Specialty Dining Tipping

Dorene1

Date: December 21, 2015 at 12:44:51 EST

To: Harriet<xxxxxxx@comcast.net>

Subject: RE: Specialty Restaurant Question

See below answer

1. Do Specialty Restaurants servers get to keep the 18% gratuity on the bill?

No, this goes into the gratuity pool, all grautiteis are split between all servers regardless where they work, only additional gratuities added to the checks are for those particular servers to keep

2. Are Specialty Restaurant servers still included in the DSC?

Yes they are

XXXXX XXXXX | Hotel Director

Norwegian XXXXX

P: +1 305.622.6854 | F: +1 305.622.6856

xxxxxx@ncl.com | http://www.ncl.com

Norwegian Cruise Line

7665 Corporate Center Drive | Miami FL 33126

I'd tend to believe the Hotel Director over Guest Services or anyone in the Miami Office.

Harriet

See below answer

No, this goes into the gratuity pool, all grautiteis are split between all servers regardless where they work, only additional gratuities added to the checks are for those particular servers to keep

Yes they are

Norwegian XXXXX

Norwegian Cruise Line

I'd tend to believe the Hotel Director over Guest Services or anyone in the Miami Office.

Harriet

thank you. I'll be calling NCL tomorrow to ask why I was told something different when they enacted the 18 percent.

And remember if you leave your auto tips intact you have tipped double for the same dinner.

Considering that the DSC is $13.50 per day and let's assume $4 is for the steward, that leaves $9.50 per day for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, not including any other meals one might eat. So that's about $3.16 or less per meal. So even if you feel that it is a double tip, it is only a double tip by about $3.16.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As we all know we can call NCL Corporate 3 times and ask the same question and will 3 different answers.

Harriet

I didn't just speak to the 800 number, I spoke to someone higher up, who went into a long explanation about how they were restructuring the specialty restaurant servers, so they would have different duties when not in the restaurants, etc. Sad that they felt they had to make up a story, as I would have been fine with the truth.

See below answer

Yes they are

Norwegian XXXXX

Norwegian Cruise Line

Harriet

Or LWA?

I didn't just speak to the 800 number, I spoke to someone higher up, who went into a long explanation about how they were restructuring the specialty restaurant servers, so they would have different duties when not in the restaurants, etc. Sad that they felt they had to make up a story, as I would have been fine with the truth.

Yes, and I've explained this several times straight from the staff's mouth. You not tipping more than the 18% means your server doesn't get any of it. Well 1/250th of it perhaps.

Same goes for the DSC. Your cabin steward isn't ripped off just because he's looking after 8 cabins with one person and isn't rolling in it when his cabins all have 5 people. They're paid the same. The overall overage gets split amoung the staff. The number of complaints they receive/compliments they get determines if they move up the latter, or out the door. They get the same amount if the DSC is not paid.

The only thing that will happen with all the people removing the DSC, is that NCL will up the fares, which takes us where we want it to be, pretty much a forced DSC payment.

Edited by SuiteCruiser

What do you think that will accomplish? Probably nothing more than an im sorry someone told you that.

Probably won't accomplish anything, but making me feel better by letting them know that one knows they are saying something different than what their crew is saying.

Probably won't accomplish anything, but making me feel better by letting them know that one knows they are saying something different than what their crew is saying.

So the HD just confirmed what ship's staff have been saying all along, that it is business as usual as far as pay is concerned ever since the 18% specialty gratuity and service charge was added.

Each time a cruise critic member had an earnest conversation with staff about pay and reported here that according to the individual, he had seen no change in pay, the staff were called outright liars, only out for a cash tip, and should be fired for discussing pay. I don't know, but I think if I had an inkling that my employer was leading my customers to believe one thing about my pay as it related to gratuity, but doing something entirely different, I might be ticked enough to spill the beans to a customer as well.

So glad we finally have a senior staff who had balls enough, or maybe just foolhardy enough, to tell the truth. The DSC and the 18% pool are all the same. You are in fact being double dipped on the "gratuities". And yes indeed, specialty staff are NOT excluded from the DSC.

I don't blame you for wanting to call Corporate, but they will just continue their doublespeak gobbledygook. And we have not even talked about the "service charge" aspect of the specialty charge. Gives NCL carte blanche to throw a few pennies in the pool and keep the rest.

I don't blame you for wanting to call Corporate, but they will just continue their doublespeak gobbledygook. And we have not even talked about the "service charge" aspect of the specialty charge. Gives NCL carte blanche to throw a few pennies in the pool and keep the rest.

