Always Available Items with new Curtis Stone Dishes

IECalCruiser

I think the negative comments about Curtis Stone are very unfair, especially coming from those who have not yet tried the food. If you've tried it and didn't like it, that's another matter entirely. But to dismiss something new because you don't think you will like it is premature at best.

I absoutely agree!! :)

As the wife says, "If I want to share a plate with 12 strangers, I can do that it in Horizon Court and save $39."

I can assure you that while that might have been described in the concept marketing, that is absolutely not how it's playing out in reality. Beautifully-plated single-consumer dishes sized for one. Period.

(As for the lobster foam, the foam did not look like saliva or cover the entire lobster tail when I had it, and the endive was absolutely delicious)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone

I haven't read all the posts here but we're just off the Dawn and the always available items by Curtis Stone were Pork Belly, Leek Pot Pie and Osso Bucco.

The dishes were not popular with the Pacific Cruise crowd onboard. Too stodgy and cold weather style dishes. I had the Osso Bucco and it was horrible. It didn't even look appetizing when it arrived. We really missed the salmon and chicken options but our waiter was excellent and got us the salmon one night anyway.

The shrimp cocktail had a tasteless lemon myrtle dressing instead of the old horseradish but the fettucine alfredo was still there in it's cheese basket.

Hi everyone

I haven't read all the posts here but we're just off the Dawn and the always available items by Curtis Stone were Pork Belly, Leek Pot Pie and Osso Bucco.

The dishes were not popular with the Pacific Cruise crowd onboard. Too stodgy and cold weather style dishes. I had the Osso Bucco and it was horrible. It didn't even look appetizing when it arrived. We really missed the salmon and chicken options but our waiter was excellent and got us the salmon one night anyway.

That's good to know.

Hi everyone

The shrimp cocktail had a tasteless lemon myrtle dressing instead of the old horseradish but the fettucine alfredo was still there in it's cheese basket.

That's disappointing to hear, with all the hoopla about Curtis Stone!

Glad the fettuccine alfredo is still on the menu....it's the only fettuccine I will eat and in the cheese basket, it is just so yummy! We get it as an appetizer in the basket!

I haven't read all the way through this thread either. Just off of the Ruby last weekend and here were the always available Curtis Stone choices along with his comment about each one.

Roasted Beets and Quiona Salad with Grilled Chicken Breast

goat cheese, fennel and pecans

"The tarragon vinaigrette coats and clings to the grains of quinoa,

infusing them with plenty of tangy flavor. I also love the way

pecans interplay with the nuttiness of the grain."

Mac & Cheese

Gruyere, chedder, bacon

"With a cheesy crust and gooey center, I think that the combination

of chedder and Gruyere puts this mac & cheese over the top."

Grilled Flank Steak

potatoe, cauliflower, Camembert gratin

"The cauliflower gives the gratin a subtle layer of flavor while

Camembert makes it more luxurious. The simply grilled steak is

cooked to medium and sliced against the grain so it's super tender

and just melts in your mouth."

The Mac & Cheese was the only thing that Mrs. ar1950 considered ordering, but, there was always something better on the main menu. So we neither one ever tried any of the CS selections.

Edited by ar1950

Reading threads from today passengers boarding the Coral after the drydock said that Share did not replace Sabatini's. Princess previously told them that Share would be there but they haven't heard about why not.

There could be several reasons why not but have to wonder if they're waiting to see if Share will be profitable before adding to other ships.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I haven't read all the way through this thread either. Just off of the Ruby last weekend and here were the always available Curtis Stone choices along with his comment about each one.

Mac & Cheese

Gruyere, chedder, bacon

Grilled Flank Steak

The Mac & Cheese was the only thing that Mrs. ar1950 considered ordering, but, there was always something better on the main menu. So we neither one ever tried any of the CS selections.

Sounds way better than the options we had.

Is this the menu on CB?

Just got off the CB and the always available C.S. items were Flank Steak, Pork Tenderloin and a third one I can not remember. Only one person at our table tried a C.S. entrée. It was the Flank Steak and said it was only OK. The flank steak was sliced fairly thick which is so wrong. Should not be cooked past medium rare and very thinly sliced on the bias.

One item on the left side of the menu was a grilled butterfly shrimp appetizer and it was delicious. Only showed up on the first night though. They always would serve the traditional shrimp cocktail even though not on the menu. We had it a couple of nights.

