Can we do CHANKANAAB on our own?

curlybelle2

Super easy to do on your own. We have done it twice (reviews with pics in my signature line if you are interested) and have done ALL our Cozumel trips on our own.

I think Chankanaab has one of the best systems for taxis there. They have an area outside where the taxi's wait and when you are ready to leave, they get on the walkie talkie and call one over from the parking lot for you. Super fast and easy. :)

We also have done this on our own. No problem!

Take a taxi directly there and have a great day.

As posted there are $2.00 coupons for admission so take advantage of that.

When you want to return, there are taxis there just waiting.

It is a good place for sure so enjoy!

We did it on our own, some of our party had dolphin swims, while others did not. It was easy to arrange online. The taxis are right outside, I think it was about a 10 min drive from the port, and a line waiting outside Chankanaab all day for our ride back as well. Definitely look up the web site for a few dollars off.

We did not enjoy the food or the tropical drinks there, not that good (guacamole was OK).

On another note, I have been to Cozumel several times and I always get the feeling it is a very safe place. The locals live mostly off of the tourists, so I guess it is in their best interest to give a nice impression. :)

For example, on our way to Chankanaab my SIL's teenager forgot his bag with his expensive camera and all his snorkel gear and money in the cab. A quick visit to the main desk and a call and he had all his stuff back within 30 minutes since the cab driver had turned it in.

We LOVED the snorkeling here! So many fish, and such nice, clear water. Even though it was very deep at some times it was not scary at all. Very enjoyable day and a favorite for sure!

Here are a few pics that really sums up the day we had:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/137293854@N07/shares/R3Nu78

https://www.flickr.com/photos/137293854@N07/shares/J1j225

J1j225

Thanks everyone for the information. Can we see the dolphins and manatees without paying to swim with them?

If I remember correctly that area is tucked away in a corner of the park, and they would only allow the participants out on the docks around it. You might see some of the dolphins from the beach area, but not the manatees, since they are in the very top corner and do not swim out in the open middle area. If you do a swim they will not allow you to take your own photos, and they will try to sell you their very expensive photo package... but we really enjoyed it and knew this ahead of time and did not let it bother us. [emoji4]

Thanks everyone for the information. Can we see the dolphins and manatees without paying to swim with them?

Well, the "pens" are really far out and the people that are not doing any of the swims are back on the "land"/sidewalk area, which makes it really hard to see. You may be able to see a fin or something or when the dolphins are jumping up out of the water, but nothing too great because of the way the place is designed.

Here's a picture of an overview of the swim area. You can see it's a really big area, so it would be hard to see.

Chankanaab-M.jpg

When we did the manatee swim, it was located (looking at the picture above) on the left up in the middle big section on the side. Although it's closer, the pens are down low compared to the walk way.

In order to demonstrate what I mean, you have to walk down the walkway to the pens and then go down the steps into the water. When you are in the water, you can not see over the walkways (shown below, you can see how far down I am in the water with the dolphins).

kim%20hand%20shake-S.jpg

Do they rent snorkel equipment there? If so, do you know how much it cost?

Yes, they have snorkel equipment there for rent. I'm not sure exactly how much (hopefully someone else that has rented can advise) because we have our own, but can tell you that (if things are still the same), don't rent the life jackets from the snorkeling rental place. If you go to the hut right next to it, they are free if you give them your ID while using them. Once you return them, you get your ID back and it's free. :)

Well, the "pens" are really far out and the people that are not doing any of the swims are back on the "land"/sidewalk area, which makes it really hard to see. You may be able to see a fin or something or when the dolphins are jumping up out of the water, but nothing too great because of the way the place is designed.

Here's a picture of an overview of the swim area. You can see it's a really big area, so it would be hard to see.

Chankanaab-M.jpg

When we did the manatee swim, it was located (looking at the picture above) on the left up in the middle big section on the side. Although it's closer, the pens are down low compared to the walk way.

In order to demonstrate what I mean, you have to walk down the walkway to the pens and then go down the steps into the water. When you are in the water, you can not see over the walkways (shown below, you can see how far down I am in the water with the dolphins).

kim%20hand%20shake-S.jpg

Thank you for posting this. Where is the main entrance as compared to the snorkeling spot? When we first enter, is there a better way to get to the snorkeling by turning left or right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you for posting this. Where is the main entrance as compared to the snorkeling spot? When we first enter, is there a better way to get to the snorkeling by turning left or right?

