Butler Woes

JOLTnPEST

We got off the escape a few weeks ago and I was wondering If anyone has ever had a problem with their butler avoiding them the last morning? The only thing we used the butler for was 1 breakfast, a tray of cookies, and their basic coffee pod and hors d'oeuvre daily delivery. I went to guest service the last night and tipped him from my onboard account and put our order in for 8am on debarkation day. They never showed up at 8 so we called at 8, 8:15, 8:30, and 8:45 with not answer.

Has anyone ever had this happen to them?

On a Dawn cruise years ago we were in a rush to get off the ship. But didn't see the butler that morning we left the room at 930. The customer service line was a mess. I called when I got home to see if I could charge a tip to him they said no.I went on a cruise two month later. I had a different butler but gave him his envelope then.

It is possible your butler was leaving the ship at end of contract, moving to a new ship, or vacation and the new butler had not arrived, but it seems they would have some regulations to cover in that situation.

I would assume he would have said that when we placed the order the night before. He just said no problem I'll be there at 8.

I would assume he would have said that when we placed the order the night before. He just said no problem I'll be there at 8.

I would have called the Concierge and voiced my displeasure; it might not helped in your situation, but might help the next passenger in that suite.

I would have called the Concierge and voiced my displeasure; it might not helped in your situation, but might help the next passenger in that suite.

We called them but no one answered. We figured they were busy with getting passengers off the ship.

We called them but no one answered. We figured they were busy with getting passengers off the ship.

Or, it could be he was sick or something. Our last day we were disappointed that the Concierge was not around to see us off but we found out she had to leave suddenly to see a doctor.

I would give him the benefit of the doubt...

Why would you voice your displeasure to an underling?

We telephoned the Concierge and Butler, and saw our room steward in the hall which saved a call for him. We had a really nice waiter in Cagney's for breakfast and lunch and didn't catch him at breakfast the last day. That was our only disappearance act. the hostess at Cagney's will take a envelope for the missing person.

My first thought would be that something untoward had occurred and with the madness that was debarkation day, there was no way to cover it...

That said, the concierge should have been aware of the situation but maybe not the specifics of who ordered what when, depending on how that kind of thing is tracked.

I could be reading the post wrong, but did you leave your breakfast order with Guest Services? If so, it may have never gotten to the Butler.

sorry we called the butler the night before to put our order in.

Does anyone know how tipping from Onboard account works? they said It would be added to their paycheck. Do you think its an immediate thing where they can see it as soon as you tipped them?

Edited by JOLTnPEST

I thought they gave you two copies, one for you and the other for who you were tipping. I would guess your butler received it or you would have definitely seen him in the morning. Last cruise we gave our butler, concierge and two stewards an envelope with a card and cash the night before and they were nowhere to be seen on the last morning, we didn't order room service. The cruises before we tipped cash the last morning and they were all in the hallway of the Haven waiting on their tips like a pack of hungry dogs and rightfully so.

We got off the escape a few weeks ago and I was wondering If anyone has ever had a problem with their butler avoiding them the last morning? The only thing we used the butler for was 1 breakfast, a tray of cookies, and their basic coffee pod and hors d'oeuvre daily delivery. I went to guest service the last night and tipped him from my onboard account and put our order in for 8am on debarkation day. They never showed up at 8 so we called at 8, 8:15, 8:30, and 8:45 with not answer.

Has anyone ever had this happen to them?

If you want to experience a real Butler service, try Silversea or Crystal. The fake service on the main stream lines are a joke. When you experience true professional Butlers trained by institutions like the British Butler Institute.

It is truly a magical and wonderfully enriching experience.

Unlike the glorified stewards you experienced on NCL. The experience was a highlight of our voyages aboard those lines. If you can do it. It is money well spent.

If you want to experience a real Butler service, try Silversea or Crystal. The fake service on the main stream lines are a joke. When you experience true professional Butlers trained by institutions like the British Butler Institute.

It is truly a magical and wonderfully enriching experience.

Unlike the glorified stewards you experienced on NCL. The experience was a highlight of our voyages aboard those lines. If you can do it. It is money well spent.

Crystal was great, Silversea was horrible. Our butler on the Breakaway was much better. The best butler we had was on Regent.

sorry we called the butler the night before to put our order in.

Does anyone know how tipping from Onboard account works? they said It would be added to their paycheck. Do you think its an immediate thing where they can see it as soon as you tipped them?

I suppose it is possible, but I just don't believe it probably happens that fast. Not on a ship, and not with guest services involved:rolleyes:. I doubt the butler was giving you the cold shoulder.

We don't have time on debarkation day to play hide and seek with butlers, stewards and concierges. They are really busy. So we bring thank you cards and envelopes and if we do not get the chance to say a personal thank you and present a tip, we just leave the envelope in the cabin, with the concierge or at guest services.