Arriving Galveston Port same day as cruise?

Summer Lovin

I'm looking for some information for my daughter. She is looking at a cruise out of Galveston, but would have to fly in the day of the cruise due to her wedding the day before. When we cruised as a family we always fly in the day before, but she wouldn't be able to this time, and that makes her nervous about getting to the port in time. I have no idea what airport is closest to the port. Any advice as to which airport, distance, etc.. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

George Bush International Airport is 70 (+/-) miles from the cruise terminal.

Houston Hobby Airport is 42 (+/-) miles from the cruise terminal.

You actually drive within a mile of Hobby Airport to get to Galveston from George Bush International airport.

We drove in the morning of our last cruise from San Antonio, and I was very nervous because the traffic getting through Houston was stop-and-go for many miles.

If I had to fly in the day of my cruise, I would do my level best to fly in to Hobby, and be as early in the morning arriving as I possibly could.

American Airlines does have multiple flights to/from Hobby from DFW so if you have to book a connection and you don't fly Southwest go through DFW. I think Hobby is a much easier airport to deal with than IAH but its mostly limited to Southwest and regional jet flights.

Being as Hobby is in southern Houston its much easier traffic wise than IAH which is far north Houston which means you would have to traverse the whole width of greater Houston to to get to Galveston and can be dicey traffic wise on a good day.

Best wishes to your daughter! Stay with Cruise Critic for questions you will have (there will be more) and have your daughter look up her cruise line roll call. There are a lot of good things about being a CC member. We are all here to help.

Thank you! She will be flying from Louisville,Ky and I did check Southwest, but it doesn't show August 21st yet on their calendar. Is DFW Dallas? She will definitely fly into Hobby if they decide to go on this cruise. Thanks so much!

DFW is Dallas/Ft Worth International that American is based out of. Southwest flies out of Dallas Love Field DAL. I think in your case it doesn't matter which airline you fly on as long as you end up at Houston Hobby.

We drove in the morning of our last cruise from San Antonio, and I was very nervous because the traffic getting through Houston was stop-and-go for many miles.

Next time head south at Sealy and come in through Sugerland on SR 6. It is a lot less stressful and a nice drive!

Next time head south at Sealy and come in through Sugerland on SR 6. It is a lot less stressful and a nice drive!

It wouldn't less stressful for me! I live about 1/2 mile off Hwy 6 in Fort Bend County and the traffic, with all the traffic lights, can be a mess. Anyway, at Sealy, that's 36 that goes south.

Thanks for the suggestion. We are flying in to Houston the day before our next cruise, so we should be good. I'll pass this on to family who will be driving in from San Antonio the morning of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

36 and 6 don't cross. You need to either head east on US90 or north on US59 in Rosenburg to the land of sugar to get TX6. :D