Live "Oasis Jan 2nd 2016"

whitshel

Hi, we happen to be on the same trip and yes it was a great day in Labadee.

One question for you.... Are you in MTD? The lines in MTD were longer than we have ever seen and they were asking people to consider switching back to second seating.

Also new for us is that they have moved MTD to Deck 3 to get more space.

In any case, great review.

Yes we are but we only have 3 days planned in the MD. We have such a large group that the only times we could get is 530 or 830. We went at 530 and there were quite a few people down there. But when we left it was a mad house in the MTD lobby. I wanted to take a pic but I didn't want people to think I was complaining. So ya, it seems really crazy busy.

This is out 1st MTD so wasn't sure where it was before. I think deck 4

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Bob- thanks for the link, but I'm also hoping someone will post the package flyer from the cruises onboard, as there seems to be some news that prices are higher onboard, but I haven't been able to determine whether it was holiday pricing or a new structure when you buy on board.

From what I have been hearing around the ship (I am also on Oasis this week), the bar and wine prices are crazy high. I don't know if they are still at holiday pricing, but our friends got 20% off the wine price after mentioning it. Today they are offering a happy hour discount of 25% off all cocktails at any bar for one hour, after we leave Falmouth. Should be busy. :eek:

My internet speed has been faster than at home, FWIW. :)

Again, not a cloud in sight

e687ec9a34ea9793d1308b83648babd9.jpg

Another day in paradise. If they could just bring you some chops bacon on your balcony to add to this view it would be like Fantasy Island. The para-sailing shots were great as well.

Enjoy your day.

From what I have been hearing around the ship (I am also on Oasis this week), the bar and wine prices are crazy high. I don't know if they are still at holiday pricing, but our friends got 20% off the wine price after mentioning it. Today they are offering a happy hour discount of 25% off all cocktails at any bar for one hour, after we leave Falmouth. Should be busy. :eek:

Karen, could you report back if the drink prices happen to drop over the next couple of weeks, or if they remain at the higher level? Usually the wifi is zoom, not a dud. Maybe they will discount or fully credit the wifi if it continues to be that bad.

Enjoy your day.

Andrew

Edited by A&L_Ont

Why are the drink prices so high? I'd call it "PRICE GOUGING". How about the price of fuel dropping and cruise prices rising? What's up with that? I'll be on the Oasis this month, maybe the drink prices will be a little more reasonable.

Why are the drink prices so high? I'd call it "PRICE GOUGING". How about the price of fuel dropping and cruise prices rising? What's up with that? I'll be on the Oasis this month, maybe the drink prices will be a little more reasonable.

The prices are high because people keep paying. As long as people keep paying, the prices will keep going up. No relationship to fuel costs.

Sure seems strange that drink prices vary from ship to ship. On Quantum the drinks were $14 and change with tip included, martinis were higher...close to $16. Yet on Liberty just 4 months later the drinks were $10-12....more reasonable and not robbery. I have been reading a whole lot of inconsistency on the prices as well. Have a great day at Falmouth! Interested in pictures of Red Stripe beach.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Karen, could you report back if the drink prices happen to drop over the next couple of weeks, or if they remain at the higher level? Usually the wifi is zoom, not a dud. Maybe they will discount or fully credit the wifi if it continues to be that bad.

Enjoy your day.

Andrew

Andrew, you may have misunderstood my post, or maybe you are referring to someone else's. I am happy with the Internet speed, it seems pretty fast. Pages load quickly, etc. I'm not skyping, but I've heard no complaints from people who do. :confused:

I'll try to keep track of the drink prices. We are not big drinkers, so I have not specifically compared prices, just reporting what I've heard from others. :)

Ok, back to specialty dinning, I posted the package pricing and believe me they are all over you when you 1st get in the ship. So don't worry about prebooking. Plus we have a large group and could have gotten into any of them. So for the regular prices I went down its Morning and took some pics of the menus and prices. So chops- $39, 150CP-$40, Giovanni's table-$25 Izumi Hibachi-$30. So yes they are back to normal.

