lower traffic in Venice and probably lower fares -- BUT colder and wetter weather much of the time. So I think that trade-off isn't so attractive.

There's a really nice Rome-Venice Wind Surf option on September 23rd, and that cruise will probably have fantastic weather, but probably heavy crowds in the ports of Venice and Dubrovnik, not to mention the other places. So that one's doable, but not ideal.

I think the two remaining options for us are on September 30th (Venice-Athens, Star Breeze) and October 1st (Venice-Rome, Wind Surf). Like you said, 9 days > 8 days, but I also like this thing you said: "...there is nothing like seeing your sailing yacht bobbing in the harbour. Just sayin..."

My heart tells me to take our first Windstar trip on the magnificent sailing yacht Wind Surf.

Thanks, Strenz. I appreciate your vote for "Venetian Passageways". The DW has been to Athens briefly, but I've never set foot in Greece at all. It is something I've wanted to do eventually. I think we would want to spend at least a couple days there to do it justice. Meanwhile, we REALLY want to make sure we spend at least one non-cruise day in Venice for old times sake. And we REALLY need to spend at least a couple days (if not 3 or 4) inland at Lake Bled. All those days will add up if we do the Venice-Athens option.

I am finding all the port listings for "Classic Italy & the Dalmatian Coast" perfect in every respect. Venice, Dubrovnik, and Kotor. And then tack on Rojinj (which looks like a lovely jewel), Split, Messina, Capri, and Rome, and I can hardly wait. As Snow Cat says, it's a no-lose scenario either way.

My advice concerns not where, but when. You state that you're going in the fall. We took the Rome to Venice cruise on the Windsurf October 13 through 21 this year, and ran into more rain than I would have liked. I recommend mid to late September.

Couldn't be more right, avalong. When I did my semester abroad experience in Genoa (Fall 1979), there was an autumn rain storm for several days straight. It didn't deter me from seeing the sights, but I really hope this anniversary cruise will be as ideal as we can find. Howling winds and rain aren't tons of fun.

Hey caviargal, I'm glad to hear you had such good fortune weather-wise sailing in October. Maybe you can optimize your sailing experience when you do the "Classic Italy & the Dalmatian Coast" by doing the September 23rd itinerary from Rome to Venice. That way you can tack on several days upfront in Rome (which you prefer), disembark in Venice when it's over and head straight to the airport. No gondolas and cheesy tourist venues, right?

Our other option is a river cruise in Bordeaux as we love that type of cruising and that itinerary totally appeals due to focus on wine and food, two of our favorite things, as well as fewer tourists.

Good luck with your decision!

Oh boy, a river cruise in Bordeaux sure sounds nice and relaxing. I think the Windstar cruise is a great value for the amount spent, but you've chosen a good alternative if river cruising is your thing. Either way, have fun!

Hey caviargal, I'm glad to hear you had such good fortune weather-wise sailing in October. Maybe you can optimize your sailing experience when you do the "Classic Italy & the Dalmatian Coast" by doing the September 23rd itinerary from Rome to Venice. That way you can tack on several days upfront in Rome (which you prefer), disembark in Venice when it's over and head straight to the airport. No gondolas and cheesy tourist venues, right?

We are looking at May actually as we have a Danube cruise booked for October of 2016. Not sure if I would call river cruises "relaxing" though as we spend every possible minute in the ports and stay quite busy.

The itinerary does end in Venice and yes, we would head straight to the airport at the conclusion of our cruise. If we do choose this one, we will likely opt for some time in Liguria prior to embarkation.

Edited by caviargal

If we do choose this one, we will likely opt for some time in Liguria prior to embarkation.

Oh my Gosh, yes. The Ligurian coast is exquisite! :D If you are nimble and can manage stairs everywhere, by all means enjoy multiple days in Cinque Terre and Portofino. The food is wonderful there, but you probably already knew that. ;)

Oh my Gosh, yes. The Ligurian coast is exquisite! :D If you are nimble and can manage stairs everywhere, by all means enjoy multiple days in Cinque Terre and Portofino. The food is wonderful there, but you probably already knew that. ;)

Liguria is a long time favorite and we have stayed there several times. However, we do not care for the CT or Portofino as (like Venice) we find them far too touristy for our personal preference.

