In Glacier Bay, do I care which side of the ship my stateroom is?

jbuckent

Nope. The ship will have to turn around and exit the bay/national park so what you don't see on the way in, you will see on the way out.

Also, the Star Princess Captain spun the ship 360° at the main glacial attractions, for around 30 minutes or so, everyone got a great view of everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Generally IMHO you want to be on the port side for the sail in with commentary from the Park Rangers. The Captain will spin the ship while at the Glacier but to me it always seems the port side has a longer viewing time.

Commentary is only on the way into Glacier Bay, so if you want it match up with the glaciers you are seeing, then you need port side-- IF you are only viewing from your cabin.

You will pass by 4 glaciers, which a lot of people miss.

The above post with the "doesn't matter" claim, sounds like they are basing this on one cruise? I have been on cruises, where the cpts, HAVE shortchanged the starboard side. One sailing where they got NO view at Margerie/Grand Pacific. Ship, stalled port side, then turned starboard and LEFT. And yep- it was on Princess. :)

So, if you want to see something, best to be flexible and perhaps, consider moving with the ship, for views. :)

So, if you want to see something, best to be flexible and perhaps, consider moving with the ship, for views. :)

This is the best advice and why I would say "it doesn't matter." You really need to be out of your stateroom and off your balcony during much of Glacier Bay. You get a very limited view of Glacier Bay from your balcony, whether it be wildlife, glaciers or scenery. More than once the ranger announced there was a whale or other good sighting on one side or the other. What if you were on your balcony on the other side? Too bad. Even when I had a balcony cruising Glacier Bay I was at the front of the ship almost the entire day. Easy to look forward, left and right - something you can't do from a balcony on either side.

We find that the best views are outside the ship on the top deck and also from public rooms with panoramic views. From your room the ship will turn so you will have views but I highly recommend getting out and about so you can quickly go from side to side.

Keith

This is the best advice and why I would say "it doesn't matter." You really need to be out of your stateroom and off your balcony during much of Glacier Bay. You get a very limited view of Glacier Bay from your balcony, whether it be wildlife, glaciers or scenery. More than once the ranger announced there was a whale or other good sighting on one side or the other. What if you were on your balcony on the other side? Too bad. Even when I had a balcony cruising Glacier Bay I was at the front of the ship almost the entire day. Easy to look forward, left and right - something you can't do from a balcony on either side.

What if your balcony faces aft so that you see the wake of the ship? is that still a poor spot for seeing "everything"?

We are out on deck going into Glacier Bay and while we are at the Marjorie Glacier. We always get an aft facing balcony, so on the way out of Glacier Bay we go down to our room, have a snack on the balcony (with our jackets on :-) and watch the scenery fade into the distance. I love the aft balconies...

We are out on deck going into Glacier Bay and while we are at the Marjorie Glacier. We always get an aft facing balcony, so on the way out of Glacier Bay we go down to our room, have a snack on the balcony (with our jackets on :-) and watch the scenery fade into the distance. I love the aft balconies...

I too love the aft balconies--thank you for this info!!

What if your balcony faces aft so that you see the wake of the ship? is that still a poor spot for seeing "everything"?

Since you are asking- aft is a poor location for wildlife spotting. Intense wildlife seekers (like myself) always- track from ahead, then get the most view. but, just catching it as you pass, has missed the most and best views.

• 3 weeks later...