Wine into Singapore

MrsMoo

Am flying into Singapore next week to board Sapphire Princess. Last year when I cruised out of Singapore I thought I would purchase my 2 bottles of wine(for hubby and I) that I allowed to take on ship in Singapore but had trouble finding a wine shop that was not overly expensive. I like sweeter white wines and had trouble finding any wine shops in Singapore. My question is am I able to take 2 bottles of wine in my checked in luggage from Australia to Singapore, not purchased through duty free. Never buy Duty Free alcohol as Dan Murphy's is pretty cheap nowadays & is not worth the hassle. Have some small Baileys sampler bottles(50ml) will take as was given for Christmas & could be drank before boarding ship

Am flying into Singapore next week to board Sapphire Princess. Last year when I cruised out of Singapore I thought I would purchase my 2 bottles of wine(for hubby and I) that I allowed to take on ship in Singapore but had trouble finding a wine shop that was not overly expensive. I like sweeter white wines and had trouble finding any wine shops in Singapore. My question is am I able to take 2 bottles of wine in my checked in luggage from Australia to Singapore, not purchased through duty free. Never buy Duty Free alcohol as Dan Murphy's is pretty cheap nowadays & is not worth the hassle. Have some small Baileys sampler bottles(50ml) will take as was given for Christmas & could be drank before boarding ship

For cheap wines you can try 7-Eleven or at NTUC outlets. Usually when I return to Singapore I get a bottle of Wine, a bottle of liquor and 3 cans of beer or 2 bottles of Wine and 3 cans of beer from the Duty free shop at the airport.

To answer your question, yes you can.

For cheap wines you can try 7-Eleven or at NTUC outlets. Usually when I return to Singapore I get a bottle of Wine, a bottle of liquor and 3 cans of beer or 2 bottles of Wine and 3 cans of beer from the Duty free shop at the airport.

To answer your question, yes you can.

Buying liquor or beer in Singapore unless you are DEPARTING FROM THE AIRPORT is expensive because the Government taxes the hell out of it.

Even the duty free wine to take out of the airport on arrival is expensive.

If you can take it with you from home in your checked in luggage will save you some dollars.

On our last visit to Singapore we paid $37 AUD for a jug of beer and that was at Happy Hour prices - Phew.

Buying liquor or beer in Singapore unless you are DEPARTING FROM THE AIRPORT is expensive because the Government taxes the hell out of it.

Even the duty free wine to take out of the airport on arrival is expensive.

If you can take it with you from home in your checked in luggage will save you some dollars.

On our last visit to Singapore we paid $37 AUD for a jug of beer and that was at Happy Hour prices - Phew.

WOW rest assure I never and will never pay those prices for a jug of beer. :)

Anyway, yes the taxes for alcohol and cigarette in Singapore are very high but at the same time, you can get reasonable price for beer or wine (non Hotel or Tourist belt areas).

Recently I saw some Wines going for sgd$20 plus at our local Supermarket. You can get 500ml beer for around sgd$3 :)

Arriving or Departing from the Airport the prices of Wine, Beer, Liquor, Cigarette etc are ALL the same. I never noticed there was a different. :)

You can bring 2 bottles of wine per person duty-free. See http://www.customs.gov.sg/individuals/going-through-customs/arrival/guide-for-travellers

As long as your flight does not come from Malaysia, you can bring in duty free wines, etc. Make sure you read the rules on how much your allowance is before you fly in. Singapore has very strict rules.

We too are cruising out of Singapore next year and oh, the math I was going through trying to figure out what we could bring if I want wine and my husband wants a bottle of bourbon :eek: There's mix and match but not complete mix and match for allowances....

Screenshot from the website of Singapore Customs - http://www.customs.gov.sg/individuals/going-through-customs/arrival/duty-free-concession-and-gst-relief

Info correct as of 1st Jan 2016.

34soztx.png

They give you several options for the duty-free allowances. Option B - you can bring in max 2L of wine and 1L of beer.

And, if you bring in extra, just declare at the Customs office and pay the duty on the additional. I have done that before. That said, I doubt pax going on cruise will bring extra since you can't bring more than 2 bottles on board the ship, or can you?

Haha. Next time, when I retire, I should start a wine service. I'll buy the wines from the cheaper places in Singapore and pass them to the travellers when they get into Singapore. The idea is not to make money but be helplful and make new friends. Remind me 20 years down the road! :):)

That said, I doubt pax going on cruise will bring extra since you can't bring more than 2 bottles on board the ship, or can you?

We're cruising with Azamara, so yes, we can bring what we want. Of course, wine & drinks are also included in the cruise fare, so it's not like we need to stock the cabin for all our drinking needs for the cruise - we just like to have a good bourbon and some wine on hand for balcony relaxing!

What I find amusing is that I can bring 2L wine, but since my husband wants to bring bourbon, he can only bring 1L wine. But we can each bring 1L beer too....(that's the "mix and match" I was referring to - you can't swap out the beer for wine)

What I find amusing is that I can bring 2L wine, but since my husband wants to bring bourbon, he can only bring 1L wine. But we can each bring 1L beer too....(that's the "mix and match" I was referring to - you can't swap out the beer for wine)

Yeah. Maybe it has something to do with beer sales? They want to encourage more people to buy beer from Duty-Free, maybe. Not sure. For a fact, I don't think many people will cart beer all the way around the world. But wines and spirits - more expensive stuff. Just my guess.

Edited by Iluvcruising2

One of the (I think RCI) trip reviews noted that all alcohol was confiscated at the dock in Singapore and there was no 2-bottle allowance for passengers. I am not sure why this would be and will see if I can find the link.

Any locals aware of why this would be or anyone had that experience?

Here is the link to the review (Page 6) Post 117.

Edited by Aussieflyer

Interesting - has anyone at RCI explained the discrepancy? It doesn't seem to be violating Singapore customs as you've either bought the alcohol in the country and paid the taxes, or you've brought it into the country following the customs regulations and/or paid duty on it. So as long as you then follow the cruiseline regulations....

Hmm. Have to ask in the Azamara forum and see if anyone there has seen the sign at the dock and if it is enforced....

One of the (I think RCI) trip reviews noted that all alcohol was confiscated at the dock in Singapore and there was no 2-bottle allowance for passengers. I am not sure why this would be and will see if I can find the link.

Any locals aware of why this would be or anyone had that experience?

Here is the link to the review (Page 6) Post 117.

Interesting - has anyone at RCI explained the discrepancy? It doesn't seem to be violating Singapore customs as you've either bought the alcohol in the country and paid the taxes, or you've brought it into the country following the customs regulations and/or paid duty on it. So as long as you then follow the cruiseline regulations....

Hmm. Have to ask in the Azamara forum and see if anyone there has seen the sign at the dock and if it is enforced....

I was on that cruise and it was not enforced. Suggest you print out the information from RC that allows you to bring 2 bottles of wine if that helps.

In Singapore we are only concern with the amount of Wines, Alcohol etc that you can bring in. If your cruise allow you unlimited number of alcohol, do feel free to bring as much alcohol as you like out of Singapore. :)

In Singapore we are only concern with the amount of Wines, Alcohol etc that you can bring in. If your cruise allow you unlimited number of alcohol, do feel free to bring as much alcohol as you like out of Singapore. :)

Thank you so much for confirming it's not enforced! I'll obey the regulations about bringing things IN to SIN and not worry about getting on my cruise with what the cruiseline approves :D