I will never forget my one visit to the CT about 15 years ago. I had wanted to visit for years and we took an early train into Monterosso as our first stop. It was swarming with tourists who all seemed to be carrying the same Rick Steeves book. We had an overpriced espresso, walked around for a couple of hours, decided there was far more English being spoken than Italian, and left. CT IMO is best seen from the water where one can enjoy the views of the gorgeous coastline.

We were so happy we were staying further south, based on the recommendation of friends who live in Florence who vacationed in Liguria annually.

We last stayed in Liguria in 2012 and took the ferry over to Portofino one morning. It had been at least 25 years since we visited that town and I was so disappointed at what it has become. The streets were lined with tacky tourist shops and the entire town felt like an impersonal cruise ship stop.

We seek out the less touristy destinations as that is our preference. If Rick Steeves recommends it, that is enough to keep us away.:cool:

The best date for us will probably be right at the end of September or first of October. There's a good one on October 18th on Star Breeze, and that late in the season means lower traffic in Venice and probably lower fares -- BUT colder and wetter weather much of the time. So I think that trade-off isn't so attractive.

You're right about the weather of course, but like another poster in this thread we have been in late October, early November many times and had great weather and no crowds. Of course we mentally prepare for rain and hope for the best!

Liguria is a long time favorite and we have stayed there several times. However, we do not care for the CT or Portofino as (like Venice) we find them far too touristy for our personal preference.

We seek out the less touristy destinations as that is our preference. If Rick Steeves recommends it, that is enough to keep us away.:cool:

Oh gosh, what a shame. I tend to avoid the high season traffic at all costs. Shoulder season is much more my speed, or if I can't make the calendar work, I'll seek out the back alleys.

BTW, my son attended the exact same Clemson architectural graduate studio that I did, only 30+ years later. And he took his girlfriend to Portofino for a quick getaway, they took a stroll in the hills outside town, and he dropped to a knee and proposed. THAT's romantic! :D

A quick tip for caviargal and all my other pals who were so nice and responded to the thread....

If you want a LOVELY (and I do mean lovely) out-of-the-way spot for a vacation, and you want to do something other than a cruise, rent a car out of Salzburg and take the drive to Hallstadtt, Austria. It probably has some high season hubub, so try off-season just to be sure. When we went it was cool, sweater weather with a mystical haze on the lake. It is a tiny town surrounded by massive alpine peaks perched above a jewel of a lake. The town center is picture-perfect. It's just far enough away from Salzburg that most people give it a miss, yet it is a UNESCO World Heritage Site nonetheless.:)

Hallstatt-Austria.jpg.855294acc7d9c0ce6949f570592f7605.jpg

You're right about the weather of course, but like another poster in this thread we have been in late October, early November many times and had great weather and no crowds. Of course we mentally prepare for rain and hope for the best!

A good strategy to be sure. I'm so tempted to roll the dice and go with the one on Oct 18th, because at the lower fare rate we can spend so much more on other cool things, like a longer stay at Lake Bled. But I think the one on October 1st probably is calling my name.

:D

Oh gosh, what a shame. I tend to avoid the high season traffic at all costs. Shoulder season is much more my speed, or if I can't make the calendar work, I'll seek out the back alleys.

BTW, my son attended the exact same Clemson architectural graduate studio that I did, only 30+ years later. And he took his girlfriend to Portofino for a quick getaway, they took a stroll in the hills outside town, and he dropped to a knee and proposed. THAT's romantic! :D

Yes, it is romantic indeed!

We travel to Europe between mid October to April, with an occasional trip in May. Last year we went in July and it was awful - overcrowded, expensive and unbearably hot. Never again.

We were last in Portofino in late October. The highlight for us was our (5 mile) walk back to SML from Portofino to catch the ferry "home".

Yes, it is romantic indeed!

We travel to Europe between mid October to April, with an occasional trip in May. Last year we went in July and it was awful - overcrowded, expensive and unbearably hot. Never again.

There are so many cruise line offering in Summertime, and the big tourist destinations have hoards of vacationing families. Nice folks I'm sure, but just too much mayhem fighting through the crowds. So the way I figure it is this -- find a very small ship, see a bunch of out-of-the-way places, and choose a date on the calendar when all the adorable cherubs are back in school. Sounds like the Windstar way of seeing the world to me.