We missed you at the Meet & Mingle!

We dined at 150 CP on our BOGO coupon on night one and were charged $45 for one cover, even though the menu said $40. We were too tired at that point to argue about it - we had done enough grousing about the sky high wine prices. As an example, a glass of Oberon Cabernet on Serenade was $10 in October/November. On this cruise it's $17.:eek: We sat at the Trellis Bar for awhile last night and the bartender said that we were among the few people who hadn't purchased a drink package. One crew member said that Allure had dropped her holiday pricing this week, but Oasis decided to stick with it. We briefly thought of getting a package, but there aren't many wines that we enjoy for less than the $13/glass cap, so we'd be shelling out extra. My liver is thanking RCI for raising prices to the point that we are only ordering one paid glass a day.

We have noticed both old and new drink and specialty restaurant menus around the ship - every time we tried to order at a lower price the new menu magically appeared. But Giovanni's Table was $25 and it was a superb experience - our table of 14 had stellar service, the food was great and it was a wonderful birthday celebration for DH.

That was only for bottles (the 20% off) and probably only because we were hosting a party and ordering several. I'm greatly enjoying the Internet, too. :)

Today is the last day to purchase a drink package. There was a message on our stateroom TV that they are offering a drink card of 10 drinks for $79. I don't know what's included, though.

Edited by critterchick

Andrew, you may have misunderstood my post, or maybe you are referring to someone else's. I am happy with the Internet speed, it seems pretty fast. Pages load quickly, etc. I'm not skyping, but I've heard no complaints from people who do. :confused:

I'll try to keep track of the drink prices. We are not big drinkers, so I have not specifically compared prices, just reporting what I've heard from others. :)

Sorry, I 100% misunderstood your post. I'm happy to hear that the wifi is at Zoom speeds.

No worries about the drink prices. Our family falls into the same consumption (or lack of) group as yours by the sounds of it. I am more curious to see if it will return or stay at the higher values.

Have an amazing day.:)

This is yet another cruiser complaining about the lines at MTD. When is RCL going to figure out that it doesn't work? From the days of the old trans Atlantic cruise liners, meals were at specific times for first class and second class. Everything about the dinner process and ship design is based on traditional dining. Guests know which table to sit at. Waiters get into a rhythm. They know your likes and needs. The food is prepared to come out at specific times. Ship schedules and shows are planned around traditional dining. Funny that MTD has shorter lines around 6pm and around 8pm-- the normal dining times. We will be on Oasis in two weeks and other than a specialty restaurant or two we will enjoy early seating traditional.

Yeah, while those speeds are probably less than home, they are likely light years ahead of what non-Voom ships can do. The only odd thing is in regards to the upload speed being 4x faster than download speed. Typically it is reverse that. The RCI website example of Voom shows a speedtest screen shot of 4.6 Mb down and 5.25 Mb up, so your download seems a little slow but your upload is as fast it it can get, because I assume RCI used the best possible speed for their example. :)

With those speeds, browsing the web and doing things similar to that will be super fast. A download speed of 1.3 Mb is comparable to DSL, and 5.3 Mb upload speed is comparable to upper to mid-range Comcast Xfinity cable modem speeds. I think at that download speed, the only time you would see buffering is if you are streaming video (skype, netflix, youtube, etc).

Like you said, your aft cabin may play a role depending on the number of devices using the hotspot near your cabin and the overall number of people on the ship using voom at that time. Since it is satellite, I assume weather may play a role, and even things like solar flares.

It would be interesting to take a sampling of different speeds in different areas of the ship. I'll be on allure next month - maybe I'll take that on as a homework assignment... :D

We missed you at the Meet & Mingle!