The snorkeling area is not far. You just walk straight ahead. You will see the ocean. That is where you snorkel. There are steps down along the length of the beach to the water.

You turn to the left after coming in.

Here's a map I made awhile back showing where the snorkeling area is compared to the dolphin swims, which is close to the entrance.

chankanaab%20park%20map-M.jpg

Here's an overall map of the area:

chankanaab%20map-L.jpg

You turn to the left after coming in.

Here's a map I made awhile back showing where the snorkeling area is compared to the dolphin swims, which is close to the entrance.

chankanaab%20park%20map-M.jpg

Here's an overall map of the area:

chankanaab%20map-L.jpg

Perfect! Thanks so much!! :)

Quite easy to do on your own. Cost would depend on which pier you are at. About $12 for 4 one-way.

Would it be less for 2 people or is it that price per trip for any number of people? How much do you tip the driver? I have never ridden in a taxi before. Where do you catch the taxi when you get off the ship? I am interested in doing this on my own as well. Thank you.

Would it be less for 2 people or is it that price per trip for any number of people? How much do you tip the driver? I have never ridden in a taxi before. Where do you catch the taxi when you get off the ship? I am interested in doing this on my own as well. Thank you.

I don't know which dock you will be at but the rate from the International Pier was $11 for 1 to 4 a few weeks ago. That is for the taxi. Not per person. $11 total for the two of us. The taxi stand is right outside the pier. They do make you walk thru a maze of shops to get to the taxi stand. Tipping in Mexico is generally 10 percent. For 2 people I would tip $2.

Edited by Charles4515

Thanks for the maps and info! It is just my husband and I going and I really want to do the dolphin swim, but we can't afford the photo package on top of that. Will they allow you to take a camera with you. Could I book one time and he the next time slot and both of us go back so one can take pictures while the other swims? If we book at the same time could we pass the camera back and forth?

Thanks for the maps and info! It is just my husband and I going and I really want to do the dolphin swim, but we can't afford the photo package on top of that. Will they allow you to take a camera with you. Could I book one time and he the next time slot and both of us go back so one can take pictures while the other swims? If we book at the same time could we pass the camera back and forth?

No, they no longer allow you to bring your own camera and take pictures now for several years. They use to and I imagine they were losing a lot of $$ in sales and discontinued allowing this. :(

My husband is going to be scuba diving. I was thinking of taking the Royal Swim & Manatee excursion. I really love Manatees. I have a few questions.

1. If I do the excursion thru the ship will I have time to do an additional manatee swim?

2. Has anyone gone to the park as a solo female tourist? Is it a good idea? I'm no supermodel but still. ;)

Super easy to do on your own. We have done it twice (reviews with pics in my signature line if you are interested) and have done ALL our Cozumel trips on our own.

I think Chankanaab has one of the best systems for taxis there. They have an area outside where the taxi's wait and when you are ready to leave, they get on the walkie talkie and call one over from the parking lot for you. Super fast and easy. :)

I have spent the last few days reading your reviews. We are cruising on NCL for the first time (Star). So, I've been taking notes on your Roatan, Belize, Cozumel and Costa Maya info. I saw that you have a little girl, who is beautiful! We have 2 girls ages 4 and 5 so I have been trying to figure out what things wold be best for us. Anyway, my main question is when you took a taxi places were you required to have her in a carseat? we obviously are not going to be bringing 2 carseats and I'm wondering how that will work. Thanks for all your great info and pictures, it has made me a little more prepared as to what to expect!

My husband is going to be scuba diving. I was thinking of taking the Royal Swim & Manatee excursion. I really love Manatees. I have a few questions.

1. If I do the excursion thru the ship will I have time to do an additional manatee swim?

2. Has anyone gone to the park as a solo female tourist? Is it a good idea? I'm no supermodel but still. ;)

I can't answer as a single female but in my opinion that would not be a problem at that park from that aspect.

I would never do Chankanaab solo for snorkeling. You need to have a buddy there who is preferably snorkeling with you or watching you from the beach.

If you did the excursion thru the ship you would be with a group and tour leaders. So that I would not consider that as being solo. I would not count on being able do an extra swim on a ship excursion.

Edited by Charles4515