Grandeur anxiety

dasphr

Hello all. We are new to RC, but have 4 7-day cruises under our belt through NCL (Gem, Spirit and Star). We just booked a 5 day to Bermuda on Grandeur and I'm very curious about the differences. I've read that this is a very small (and older) ship. We love fun shows, great food, planned activities, exploring and watching the waves go by. I've read that most feel the food is good to really good. (Are there any "culinary stars" that we shouldn't miss?) The shows seems to be pretty cookie cutter (So not expecting any Broadway shows here!). I haven't seen a lot about the planned activities...what are they like? We're not dancers, but we like to listen to music, comedy shows and audience participation, game show type things. Are the options plentiful, especially during sea days? Any detailed info would be appreciated! We are having a rare childless vacation and it is during the more expensive summer months, so I want to make sure we're making the best decision! TIA

You will find that both cruise lines are more similar than different. True...Grandeur is not a behemoth like some of the newer ships, but it's still pretty damn big! No comedy club on this ship, but there will probably be a guest comedian at least 1 night...then you'll have your standard cruise ship production shows. Also, "Love and Marriage" and "Quest" shows are big hits with most...audience participation, if you want to! There's also Bingo, trivia, and other odds and ends to occupy you.

There will be a band in the nightclub...and perhaps a solo or duo act elsewhere....

If you liked NCL's food, you'll enjoy RCI's too....

Stop overthinking this...you'll have a great time....it is, after all, just a vacation!!!

Got off my 10th time on Grandeur less than 2 weeks ago.

In addition to the other things mentioned there is an aerial show in the centrum, 70s dance party also in the centrum, piano player in the Schooner bar, several late night adult comedy shows and if you like audience participation don't miss the Quest.

Find the roll call for your cruise and get to know your cruisemates. We had a really active group and planned several activities for the sea days.

Grandeur is our favorite ship with the best crew.

We have been on Grandeur many times, the crew is great for the most part, food is "cruise food", not 5 star by any means but you won't be hungry and lots of activities around the pool. Quest is fun, if you're not easily offended.... there are good musical groups at pool and in Centrum, Piano guy in Schooner Lounge is fun, also. Bermuda is Beautiful!!! You will have to try hard not to have a relaxing cruise although it will be Summer so expect an influx of "littles" onboard too! Just hope their parents take some responsibilities to control them :-( They didn't on our recent Christmas cruise (over 500 small kids) but that is usually a 1 time thing. Just relax, you will be on vacation going to a beautiful island on a great ship!

Have been on GOS both before and after the refurb - love the ship! There is an open promenade deck that is wonderful for sitting and watching the waves go by! As far as food goes the MDR is good, but Giovanni's and Izumi are excellent! Chops is also a step above the MDR. Pay attention because on the first day or two they were offering a "Specialty dinner package" which gave a pretty good discount on multiple dinners:D.

Go and enjoy - GOS to me harkens back to the old days - teak decks and beautiful views. I know balconies are a bit expensive on GOS (and aren't too many) but worth the splurge.

The only thing I disliked about the refurb was the way they walled off the atrium area on decks 7 and 8 - makes that area very crowded now. To see the aerial show we had to go up to like deck 10 and look down - LOL:p

I have been any many Carnival cruises, but booked the Grandeur last Feb, because it sails out of Baltimore. I was not disappointed. Food was good, crew grew at, enjoyed the shows and aerial show. Liked it so much we are cruising on the Grandeur this coming Feb, western Cribbean this time. Looking forward to being on the ship. A cruise is what you make it. Enjoy your cruise,

I have sailed on both the NCL Star (Panama Canal Jan 2015) and the Grandeur four times - and number 5 will be in 5 days!! There are similar size ships. I like them both.

I have only sailed NCL (3X) and RCL(4X) and find them more similar than different. I would give a slight edge to NCL but love the convenience of sailing out of Baltimore.

You mention your having a rare childless vacation - you may run into many children in the summer. Not really sure since January is our cruise time always.

THey have both Traditional and My Time Dining. My Time is close to the "freestyle" dining that is on NCL.

I enjoy the Grandeur (I am going on her again late this month) I think each class of ship and each cruise line have something to offer. Go into it with an open mind. Of course things will be different than a NCL cruise, but perhaps it will be for the better.

Edited by Firefighterhoop

As mentioned, Grandeur for one of RCI's smaller ships, has one of the better selections IMO of specialty restaurants which include Chops, Giovanni's Table, and Izumi's, and also features the Chef's Table. All of these in addition to the MDR, Windjammer, and Park Cafe.

Our experience with all of these venues on Grandeur has been very good and - again IMO - puts Grandeur on the better side of dining in the fleet for variety and overall food quality, comparable to the largest and newer ships in the fleet.