We dined at 150 CP on our BOGO coupon on night one and were charged $45 for one cover, even though the menu said $40. We were too tired at that point to argue about it - we had done enough grousing about the sky high wine prices. As an example, a glass of Oberon Cabernet on Serenade was $10 in October/November. On this cruise it's $17.:eek: We sat at the Trellis Bar for awhile last night and the bartender said that we were among the few people who hadn't purchased a drink package. One crew member said that Allure had dropped her holiday pricing this week, but Oasis decided to stick with it. We briefly thought of getting a package, but there aren't many wines that we enjoy for less than the $13/glass cap, so we'd be shelling out extra. My liver is thanking RCI for raising prices to the point that we are only ordering one paid glass a day.

We have noticed both old and new drink and specialty restaurant menus around the ship - every time we tried to order at a lower price the new menu magically appeared. But Giovanni's Table was $25 and it was a superb experience - our table of 14 had stellar service, the food was great and it was a wonderful birthday celebration for DH.

That was only for bottles (the 20% off) and probably only because we were hosting a party and ordering several. I'm greatly enjoying the Internet, too. :)

Today is the last day to purchase a drink package. There was a message on our stateroom TV that they are offering a drink card of 10 drinks for $79. I don't know what's included, though.

Just back from redstripe beach, showerd, went to park cafe and got two big ice teas and 2 RB on wecks. As I was walking back I noticed this sign in the the trellis bar.

6509d42dd95a5fa737996226d0099862.jpg

So I'll probably be getting one of those. I asked the bartender if I could get a bloody Mary and he said yep, anything up to $13 or $14. Those were his words. We'll see. I can't comment on the drink prices, I don't remember what the were back in April on the navigator.

This is yet another cruiser complaining about the lines at MTD. When is RCL going to figure out that it doesn't work? From the days of the old trans Atlantic cruise liners, meals were at specific times for first class and second class. Everything about the dinner process and ship design is based on traditional dining. Guests know which table to sit at. Waiters get into a rhythm. They know your likes and needs. The food is prepared to come out at specific times. Ship schedules and shows are planned around traditional dining. Funny that MTD has shorter lines around 6pm and around 8pm-- the normal dining times. We will be on Oasis in two weeks and other than a specialty restaurant or two we will enjoy early seating traditional.

We always have MTD and don't really run into major issues. The reason why there are less people at 6 and 8 pm because those are traditional times. The majority of MTD diners prefer to eat in between those times.

Sure seems strange that drink prices vary from ship to ship. On Quantum the drinks were $14 and change with tip included, martinis were higher...close to $16. Yet on Liberty just 4 months later the drinks were $10-12....more reasonable and not robbery. I have been reading a whole lot of inconsistency on the prices as well. Have a great day at Falmouth! Interested in pictures of Red Stripe beach.

At $16.00 a pop I'd be happy to go the week without a martini. I simply would not enjoy it at that price.

Just back from redstripe beach, showerd, went to park cafe and got two big ice teas and 2 RB on wecks. As I was walking back I noticed this sign in the the trellis bar.

6509d42dd95a5fa737996226d0099862.jpg

So I'll probably be getting one of those. I asked the bartender if I could get a bloody Mary and he said yep, anything up to $13 or $14. Those were his words. We'll see. I can't comment on the drink prices, I don't remember what the were back in April on the navigator.

Now this sound quite interesting. If you could find ou the price of a typical martini I'd be very interested in the information.

Thanks

And there they are!

1607f7fb199812f2defeb843a6a8be8a.jpg

He does these for me for 2 coupons each. Since I have 6, why not? Although one of these us for dw.

Again just a wonderful weather day, the last 2 times we were here it was pretty windy, today nada!

dc7844651df00d13ba38e67e182d7861.jpg

33752f09fdb44babbe67747567d38fbc.jpg

38c4c4cb76bd06324e2b8d1d73293e78.jpg

Waiting for our bus.

dde449cb58c80ff1030b0c96e3744f59.jpg