Dvd players in cabins?

cadu43

I was on sister ship Nieuw Amsterdam in October and November, and we had the new interactive TV. When that was installed, the DVD player was removed.

The new TV setup has on demand movies and TV shows, but a much reduced selection of movies (although there are still a goodly amount). The very old, classic movies were gone.

I found without the written list it took a long time to find what was available, or (if I knew what I wanted) what I was looking for.

I was on sister ship Nieuw Amsterdam in October and November, and we had the new interactive TV. When that was installed, the DVD player was removed.

The new TV setup has on demand movies and TV shows, but a much reduced selection of movies (although there are still a goodly amount). The very old, classic movies were gone.

I found without the written list it took a long time to find what was available, or (if I knew what I wanted) what I was looking for.

Thank you for providing this information. I am booked on the N.A. for a future cruise. In the past I liked to bring a few DVDs with me, I guess I won't be doing that. My taste in movies is so quirky I can rarely find something I am willing to watch on internet sites, such as Netflix. So I doubt I will find anything worth watching on the new system.

Another bad decision by HAL management. Why couldn't they have left the DVD players alone when they installed the new system?

It is not something important enough to make me cancel, but is another straw on the back of that camel. A few more straws and I will start looking at other cruise lines again.

Another bad decision by HAL management. Why couldn't they have left the DVD players alone when they installed the new system?

The new, large TVs are mounted on the wall (above the sofa in our cabin). Not really any place for a DVD player. They are much too large to fit in the former location that also held the DVD player.

The new, large TVs are mounted on the wall (above the sofa in our cabin). Not really any place for a DVD player. They are much too large to fit in the former location that also held the DVD player.

Well, I am glad the TV's are bigger and I am also glad they are mounted on the wall - gets them out of the way, and is safer if the ship should list or something.

They could have picked a tv with a DVD compartment on the side. I doubt if I will find anything I want to watch on an interactive system.

Oh well, I am not going on a cruise to watch TV, it is just something to do at night, while the ship is underway.

Our DVD players have always died well before the TV. It seems like an incredible waste of money to replace a relatively expensive TV because of a reactively inexpensive DVD player. I know there are many other places I'd prefer HAL to spend that money.

We had things we'd prefer to watch loaded on our iPad. Easy enough for us to use without expecting HAL to provide for our tastes.

Edited by Mary Ellen

They could have picked a tv with a DVD compartment on the side. I doubt if I will find anything I want to watch on an interactive system.

I did run my fingers across the sides and bottom of the TV to be sure there was no slot for a DVD. I didn't feel one.

Since there was no remote for a DVD, and the TV remote didn't have anything that would have controlled a DVD, I was pretty sure there wasn't a DVD slot, but I knew it was possible I just had a remote missing. I didn't.

Do check the movie listings before you give up entirely. There is an "all" selection, which goes through them in alphabetical order. There are also such headings as "drama", "comedy", documentary", and a few others where you can narrow down the choices. Some movies appear under more than one heading.

I did find a few that I enjoyed. You may get lucky, too.

I did contact Holland re: another issue and asked about the dvd players on board the Eurodam. Was told she still has the dvd players in the cabins.

Thank you all for your replies and Happy New Year.

Is HAL NUTS - they mounted the TVs OVER the sofa?? Kind of defeats the purpose of relaxing and watching a movie.

Is HAL NUTS - they mounted the TVs OVER the sofa?? Kind of defeats the purpose of relaxing and watching a movie.

That was the same concern I have! I'm booked in a Neptune Suite on the Eurodam later this month and I love the new decor, etc. that I've seen on the website, but can't figure out why they would place the TV where it appears to be impossible to watch it from the couch.