Specialty Dining Tipping

Dorene1

Do you know that for sure? Isn't there a possibility that NCL has two pools - one for non-specialty work and one for specialty work so the speciality restaurant workers get the full share of the 18% and a portion (based on where they work) of the other pool when they work in the other venues?

I can't believe people are so hung up on what NCL does with the DSC and 18% service charges. If you don't trust the company or don't believe in their practices/policies why not take your business to a cruise line that has policies and practices you believe in/approve?

A report from a NCL Hotel Director clearly said that there was one pool when asked if the specialty restaurants got to keep the 18% gratuity (No, this goes into the gratuity pool, all grautiteis are split between all servers regardless where they work, only additional gratuities added to the checks are for those particular servers to keep).

I feel that it is NCL's program and they have to right to implement the program they way they wish and I don't think it should concern anyone how it works or what employees are paid, just as I don't ask a land restaurant whether their servers gets to keep all of the tip I give them or do they have to tip out other staff members. Since many of the employees on the ships have been with NCL for many years (both my room steward and Butler on my December cruise have been with NCL for 17 and the Concierge for 8 years), one can deduce that some employees feel that they are being treated and paid fairly.

I also agree with you, if I don't like a companies business practices, then I don't do business with them, but that's me, obviously others feel differently.

Edited by NLH Arizona

For someone who is unconcerned you spend an awful lot of time participating in multiple threads on the topic. That is your prerogative of course, but clearly you have an interest or concern.

I think everyone, or most at least, here would say they are concerned that the crew are treated fairly and ethically, and as a customer I expect the same as well.

For someone who is unconcerned you spend an awful lot of time participating in multiple threads on the topic. That is your prerogative of course, but clearly you have an interest or concern.

I think everyone, or most at least, here would say they are concerned that the crew are treated fairly and ethically, and as a customer I expect the same as well.

We all have the right to voice our opinions, whether we have a deep concern on how NCL distributes the DSC, 18%, etc.

I'm concerned as well that the crew is treated fairly and ethically and haven't seen anything to the contrary. Some might not agree with how the DSC/18% are distributed out, but it doesn't mean that the crew isn't getting everything that their contract states. I would think, since there have been many, many new ships by various cruise lines that had to fill positions over the years that if NCL treated their crew so unfairly or so unethically (as some on here have insinuated), they would have moved on to another cruise line by now. What I see are many, many crew members who have been with NCL for many, many years.

Merry Christmas, LMaxwell.

Edited by NLH Arizona

We all have the right to voice our opinions, whether we have a deep concern on how NCL distributes the DSC, 18%, etc.

I'm concerned as well that the crew is treated fairly and ethically and haven't seen anything to the contrary. Some might not agree with how the DSC/18% are distributed out, but it doesn't mean that the crew isn't getting everything that their contract states. I would think, since there have been many, many new ships by various cruise lines that had to fill positions over the years that if NCL treated their crew so unfairly or so unethically (as some on here have insinuated), they would have moved on to another cruise line by now. What I see are many, many crew members who have been with NCL for many, many years.

You are entitled to your OPINIONS, but have you seen the contracts -- heard the truth from crew -- Spoken to some who HAVE moved on to other lines.

Some who post here have done this, and it provides more than OPINIONS.

That's right the contract states what they earn. I don't believe they have gotten two unscheduled uncontracted raises in 2015. If you want to thank someone cash is the best way and rremoving their employer from the equay ion probably benefits the worker the most.

. I hope Santa had you on the proper list this year.

I think one of the things that drives me the most crazy on this board is that people jump to defend the cruiseline (that doesn't need defending and brings all of the changes onto itself) instead of defending the staff and the guy who just had his cruise turn far more expensive and more complicated. As I write this, there are 3 threads with "Confusion" in the headline, it's getting crazy.

There are so many great things about this cruise line, I don't want it to change into something totally unrecognizable.

Edited by SuiteCruiser

Why do people on here get so involved in the DSC and percentages added to drinks and dining ? If it is acceptable then just pay and enjoy the cruise, if not then don't give them your custom. If the staff are not happy they can find other cruise lines, but on my recent Epic voyage everyone seemed very happy and not looking for extra.

Agreed.

I don't care about a few % here and there. We had a fine meal in Cagney's on the Jade a couple of weeks ago, I left them a $20 tip and was glad to do so.

If I give a waiter on land 18% of my bill, the restaurant doesn't pool that and give it right back to the server. It's from my hands to the servers pocket. Adding a second pool only further complicates things.

Maybe if it's in hard cash.

Otherwise you've no idea what happens if it's on a credit card. Fact.

If you are talking about the DSC, the servers in the specialty restaurants don't receive any, so no one is double tipping.

Of course you are.

Who is getting the tip that would have been paid if you didn't do a specialty, either the waiter that would have served you gets tipped for not serving you:eek:, or the line keeps it:mad:.

Either way you've tipped twice.

Even if in cash, many servers are required to tip out other staff members, so they don't know where the cash goes either.

That may be true, however, I'm thinking, as it was in the restaurant that I used to manage, the server will be tipping out the bartender and the bus person who also enhance my dining experience. I'm not thinking that the gratuity I leave the server is going into the owners pocket nor towards the owners operating expenses.

Harriet

Even if in cash, many servers are required to tip out other staff members, so they don't know where the cash goes either.

That's an agreement between the staff; they tip out their support team. they aren't lining managements pocket.

Do you see a difference?

That's an agreement between the staff; they tip out their support team. they aren't lining managements pocket.

Do you see a difference?

Your statement was that it goes from your hand right into the servers pocket, which is not always the case. Also, the Hotel Director said that the 18% went into the gratuity pool, not that it lined management's pockets.

