Summit or Sunshine to Bermuda

NOSaints1

Were more laid back type of people, we're not into dressing up, what is it like on X how're the rest of passengers, what type of people sail X is it more older, younger or varies ship to ship. After 3 Carnival cruises do you stick to a line you know, that you never had a problem with or is it good to try a new cruise line

I have taken many X cruises, but not the Bermuda itinerary, so my response is based only on what I have read; its a summer itinerary, usually lots of families, more 'relaxed' environment than the Europe itineraries, and many people are from the Northeast/ NY/NJ considering the proximity to the port. What I DO know first hand; Summit is a great ship, great staff, always a lot of fun for my group!

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

We did Summit to Bermuda two years ago and it was one of the best cruises we have taken. Found that the trip was more casual than other Celebrity cruises. We wont even shop another line the next time we go to Bermuda.

I have taken many X cruises, but not the Bermuda itinerary, so my response is based only on what I have read; its a summer itinerary, usually lots of families, more 'relaxed' environment than the Europe itineraries, and many people are from the Northeast/ NY/NJ considering the proximity to the port. What I DO know first hand; Summit is a great ship, great staff, always a lot of fun for my group!

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

Lots of families in the summer as stated however if you go last week of May or first week of June it is a nice cruise with few children. Children on east coast don't get out of school until later in June. I did May 31 last year and had a great cruise. We had good weather, week before us had a lot of rain. If you go when the ship first gets to Bermuda in May you can get some cooler weather. Another good week is Labor day week-end as most of the schools are back and weather is usually still very warm.

If you want to get more info on Bermuda, go to Cruise Critic ports of call Bermuda board. Good people over there with lots of info.

Edited by dkjretired

We sailed on the Summit this last August and we had a terrific time. Before we left we were a lttle concerned because the ship was a little older than the newer Solstice class. Those fears were unfounded. The Summit is well cared for. We were in Aqua class and thought that the service was best of any Celebrity ship and we have sales on almost every one.we would take that cruise again Ina heartbeat.

We've been on the Breeze, Valor and Conquest. Stayed in an OV and an Ocean Suite although it's not like Celebrities with the benefits. How is it sailing out of NJ for embarkation and debarkation? My DW said she's sick of the Caribbean just because it seems all the same, you take a tour and they take you to the poor section.

We did the Summit to Bermuda in 2014 and are going again next year. We went over the week of July 4th and are doing the same next year. There were a lot of families with kids on board but we didn't really find this to be a huge issue being in Aqua class. There is a photo review in my signature you may find helpful.

Edited by prim8keeper

OP, you may have seen my opinion of the ship formerly know as Destiny on another board. It was just too crowded and then the added 182 cabins, removed public areas, and changed the name. Summit was a much more relaxed and entertaining than our Destiny cruise. Would do Summit again in a heartbeat. Good luck with your decision. I'm in the minority of those that wasn't that impressed with Bermuda. Of course the striking ferry operators may have contributed to that opinion. Happy sailing no matter what ship you choose.

The Sunshine Bermuda cruises are at the end of September. The Summit Bermuda cruises are from May to the end of August. If your primary objective is to avoid children, then either the May/early June Summit or Sunshine itineraries would be best for that. If your primary objective is great weather and water fun, the July/August Summit itineraries would be best for that. It just depends on your objectives and what you rate as more important/less important.

The Sunshine spends less time in Bermuda. It arrives on a Monday afternoon and departs Wednesday afternoon. Summit arrives Wednesday morning and departs Friday afternoon. Two sea days up front with Summit and two sea days in the back with Sunshine.

As I said in the thread on the Carnival forum, I've done the Summit to Bermuda four times and will likely do it again in 2017. We have stayed in every class except suites on the Summit. Some "hidden" cabins are the Sweet 16, the forward 8 balcony cabins on deck 6 that have large balconies for the lowest balcony class price. And there are the fairly newly added ocean views on deck 3 with large round windows. Wherever you stay, you'll receive excellent service. Probably only one or two towel animals, not every day like on Carnival.

Here is the balcony of 6035:

DSC_6332.JPG

An inside:

DSC_1479.JPG

The balcony overhang on a deck 9 concierge class cabin:

IMG_0893.JPG

Well Carnivals program compared to the Captains Club, is one reason why I would rather to stick to one line and Carnivals is more about the Caribbean where we don't want to spend a lot of time in.

Oh, sorry, I got Faster to the Fun mixed up with VIFP.

We have about the same number of cruises on both Carnival and Celebrity, but have higher status on Celebrity because of multiple points for nights in concierge and aqua class cabins.

We will probably never get higher than Gold on Carnival and don't really care as the benefits aren't of great value to us.

We've been to the Caribbean 15 or so times, some ports 5 or so times. We can always find something new to do. Last time we were in Cozumel, we took a bar hop tour to the other side of the island. It was a totally different experience and a whole lot of fun.

I'm Platinum on Carnival. Tried X a couple years ago and haven't been back on Carnival yet. Not opposed to cruising Carnival at all but Celebrity's promos always beat their rate when looking at the beverage package. I love the Summit but only have done southern Caribbean on her.

I feel celebrity is just a bit quieter which I like. We will still take our kids on Carnival though.

Edited by BubMunkeyBles

When you sail Summit if you get a balcony is it better on port or starboard and which side is which?

Doesn't matter in Bermuda because there is no way to know which way the ship will dock. Many do starboard side because the couple of smoking areas are on the port side and the smoke can sometimes go up to balconies that are higher up.

Edited by dkjretired

When you sail Summit if you get a balcony is it better on port or starboard and which side is which?

As far as I'm concerned, there is no bad side while docked in Bermuda at the Dockyard.

Anyway, it is a crap shoot as to which side goes to the dock. Some of the determining factors would be needed maintenance, life boat drills & current weather conditions and forecasted.

That being said, I've read posts here that say that the Summit docks port side in most of the time, but there is no guarantee that this will happen on your visit.

As for which side is which, if you are facing towards the bow (pointed end of the ship), the port side is on your left hand, starboard on the right hand.

Sidev1.jpg

SBtS

It sounds like you would be a bit happier on Carnival

Were more laid back type of people, we're not into dressing up, what is it like on X how're the rest of passengers, what type of people sail X is it more older, younger or varies ship to ship. After 3 Carnival cruises do you stick to a line you know, that you never had a problem with or is it good to try a new cruise line