One other thought, we really enjoyed the food in the MDR. Thought it was one of the best cruises we have gone on and have 19 Princess cruises under our belts. Food ranged from very good to excellent. Never needed to order any of C.S. items. However I do wish the old options were still available.

I am glad I read this post. We are elite on princess with 25 cruises.

I happy that our next two cruises are on celebrity. Maybe princess will put back the always avaiable menu items before we cruise again with princess.

Will someone start a poll about menu change. This may show princess that we are not happy with the changes to the MRD menu.

Pam

I happy that our next two cruises are on celebrity. Maybe princess will put back the always avaiable menu items before we cruise again with princess.

Will someone start a poll about menu change. This may show princess that we are not happy with the changes to the MRD menu.

Pam

We can only say that, contrary to some recent food posts, we were quite happy with the MDR food on our recent Ruby cruise. I am not sure how to explain it, but, on our last 2 Ruby cruises the food was not quite "right". On the January Hawaii cruise the food was definitely back to being "right". Did not miss anything IOHO by the missing always available selections. There were plenty of great choices on the menu every night. :cool:

True & hopefully it's successful resulting in a new generation of cruise passengers for Princess. :)

Although such food options are not enjoyed by all younger passengers who like the food Princess offers including my kids. When I began cruising my mid-30s it wasn't trendy food that attracted me but a quality classic style of food. I'm skeptical if things like CS food & the gastropub will attract a sizable number of younger passengers away from more trendy & active cruise lines such as RCCL but hopefully for Princess' sake they will sail with them. :)

As a younger cruiser that enjoys great food when it comes to choosing a cruise the most important factor is the itinerary. Without that I would never get to the point where I am looking at the dining options. My wife has multiple food allergies and the number 1 factor deciding the cruise is where it starts, where it finishes and where it spends the time in between.

I am intrigued by the gastropub though.,

I remain puzzled by the variety of reports as to which CS dishes are always available in the MDR.

Seems "Always Availabe" now means available on this ship at the moment.

I would agree with that. The Curtis Stone menus seem to be experimental.

Has anyone been on the Diamond recently?

As a younger cruiser that enjoys great food when it comes to choosing a cruise the most important factor is the itinerary. Without that I would never get to the point where I am looking at the dining options. My wife has multiple food allergies and the number 1 factor deciding the cruise is where it starts, where it finishes and where it spends the time in between.

I am intrigued by the gastropub though.,

On our Ruby Hawaii cruise a few of the people including the entertainers Elua really enjoyed the Gastropup concept dining experience. We will probably try it in the future based on their comments.

Pam

I don't know how to do that but if someone starts a poll please place a link here.

Do you remember what the CS always available meals were? Was the sushi restaurant in place? And has the International Cafe really been removed?

There was chicken and leek pot pie

Occo Busso

Pork Belly

I think one more

There was Kai aushi but in 34 days never saw a single person in there

No IC but great coffee etc a Lobby Bar.

Originally Posted by GUT2407 View Post

There was chicken and leek pot pie

Occo Busso

Pork Belly

I think one more

There was Kai aushi but in 34 days never saw a single person in there

No IC but great coffee etc a Lobby Bar.

The CS menu sounds very like the Dawn without the sushi. I'm disappointed about the demise of the International Cafe. It was always good to have a 'healthy' meal option, not to mention a wonderful cafe envirnoment.

Edited by wishfulone

Mac & Cheese

Gruyere, chedder, bacon

Grilled Flank Steak

I certainly hope there were more choices than this.

There is absolutely nothing for non-meat eaters!

I'm a vegetarian (I eat fish so not strictly, but am allergic to shellfish) and there is nothing on this menu I could eat.

However, in the past Princess has been more than accommodating in making meals I could eat and I don't see any reason for that changing.

Edited by chamima

I certainly hope there were more choices than this.

There is absolutely nothing for non-meat eaters!

I'm a vegetarian (I eat fish so not strictly, but am allergic to shellfish) and there is nothing on this menu I could eat.

However, in the past Princess has been more than accommodating in making meals I could eat and I don't see any reason for that changing.

Those are only the Curtis Stone everyday items,

There are also "other" everyday items AND

The items f the day.

Wife was NEVER unable to get a vegetarian or Vegan meal, I think twice she had to ask for something "off menu" and even then it wasn't that there was nothing on the menu, just either it was something she doesn't like or had had recently. Never an issue just ask the waiter.