Like I said, since I tip in the specialty restaurants, if they would have said this all along, I wouldn't have had an issue with it. What bothers me is that someone made up a story, other than telling the real deal. The person I spoke with is on vacation, so they say, so I wrote an email to them and copying Mr. Stuart asking why I was given different information. I doubt either will respond, but they both will know that they were caught.

Like I said, since I tip in the specialty restaurants, if they would have said this all along, I wouldn't have had an issue with it. What bothers me is that someone made up a story, other than telling the real deal. The person I spoke with is on vacation, so they say, so I wrote an email to them and copying Mr. Stuart asking why I was given different information. I doubt either will respond, but they both will know that they were caught.

Sorry, but it's a total waste of your time. They aren't going to discuss this with you. You are the customer, they are the company, they make the policies. NCL is not receptive to customer input on policies.

Sorry, but it's a total waste of your time. They aren't going to discuss this with you. You are the customer, they are the company, they make the policies. NCL is not receptive to customer input on policies.

Not really looking for them to discuss anything with me, as it is their business and they can run it as they like. Just wanted them to realize that if they are going to make up a story, they had better make sure everyone is on the same page, otherwise they look pretty silly.

Not really looking for them to discuss anything with me, as it is their business and they can run it as they like. Just wanted them to realize that if they are going to make up a story, they had better make sure everyone is on the same page, otherwise they look pretty silly.

I 100% support you voicing your opinions and concerns. Just that NCL has demonstrated that they do not value and are not receptive to customer input.

Sorry but you're wrong there. I actually exchanged a few emails with Andy Stuart already in March as I expressed my opinion to him about this exact double tipping matter among other things and informed him that we are moving forward to other cruise lines.

He replied to my initial email (with a personal answer even though he couldn't comment much more than the regular marketing mumbo jumbo to the things I pointed out) and we went back and forth a couple of times. While we had to agree to disagree, I felt that he was mostly genuine on those matters that he could comment about.

So while the opinions and customer input usually do not matter to them, at least Andy is (or was) open for a civilized discussion.

Sorry but you're wrong there. I actually exchanged a few emails with Andy Stuart already in March as I expressed my opinion to him about this exact double tipping matter among other things and informed him that we are moving forward to other cruise lines.

He replied to my initial email (with a personal answer even though he couldn't comment much more than the regular marketing mumbo jumbo to the things I pointed out) and we went back and forth a couple of times. While we had to agree to disagree, I felt that he was mostly genuine on those matters that he could comment about.

So while the opinions and customer input usually do not matter to them, at least Andy is (or was) open for a civilized discussion.

Great what's his email. I have been going back and forth with a useless individual at the executive office that can barely form a sentence. Would love to contact someone with some competence.

Great what's his email. I have been going back and forth with a useless individual at the executive office that can barely form a sentence. Would love to contact someone with some competence.

I've had the same issues when following up on what that corrosive material that burned my skin off in the Escape bathtub was. Three emails and no reply. I also sent one to FDR and no reply. I sent one to guest services and received a form letter back saying I will hear from them in 8 weeks.

Customer service down the drain, along with my DNA, LOL.

Astuart@ncl.com. I also sent to Andy.stuart@ncl.com as that was another one posted.

Edited by SuiteCruiser

Not to mention that everyone 'thinks' that the 18% is going to the server, therefore, not tipping the server. When in fact, the 18% (maybe minus a little) is going into NCL's pockets and not the servers.

OTOH, I, for sure, don't wish to get this HD into any kind of trouble and/or backlash for being honest and upfront with me.

Harriet

I've had the same issues when following up on what that corrosive material that burned my skin off in the Escape bathtub was. Three emails and no reply. I also sent one to FDR and no reply. I sent one to guest services and received a form letter back saying I will hear from them in 8 weeks.

Customer service down the drain, along with my DNA, LOL.

Astuart@ncl.com. I also sent to Andy.stuart@ncl.com as that was another one posted.

Guess you won't be using the phrase 'No skin off my ass!'

Sorry, had to. Thank you for the email addresses.

Not to mention that everyone 'thinks' that the 18% is going to the server, therefore, not tipping the server. When in fact, the 18% (maybe minus a little) is going into NCL's pockets and not the servers.

OTOH, I, for sure, don't wish to get this HD into any kind of trouble and/or backlash for being honest and upfront with me.

Harriet

Isn't it kind of sad that a HD would "get in trouble" for being honest about a company policy that should be transparent in the first place!