1. Do Specialty Restaurant servers get to keep the 18% gratuity on the bill?

No, this goes into the gratuity pool, all grautiteis are split between all servers regardless where they work, only additional gratuities added to the checks are for those particular servers to keep

Edited by NLH Arizona

Your statement was that it goes from your hand right into the servers pocket, which is not always the case. Also, the Hotel Director said that the 18% went into the gratuity pool, not that it lined management's pockets.

I tip in cash, so it all goes to the workers pocket. I've done my part and eliminated any other parties getting their hands on that cash first. No boss gets their hands on it and determines if the server turned a table fast enough, or sold enough to meet a quota, etc., and has no determination how much the worker gets to keep. Whatever arrangement they have worked out with bussing and bar staff is their business and management doesn't touch the money. Do you honestly and truly not understand this? NCL manages the pool. They can determine by whatever metrics or standards THEY want as to how much money to hand out. Why you actually trust them is beyond me.

When NCL charges 18% on specialty dining don't you think most, if not all, people expect that money is going to the people that provided the service?

Two simple questions.

Edited by LMaxwell

When NCL charges 18% on specialty dining don't you think most, if not all, people expect that money is going to the people that provided the service?

Yes I do and that is what NCL wrongly told me. But you are saying it is lining NCL management's pockets, which is contrary to what the Hotel Director is saying:

No, this goes into the gratuity pool, all grautiteis are split between all servers regardless where they work, only additional gratuities added to the checks are for those particular servers to keep

See the difference?

Edited by NLH Arizona

Yes I do and that is what NCL wrongly told me. But you are saying it is lining NCL management's pockets, which is contrary to what the Hotel Director is saying:

See the difference?

Yes, NCL is being dishonest, we agree.

If the specialty staff are in the pool, why do they need to collect both the daily DSC and an additional 18% on specialty dining?

Do you really believe all the workers in the pool got 3 unscheduled pay raises in 2015 outside of what their contract says they will earn?

See the difference?

So, it sounds like there is a 'gratuity pool' which is different than the DSC pool? Or did the HD say 'gratuity pool' instead of referring to DSC?

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

We board the Gateway a week from tomorrow. We have purchased the 3-meal Specialty Dining Package at $69.62 each. Dividing this amount by three, the average cost per dinner is $23.21--and this average includes an 18% gratuity of $3.54 per dinnner. For the sake of argument, let's say that the waiters get another $1.50 from the DSC. In round numbers, the total gratuity is about five dollars.

By comparison, if we go to the Bancroft (a steak restaurant in nearby Burlington, MA), the total tab for an appetizer, salad, small filet, dessert and coffe would easily be $80 each, if not $100. An 18% tip on an $80 bill would be $14.40. As I see it. the waiters on Getaway are due another $9.60 per person (equal to $14.40 minus $5.00). Let's round it up to $10.00. Of course, if you're ordering multiple appetizers, it should be more.

P.S.--You can be sure that any cash given directly to your waiters is actually received by them, and not shared with NCL.

Edited by ajames

So, it sounds like there is a 'gratuity pool' which is different than the DSC pool? Or did the HD say 'gratuity pool' instead of referring to DSC?

Harriet

The staff do not refer to the DSC, they talk about the tip pool, which is where the overages of the tips get split.

That may be true, however, I'm thinking, as it was in the restaurant that I used to manage, the server will be tipping out the bartender and the bus person who also enhance my dining experience. I'm not thinking that the gratuity I leave the server is going into the owners pocket nor towards the owners operating expenses.

Harriet

I agree that if I leave the server a tip, I don't want it going into the owners pocket for operating expenses, but where did the Hotel Director say this was happening? He said the 18% went into the tip pool. If he would have said, 50% goes into the tip pool and the rest goes to the cruise lines bottom line, then that is a different story. Possibly that question could be directed toward the Hotel Director for clarification.

Yes, NCL is being dishonest, we agree.

If the specialty staff are in the pool, why do they need to collect both the daily DSC and an additional 18% on specialty dining?

Do you really believe all the workers in the pool got 3 unscheduled pay raises in 2015 outside of what their contract says they will earn?

I agree that NCL was dishonest in the answer they gave me, based on what the Hotel Director said. Do I or anyone else know for sure that they are being dishonest on how they distribute the DSC, 18%, etc., I have no idea and unless I see facts, I won't vilify them.

No one on here really knows how the money is distributed; did the increases in the DSC and the 18% gratuity (who we are told went into the pool) go toward more incentives for the crew, increases for some of the better crew members or was more money put into the crew welfare fund (which also benefits the crew), etc. All I know is that how the crew is paid is between them and their employer and as long as the crew members are getting paid what their contract says that is all that really matters. Logic tells me that an employee is not going to stay with a company for 8, 10 or 17 years if they are getting screwed like some are insinuating, especially since there has been so many new mega ships built in recent years that had to be staffed, giving them an option to leave and go with another line. You might disagree and that is fine, I'm not looking to change your opinion, just voicing my opinion.

Harriet

Are they different? That would be another great question to ask the Hotel Director. All I know is that his response was that the 18% went into the tip pool and no where did he say that NCL took anything off the top.

from the DSC. In round numbers, the total gratuity is about five dollars.

By comparison, if we go to the Bancroft (a steak restaurant in nearby Burlington, MA), the total tab for an appetizer, salad, small filet, dessert and coffe would easily be $80 each, if not $100. An 18% tip on an $80 bill would be $14.40. As I see it. the waiters on Getaway are due another $9.60 per person (equal to $14.40 minus $5.00). Let's round it up to $10.00. Of course, if you're ordering multiple appetizers, it should be more.

You neglect to take into consideration taxes, living expenses, food and board and the value of the US dollar in foreign countries.