OFF TOPIC HELP - any computer whiz's or digital camera whiz's out there?

sprinkles

Hi all,

We're leaving in a week for the Royal Europe. Hubby finally broke down and bought a digital camera for the trip (no more worrying about film for us). Question: how do we load out pictures into the computer?

We bought a Nikon 4300, he installed then took out and re-installed the Nikon View, but all he gets when he tries to download the pictures using the cable, that the computer is is not reading anything from the camera (there are pictures on it). He also gets messages asking him to put in the Windows ME disk (we never got one?) If he uses the cardreader we bought to try to download he gets messages saying that we don't have the proper driver (our computer is only three years old)?

Grasping at straws here, hoping that someone might have an answer. I'm confident that the camera is working and I know we don't need to worry about this right now. But I could really use his help with the packing and not have him obsessed with this mess. Any suggestions. Thanks.

Tammy

SINGLE DIGIT MIDGIT!!!!! (I HAVEN'T SAID THAT FOR A YEAR).

Is the camera turned on?

Is it physically connected to the computer?

I had the same thing happen on one of our digitals and the camera has to be ON for it to send a signal to the computer saying it has photos to download.

Most digitals can be hooked up to a computer using a cable that has a USB connector on one end that plugs into the computer and a firewire connector (smaller) that hooks into the camera.

If you've got windows2000 or later it will probably recognize what you're trying to do and take it from there, especially if you have Windows XP

Happy Cruising

Chris

www.LifeIsCruising.com

Next up:

Caribbean Princess 06/26/04

Star Princess 10/24/04

Diamond Princess 12/22/04

Carnival Miracle 03/13/05

Oh I didn't notice until I re-read your post that you have Windows ME.

There's an outside chance that could be the problem. I'd call Nikon tec support if you don't get the issue resolved pretty quickly. I doubt it's your camera that's the problem and if you've followed the instructions that came with it you've probably done all you can

These things can be frustrating because they are basically very simple and there are just so many things we can do to muck up the works.

Happy Cruising

Chris

www.LifeIsCruising.com

Next up:

Star Princess 10/24/04

Sprinkles -- Is your memory card in the camera; is your battery dead; and is your camera turned on? I have a Nikon 3100 and I love it. Check the back of your Nikon manual and check out the "Troubleshooting" section. I chose my camera because it's so tiny and so easy to carry. In spite of it's size it takes fabulous pictures. There is an snswer to your problem, so keep checking. Good advice from another poster....call the Nikon tech.

KB

NCL NORWAY - 2000

GOLDEN PRINCESS - 2001

GOLDEN PRINCESS - 2002

HAL NOORDAM - 2002

HAL VOLENDAM - 2003

ISLAND PRINCESS - NOV. 2003

HAL VOLENDAM - JAN. 2004

CORAL PRINCESS - OCT. 2004

Guest KateKathy

I have the Nikon 5700 and love it. Windows ME could be the culpret. It's know for causing problems. But as usual Cruisingislife has good suggestions.

If you email Nikon support they will get back to you ASAP - they did when I had a problem.

Kate

Golden Princess 06/04

Sun Princess 5/04

Carnival Pride 03/04

Carnival Victory 06/03

Norwegian Sun 03/03

Ocean Princess 07/02

Wind Surf 07/01

"He also gets messages asking him to put in the Windows ME disk (we never got one?)"

Windows is looking for a file to make the transfer work when using Nikon's sofware. Every computer has a windows disk that came with the computer. See if you can locate this and insert when prompted.

Otherwise, if using the card reader...

did it come with it's own software? Does it say it is ME compatable?

When intalling any new device, need to install software that came with it first, then plug in device, then the computer recognizes the device and loads the appropriate software. Have to do it in this order.

Not much time to get this straighted out. If new to digital, please make sure you take some photos at home to practice and be familiar with the camera settings.

Please take a large memory card, the one that comes with camera only basic, will not hold more than a dozen pictures on highest resolution (yes you need to use the highest resolution). Purchace at least a 256K card, you can find them for less than $80 (I always take 3!) Also good idea to have a spare battery, camera useless without one.

http://community.webshots.com/user/doctrd

Paradise 3/04

Destiny 11/03

Destiny 3/03

Voyager of Seas 11/99

Paradise 7/99

Grand Princess (Grand Suite) 4/99

Grand Princess (Grand Suite) 11/98

Imagination 7/98

Fantasy 7/97

Lucky for me, my husband is a computer whiz, so he fixes all my computer problems. I do know I often get messages that I need a driver and he is always able to go online and download a current driver, so If this is a problem, it is one that is easily fixed.

Carnival Spirit-Hawaii

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2003;10;6;13;0;00&timezone=GMT-1000

Go to Costco and spend $80 on Windows XP - sorry it's so high.

Windows ME and a 3 year old computer - that's archaic in computer terms - sorry that's the bad news.

Now, once you have XP your whole PC experience will be much more bliss. I have a combo of 6 PC's and notebooks in my house and a combo of wired and wireless. I am a computer whizz but I think I would have thrown the whole lot out of the window had Microsoft not brought out WIndows XP. It is easy to install and REALLY is EXCELLENT value for money. If you are having driver problems on ME (that's over 5 years old), welcome to PC hell.

