Back from Diamond Princess NZ cruise - incl sweet suite life upsell offer

to_dee

Earlier this year we went on our 2nd cruise and it was our 1st Princess cruise & we loved it. Once back at home by chance I saw a super special and we booked again, same cabin, same ship, same itin.

The dates this time 8-21 Dec.

And then to my DELIGHT 3 weeks prior to departure I received an email with the title Upsell Offer. We had a mini suite booked and would we like to pay to upgrade to a full suite?? OMG YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D Yes we would like to yes we would love to :D:D

So highlight of the trip was SWEET suite life. The perks of suite life that we loved were:

• check in - wow zooming straight to the front of the line with no one in front was an amazing way to start our vacay
  • the suite C757 was huge and so relaxing we spent quite a lot of time in our suite
  • breakfast at Sabatinis was the BEST. I had to indulge in more caps there as it was a delight everyday. Eggs benny hot and cooked to order, french toast crispy and mouth wateringly yummy. And not to have to go to the buffet was so nice. Such a relaxing environment to start the day. I think this was actually my fav perk. Oh and the fresh OJ ahhhhh.
  • being able to order the MDR meals to room service was so fancy and nice
  • room service breakkie on the last day looking over Syd Harbour also super nice

Things we learned on this trip:

1. It does make a different being at the very back of the ship - for our tummies anyway :o. I grew up on boats, been on 2 cruises before but this was my intro to sea sickness. Not major attack but I do think the side to side motion at the back of the ship made a difference to us. We normally book a mini in the back 1/3 of the ship so I figured we'd be fine for the AFT suite and 90% yes we were but when it was rough the added side to side movt wasnt so great. We all got sea sick more than once which was a suprise. We popped some tabs and or ginger and headed up on deck and it wasnt a drama but a bit of a surprise nonetheless.
  2. Fiordland cruising is wonderful - we missed the south island on the last trip. We made it to all ports of call this time. That said it was very rough getting in/out of the fiords. Not a good idea to stay on our AFT balcony as we discovered - major up and down..poor tummies.
  3. We discovered the mini golf - never noticed it on the first cruise - bit of extra fun that we loved.
  4. We didnt take the drinks package this time and it worked out much better for us, in that we still drank what we wanted but spent a lot less.
  5. The "theme" nights in the buffet were fun and a nice change of pace from the regular offerings. We didnt really go to the buffet much on our last cruise so we kind of missed the fact that these exist.
  6. I think the "ride" we had this time was probably more representative of a realistic average sea conditions in the Tasman. Last run we had was very smooth between Aust-NZ & vv. We did have one storm night on the last trip which the Captn said was over 5 hours of winds averging over 150km/hr but we felt fine during that rough weather in our cabin. This cruise had a few nights of "rock n roll" as the staff described it. I guess it was rough as the staff were talking about it not just passengers. And I suspect our cabin location also contributed.

On another note for the last few days of the cruise the couple in the suite next door must have had gastro as the trolley labelled "Hit Squad" was outside their door for 2 days. Our room steward didnt go into their room during that time and all their room cleanings were removed via bio hazard bags. We're pretty super careful with Hands First always used and we only use the bathroom in our cabin & also hands wash for 2 rounds of happy bday, we dont touch railings or lift buttons with fingers etc etc. We didnt get sick but we did also rewipe over everything in our cabin (my paranoia LOL) and avoid the buffet for the last few days. There was no general announcement or extra precautions being taken in the buffet or anything so perhaps an isolated case.

I will post the menu pics and a few cabins pics later once I get organised :)

One last quick note after our Oct cruise I felt like crap for 3 days after the cruise with major vertigo. After this cruise absolutely a-ok no post cruise vertigo - which is a huge relief.

Edited by to_dee

Glad you enjoyed your cruise. We were on it too and I'm just trying to pick who you might have been in Sabatinis:).

You were right about getting in and out of the Fiords in an aft-facer but the best place to be for photos. We were riding pretty high:eek: The weather through Milford Sound was just perfect as it was in the Marlborough Sound.

Cheers

Di

Thanks for sharing, glad you enjoyed your cruise. Yes on the 3 times we have been across the Tasman it has been rough, including 40 foot seas in 2007 on old Regal Princess.

My wife and 18 yr old granddaughter are on Diamond, Syd-NZ-Syd on Jan 23. Uncle Les booked them on E deck, mid ships, reasonably stable there re pitching and sort of cabin we normally book, almost no obstruction. I stay well away from forward/aft cabins, for the reasons you now know!!

You did well getting a suite. Now you are spoilt, no going back to inside/outside cabins!

Edited by NSWP

Glad you enjoyed your cruise. We were on it too and I'm just trying to pick who you might have been in Sabatinis:).

You were right about getting in and out of the Fiords in an aft-facer but the best place to be for photos. We were riding pretty high:eek: The weather through Milford Sound was just perfect as it was in the Marlborough Sound.

Cheers

Di

And that was some crazy weather in Akaroa - we sat out the rain in my fav restaurant Ma Maison. Best afternoon ever watching the ship disappear in the heavy rain, then reappear whilst eating a fabulous lunch. Awesome hot chocolate too.

I was the one in the corner guzzling french toast LOL.

Thanks for sharing, glad you enjoyed your cruise. Yes on the 3 times we have been across the Tasman it has been rough, including 40 foot seas in 2007 on old Regal Princess.

My wife and 18 yr old granddaughter are on Diamond, Syd-NZ-Syd on Jan 23. Uncle Les booked them on E deck, mid ships, reasonably stable there re pitching and sort of cabin we normally book, almost no obstruction. I stay well away from forward/aft cabins, for the reasons you now know!!

You did well getting a suite. Now you are spoilt, no going back to inside/outside cabins!

40 ft sounds scary :eek:

So true we are mid ship or close to mid ship all the way now. And yes now I feel like I want to cull back the number of cruises and upgrade - or win the lotto that would also work ;)

Thanks for the tip on a rear cabin for those of us who get sea sick. A cabin at the rear of the ship could be a decision I could regret for a longer cruise, I've always wondered about this.

The aft-facers are fantastic. There is a little more movement than mid-ship but not as bad as forward and you can't get photos like this on the side of the ship:

w1ycjq.jpg

Cheers

Di

The aft-facers are fantastic. There is a little more movement than mid-ship but not as bad as forward and you can't get photos like this on the side of the ship:

w1ycjq.jpg

Cheers

Di

you got an awesome day for it mine was foggy and wet still loved it i am told as i was not at the back at the time Golden turned that she backed up a decent size waterfall and that it looked awesome from the back , going in there there was so much to look at it is hard to know where to stand

my cabin was forward and i felt not much at all others said it was rough and i didnt know what they were on about due to not feeling much at all just a gentle roll now and then that was not a huge roll at all