Grandeur has been one of our favorite ships as well for the Bermuda itinerary and we are only disappointed that she will not be offering the 7-day Bermuda cruises any more - that was one of our favorites.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I loved Grandeur. Two formal nights and the rest is casual. Even formal wasn't too formal. Lots of entertainments and shows. Food is typical banquet food and plentiful. Baltimore is a very easy port for embarkation and disembarking. Excellent service crew. Would definitely sail on her again.

I loved Grandeur. Two formal nights and the rest is casual. Even formal wasn't too formal. Lots of entertainments and shows. Food is typical banquet food and plentiful. Baltimore is a very easy port for embarkation and disembarking. Excellent service crew. Would definitely sail on her again.

Agree with the Port of Baltimore - the easiest and fastest embarkation and disembarkation we've experienced. And the ship's crew is terrific.

Definitely don't miss Quest. It's adults only but hilarious! I was forced to go on a recent cruise and was so glad I did. We only went to watch but got conned into playing and came in 3rd.

Not to one up you but to echo your thoughts on Quest - a definite "not miss". My wife and her team has won twice (once on Grandeur) and came in second another time. I just watch and film it......:)

I am so glad to read all of these positive remarks about the GOS. My DH and I are booked on her this August for a 9 day cruise. It will be our first as Diamond Members. We love Bermuda. Have been there 7 times in the last 8 years on one ship or another. Can't wait to see what "Being Diamond" means and enjoy our new perks. Thanks for all of the upbeat posts about the GOS.

I am so glad to read all of these positive remarks about the GOS. My DH and I are booked on her this August for a 9 day cruise. It will be our first as Diamond Members. We love Bermuda. Have been there 7 times in the last 8 years on one ship or another. Can't wait to see what "Being Diamond" means and enjoy our new perks. Thanks for all of the upbeat posts about the GOS.

Congratulations on reaching Diamond - very nice milestone! The Diamond Lounge on Grandeur is very nice and located in the back of the ship on deck 6, adjacent to the South Pacific Lounge. Great window views of the sea behind you and excellent Concierge service.

Daily appetizers and free cocktails between 4:30 - 8:00 PM (or 5:00 - 8:30 PM - times can vary by itinerary) plus 3 drink vouchers on your SeaPass card good during those hours at any of the other bars on board as well. One of the best perks, however is the balcony discount (which increases in value by tier level).

Enjoy your cruise on Grandeur and experiencing Diamond for the first time!

We are getting ready to sail on GOS and just have a quick question...

How is the port with bringing on water and/or soda? My DH lives on Mt. Dew. I am curious if we are able to bring some on, would you suggest cans or bottles?

As far as the water, we do have a package that provides bottled water but I drink well over 3 liters of water a day. Those small bottles just aren't enough. The cases of water come in a cardboard box fully labeled, if that makes a difference.

(sorry for the hijack)

Edited by LilBlackDress

People are usually shocked when I say it, but I've actually come to enjoy sailing on smaller ships like the Grandeur, more so than the jumbo ships. I find the smaller ships to be more peaceful.

The smaller ships (Radiance and below) are great for meeting and getting to know the crew as well. The crew on the larger ships are fantastic as well, but I haven't had the opportunity to meet as many of them on a cruise as on a smaller ship.

The smaller ships (Radiance and below) are great for meeting and getting to know the crew as well. The crew on the larger ships are fantastic as well, but I haven't had the opportunity to meet as many of them on a cruise as on a smaller ship.

Good point. You are correct. There's definitely a different level of interaction with the crew on the smaller ships.

And to answer the previous question about water - I've never had a problem slapping a luggage tag on a case of water and having it delivered to my room. If you go this route, I suggest you reinforce the packaging with tape... as they tend to get roughed up a bit.

If you're on Facebook, search for "Cruising with Radio". Send a friend request. You can then see his past "live" reports from Grandeur. Amazing pics and commentary/ Have fun.

We are getting ready to sail on GOS and just have a quick question...

How is the port with bringing on water and/or soda? My DH lives on Mt. Dew. I am curious if we are able to bring some on, would you suggest cans or bottles?

As far as the water, we do have a package that provides bottled water but I drink well over 3 liters of water a day. Those small bottles just aren't enough. The cases of water come in a cardboard box fully labeled, if that makes a difference.

(sorry for the hijack)

My hubby loves Pepsi. He always brings a 12 pack of cans in his carry on and they have never stopped him. Port security have taken the pack apart and inspected each can, but then they taped everything back up.

Sorry, do not know about water. Try bringing a case with room tag and see what happens. If they won't allow, you would not be out that much.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by retiredgram