Can my non-English-speaking kid stay in the Club Ocean?

SonicHedgehog

We will cruising in January 2016 on the Adventure of the Seas (Southern Caribbean route). Our daughter is 3.5 years old, and she's an active and outgoing child. We come from Scandinavia, speak a rare language, and our daughter doesn't understand or speak any English (or any other language than our native language). I think she would love the kids club but is it even possible to leave her there if she won't be able to understand the counselors? Should I stay there with her the whole time, or will they even let me stay there? Or are there time slots when anybody can get in (even parents with their children)?

I would visit the kids club as soon as you board the ship and speak with them about it. They usually have an open play time when you can bring her to to club and see how she does.... Remember while you can't stay with her you can take a good book and camp out close by and see how it goes! Good luck

We were on an NCL canal cruise last year and the cruise before us was a TA from Copenhagen so there were more non US citizens than Americans. In my dd's age group she was the only one who spoke English. The kids didn't really seem to mind. I saw my dd talking to one of the kids and using a lot of hand gestures. They figured out each other. Laughter is universal. He also spoke a very rare language and I don't think the counselors spoke it but go to the club the first night and ask. Take a tour and see what it's like. After the first drop off come back in a half hour or so and see how it's going. You may be surprised.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

We were on an NCL canal cruise last year and the cruise before us was a TA from Copenhagen so there were more non US citizens than Americans. In my dd's age group she was the only one who spoke English. The kids didn't really seem to mind. I saw my dd talking to one of the kids and using a lot of hand gestures. They figured out each other. Laughter is universal. He also spoke a very rare language and I don't think the counselors spoke it but go to the club the first night and ask. Take a tour and see what it's like. After the first drop off come back in a half hour or so and see how it's going. You may be surprised.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Great report!

Thank you all for your opinions and advice! I think we will take her to the kids club, see how she likes it, and tell the counselors that she doesn't understand English. And then try leaving for a moment.

Children of that age may play alone or side by side, they don't necessarily need "friends" to play with. Or then, as Travelhound mentioned, they can use hand gestures to communicate with others. I am sure it goes well :)

When my son was small, I'd call the kids club 15 minutes after dropping him off to make sure he was happy. If he saw me, he might want to leave so I didn't want to come back but the counselors were able to reassure me over the phone that he was fine. You might want to ask if they have phones or beepers available to the parents of children with special circumstances so they will be able to easily reach you if there is any difficulty. On the Baltic cruise, there were quite a few non-English speaking children in the kids club, although there may have been more than one child who spoke the same European dialect and they all seemed quite happy.

Edited by kitkat343

They can give you a cell phone that they will call you if she needs you. They'll let you walk her in the first day, but that's about it. If she's active and outgoing, sounds like she'll be brave enough to get started. And the counsellors will do great with her.

Oh, get there early the first day so you will get a cell phone. They only have a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by ladygal4.4

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you all for your opinions and advice! I think we will take her to the kids club, see how she likes it, and tell the counselors that she doesn't understand English. And then try leaving for a moment.

Children of that age may play alone or side by side, they don't necessarily need "friends" to play with. Or then, as Travelhound mentioned, they can use hand gestures to communicate with others. I am sure it goes well :)

My brother and I speak only english and traveled to Denmark when we were little and went to legoland. We did not understand the other kids but had a great time and cooperative play as built and raced lego cars against each other. Kids are more resilient regarding language barriers than adults.