Least favorite Carnival port of call

MaiTaiMary

We had such a great time on our Carnival excursion in Belize. I'm just shocked at how many people didn't like it. Snorkeling was great! Sounds like we made the right decision to not venture around the port. Loved Belize and can't wait to go back in the fall!:D

We did the CCL cave tubing excursion in Belize and had an absolute blast!

Just outside the port area was a little sketchy though.

Have visited most Caribbean ports.

Not crazy about Nassau and Belize, but if you ever visit Falmouth, Jamaica, those 2 spots would be paradise. Worst ever.

We attempted to visit a local small beach that was recommended online and had to walk about 5 blocks to meet the driver in front of a local bank.

Enroute we ran into someone and agreed upon the price for two. When we went to pay, he raised the price and was very nasty when we told him that wasn't "the deal".

One of the locals selling things was also nasty to us when we didn't buy something.

When we got to the spot we were to meet the driver with 3 other couples, a very obvious prostitute and her **** were in front of the bank...The driver arrived and a long conversation ensued with a policeman who appeared there.

The cop insisted that the driver bring us back to the ship because supposedly he didn't pay some type of licensing fee.....Could be true or he was looking for a kickback from the driver. Not sure.

In any case, the policeman didn't care about the prostitute and **** right in front of the bank, but came down hard on the driver.

The driver did take us back to the ship and we were thrilled to be back.

#1 Nassau or La Romana toss up... Can't stand either and unsafe

#2 Jamaica any port (but Falmouth is the worst)

#3 Colon Panama, dirty and unsafe

#4 Belize

I really don't like Freeport itself, however, I LOVE Tony Macaroni's on Taino beach which makes it worth it for me...

I'll admit to being one of the minority that actually likes Nassau.:o I'm not bothered by the pushy vendors, hair braiders, taxi drivers, and such. I say a polite and smiling "No thanks, we have other plans", while walking assertively past, with no trouble. Then we go on to Junkanoo Beach, the Straw Market, Ardastra Gardens Zoo, or wherever else we are headed. And we always go to the Fish Fry.:D Yum. That is a highlight of my cruise.

I look forward to a stop in Nassau when I'm "homesick" for the Bahamas. We go to a small Abaco Out Island, Green Turtle Cay, at least once a year, and other than the Eastern Shore of MD, it's my favourite place in the world. I love the island, I love the people, I love the food, I love the music, and did I say I love the food?:p

And although Nassau is about as similar to "my" little island as Washington, D.C. is to my little town here on the Shore, it's still the Bahamas, with Bahamian people (albeit city people vs. country people), Bahamian music, Bahamian turquoise water, and Bahamian FOOD!:D

For those that never have, don't be afraid to venture out into Nassau a little - there's plenty worth experiencing. Yes, just like all "big cities", Nassau has crime and bad neighbourhoods. Just stay in groups, stick to the touristy or well-populated areas, watch out for pick-pockets in the crowded stores, be aware of your surroundings, and NEVER GO 'OVER THE HILL'.;)

Montego Bay, Jamaica. Gross and dirty country. Extremely pushy vendors that won't let you just browse. Nothing really to do at port except for a small welcome center that was closed down the day after we were there. I have no desire to go back to this port, and will avoid it if I can help it.

We loved Costa Maya too. We went to Alma Plena Eco Resort.

Our least favorite is a toss up between Montego Bay and Belize.

We also went to Alma Plena and it was one of the worst excursions we have been on. I am told we just had an off day, but it was bad.

#1 Nassau or La Romana toss up... Can't stand either and unsafe

#2 Jamaica any port (but Falmouth is the worst)

#3 Colon Panama, dirty and unsafe

#4 Belize

I really don't like Freeport itself, however, I LOVE Tony Macaroni's on Taino beach which makes it worth it for me...

Love Tony's!

We had such a great time on our Carnival excursion in Belize. I'm just shocked at how many people didn't like it. Snorkeling was great! Sounds like we made the right decision to not venture around the port. Loved Belize and can't wait to go back in the fall!:D

Belize City is truly an armpit and you have a long tender ride to get there. But we did have a very fun biking through the jungle excursion.

Easy choice, Freeport for me. At least Nassau has a spice shop that I get off the ship for a quick visit each time we dock there.

Where is the spice shop?

Nassau was fun once.

Queen's staircase and pink building.

I hate seeing passengers getting in horse drawn carriages with skinny or lame horses.

People, if you can see ribs please say no.

If the horse is sweating heavily or breathing hard, please pass by.

And if the horse is limping just say no.

It is called being humane.

I have no problem with well cared for horses working for a living.

Nassau. Nassau. But mostly Nassau.

I see lots of people didn't like Jamaica. I went to Ocho Rios prepared to hate it but we had the best time. The people were some of the friendliest on any island we've been on and we didn't experience any pushy vendors. We were pretty much left alone.

But I hate Nassau.

Edited by Jenhem31

I've only been on two cruises, but haven't had a bad port yet.

First cruise was Progreso and Cozumel. Progreso we got off the ship and walked a little and ran into an American couple that moved there. They directed us to a little local restaurant/bar where we had the best chicken nachos, quesadillas and margaritas! Then we walked down to a bar on the beach and played volleyball. Cozumel we shopped and walked around then got a cab to Bob Marley's restaurant and sat on the beach and ate and drank and relaxed. Wonderful experience at both places!

Our 2nd cruise was with the kids and other family members and we went to Key West, Freeport and Nassau. In Key West we walked to the southernmost point and shopped on the way. By the way it is more than a 20 minute walk!!! We got a cab back to the ship. In Freeport we just browsed the shops at the port and bought some handmade souvenirs. The locals were very polite and didn't hassle us at all. I loved talking with some of the little old ladies as they showed me their crafts.

Nassau was by far the best! We went to Blue Lagoon and swam with the Dolphins, then enjoyed their beach for the rest of the day.

Our next cruise will take us to Grand Cayman, Montego Bay and back to Cozumel (with my mom and our kids this time). We will have a great time at those three ports also.

I think your cruise is what you make of it and plenty of people on here trash certain ports and I think a lot of cruisers go in already being negative about the places they read about. Go in with a positive attitude and research beforehand!! On your own! Do not go by this site alone to make your plans.

Just my two cents :)