TA cancellation fee

MaryZ

I just looked at that site.

I get a good amount of obc from the TA i use (usually 8-10%) and they have no cancellation fee. Their prices are what RC shows on their website. Is that website really lower priced than what RC shows? I thought RC had a strict policy about no lower prices, just perks?

That is a fair thing to do and would make me more likely to use them in spite of the policy. Did it have any restrictions or could it be used with any other promotion or an existing reservation?

There are restrictions, but in my opinion, they're very liberal. We have one year to apply it to a future cruise.

There was no mention of the Goodwill voucher when we had to cancel, nor was there a request of any kind on my part, so this came as a complete surprise.

·Goodwill voucher is applicable to a future ***** reservation.

·Goodwill voucher must be redeemed through ***** for shipboard credit only and applied to eligible reservation

by date noted above *(Sailing does not have to be taken by expiration date; however, Goodwill voucher simply needs to be redeemed and applied to an eligible sailing by that date).

·Goodwill voucher must be redeemed prior to the final payment being processed (certain cruise line restrictions may apply).

·Guest is solely responsible for requesting that this Goodwill voucher be redeemed by expiration date. Goodwill vouchers are not automatically applied to any reservation.

·Limit of one Goodwill voucher may be applied per new reservation booked.

·Goodwill voucher is combinable with any promotion that ***** offers.

·Goodwill voucher is non-transferable to any other reservation once applied, was not purchased in exchange for payment and has no cash value.

·Goodwill voucher only valid as long as cancellation fee from reservation ***** is successfully processed and payment remains in good standing; otherwise, Goodwill voucher will be forfeited.

·***** is not responsible for stolen or lost Goodwill vouchers.

·Goodwill voucher may be subject to other terms and conditions where required by law.

I get a good amount of obc from the TA i use (usually 8-10%) and they have no cancellation fee. Their prices are what RC shows on their website. Is that website really lower priced than what RC shows? I thought RC had a strict policy about no lower prices, just perks?

Some travel agencies reserve blocks of rooms when prices are lower and can offer them at those lower prices after Royal has raised prices.

Definitely. I just booked yesterday and my cost was $400pp less than what was offered on RCs website. They have "group" bookings where they have reserved a lot of rooms.

o

Some travel agencies reserve blocks of rooms when prices are lower and can offer them at those lower prices after Royal has raised prices.

good to know, thanks.

So annoying you have to call and get a price though. I am so used to getting info online. But I guess if I save money my time is not worth THAT much. [emoji23][emoji23]

As an addendum to my post (#30), I wanted to book 3 balcony cabins on Oasis for the upcoming Easter week. There would have been 9 pax (3 small children). Called CC and asked if the cancellation fees, which would have totaled $450, could be waived as the youngest would be 2.5 years at cruise time and had some concerns. Was told that we would discuss when and if it occurred. Was not comfortable with the answer and booked directly with RCL.

FWIW there are other TA options out there. :) Like membership clubs that have online TAs and no cancel fees.

The discounts TAs can get on Royal are obtained by booking a group. IMO that group booking is the reason for the fees, because group bookings have more rules than a normal booking. You're trading that lower price for the possibility of paying something to cancel.

I prefer to not trade that.

Though when paying off our March cruise I learned that my booking had been moved/changed to a group. Annoyed me a little, but it changed nothing for the worse on my end AND I got another perk ($50 towards specialty dining) so that's OK.

My point is that it's not "TA that charges a cancel fee or just go through Royal". There are in between options.

What happens if they want to cancel their bookings? Are they locked in? Just curious how sometimes so much opens up suddenly that wasn't there before.

If you are asking about the staterooms held by travel agents, Royal can take them back. I don't know the conditions under which Royal takes some or all of them back, but I would assume that as it gets closer to the sail date, it's harder for the travel agent to hold unsold staterooms.

I think your last post might be more accurate than the first couple. I know a lot of people who book cruises on a whim, until something better comes along. We have a friend that booked nine cruises this year and took only two of them. Why not? they get their down payment back and no penalty. If you are a high volume broker, chances are you are going to have quite a few cancellations. If you are low volume, a few cancellations might not bother you. I'm sure they are high volume as they have 108 employees, the last I heard, when they moved into their new 37,000 sq ft building.

Yes, my last suggestion (that they don't want people who book and cancel a lot of cruises) was an afterthought but makes some amount of sense.

But your comments would justify them NOT changing a cancellation fee. If you're a low volume agent, then cancellations affect you more than it does this firm. And you are more likely to have spent significant time with the customer than this company. I know that I can ask my TA questions about cruises (I typically ask here but she is knowledgeable), and I sent a co-worker to her when he didn't know what cruise he wanted (he had never cruised before). Does this large company offer that sort of service, or are they really more the "here's what I want, book it for me" model? I think it's the latter, but I could be wrong.

Wow, due to my house being raised in spring with a starting date of April 15, 2016 I had to cancel my anthem of the seas cruise.

This particular cruise agency with the last letters of "con" truly is a con.

$100 for them to cancel it. It's $50 a person. Ridiculous.

It took them 5 minutes to book it because all they did was follow what I said. It takes them less than 5 minutes to cancel it.

I have booked quite a few cruises with them before. I will never book with them again.

It's why I always read the Ts&Cs

Done business with this 'con' TA for years with positive results. It is all about the risk and reward equation. I am willing to get perks that other TA's can't seem to match with the possibility to pay cancellation fees if things change.

It is just like Priceline bidding, Hotwire bookings, and non refundable rates on hotel websites. There is no refund if you change your mind, but a deep discount is worth the risk to many people.

Edited by coaster