Sorry to be blunt but I really am offereing you the absolute best (and right) solution.

<applet codebase="http://*************/java-sys" height="25" width="203" code="countdown.class">

<PARAM NAME="font" VALUE="lcdb0"><PARAM NAME="month" VALUE="4"><PARAM NAME="hour" VALUE="17"><PARAM NAME="year" VALUE="2005"><PARAM NAME="day" VALUE="03">

</applet>

RCCL - Mariner (April 3rd 2005) - Click here for April 3rd 2005 Mariner Roll Call

Princess - Golden (April 3rd 2004)

RCCL - Navigator (June 2003)

RCCL - Explorer (April 2002)

RCCL - Voyager (June 2001)

Carnival - Paradise (Dec/Jan 1999/2000 Millenium Cruise)

Big Red Boat icon_smile.gif (1997)

7bdolph.gif

If all else fails... I got off the Star at the beginning of the month and used the photo shop to download to a CD. All together it was about $25.00 and I had over 500 images (it was a 30 day cruise). I had 2 256MB CFs. Usually they would download while I was standing there. The next day you could pick up an index of your pictures. After visiting the Pyramids there was a huge line so we were supposed to go back at 11:30PM to pick up the card, luckily I had the 2 cards so I didn't have to wait up. They did a great job and I was very happy with the CD. The only thing that I didn't like was they couldn't add the last day's picture to the CD, so Venice is not on it.

Star Princess Bangkok to Venice

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;3;3;17;00;00&timezone=GMT+0800

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I think I would have thrown the whole lot out of the window had Microsoft not brought out WIndows XP <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Happy Cruising

Chris

www.LifeIsCruising.com

Next up:

Star Princess 10/24/04

Thanks ALL for the help. I really wish I could have gotten DH to get the camera sooner. OK, as far as the camera goes. I think we are OK. We got the second to largest memory card and I think it gives us 350 pictures with the full four megapixels. We also got an extra battery.

As far as this dang computer (no we really never did get a ME disk with the computer, we have searched for it before and can't find it - OK so maybe we lost it). I made hubby read all your replies and I think he is going toward the idea of dumping ME and getting XP.

NOW, since you have all been so helpfull, here's another question from the computer dumb (myself). If we dump ME and put in XP will that fix/get rid of the any viruses on the computer? We might have picked one up recently that the firewall didn't stop. OK, my guess is your gonna tell me no, that's it's time for a new computer. Thanks everyone.

Tammy

I have not undated yet because....I did upgrade via software to XP and found that my DVD player unit built in my computer was made for Me so will not function at all with XP.My HP printer will not funtion with XP and there is no upgrade.

I disinstalled my XP which I personally think is a wonderful improvement on Me and downgraded to Me because Of my DVD and Printer problem.Was in touch with Microsoft regarding the two problems and the only answer was WE WILL REFOUND THE MONEY YOU PAID FOR YouR UPGRADE SOFtWARE.

Not having any problems with me at the moment ....so will probably wait and get a new CPU in a years time. icon_cool.gif

Take care then if you are just going to upgrade via software.A new CPU might be the best route with XP built in it. icon_smile.gif

I have another digital cameral question. Just got back from my cruise and almost all the pictures that were taken inside are yellow. You can see the subjects in the picture but there is a yellow to gold tinge. Help what can I do to take good inside pictures, especially if the lighting is a little low.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sprinkles:

Thanks ALL for the help. I really wish I could have gotten DH to get the camera sooner. OK, as far as the camera goes. I think we are OK. We got the second to largest memory card and I think it gives us 350 pictures with the full four megapixels. We also got an extra battery.

As far as this dang computer (no we really never did get a ME disk with the computer, we have searched for it before and can't find it - OK so maybe we lost it). I made hubby read all your replies and I think he is going toward the idea of dumping ME and getting XP.

NOW, since you have all been so helpfull, here's another question from the computer dumb (myself). If we dump ME and put in XP will that fix/get rid of the any viruses on the computer? We might have picked one up recently that the firewall didn't stop. OK, my guess is your gonna tell me no, that's it's time for a new computer. Thanks everyone.

Tammy<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Tammy,

Installing XP and uninstalling ME will start your hard drive off with a clean slate. The problem is if you need to move saved or old files, folders or programs from ME onto XP. If one of them is infected, you're going to have the same problem that you had with ME.

You can try to do a System Restore prior to the time frame you think your computer got infected. You might lose some data or files but you'll essentially bring your hard drive backwards and running prior to the infection. You can always replace what you've lost as long as you don't use the same data that you got rid of in the first place since the virus is probably floating around in there.

You can try and antivirus software such as Norton or Symantec since these softwares are constantly updated.

Thanks for the info. We have Mccaffee firewall and Norton anti-virus, but it still got through somehow. Not sure what hubby did last night, but he was finally able to get rid of the two viruses we picked up (I'm never opening anything again!!!).

Think we've definately decided to go over to the XP, but we will have to deal with it when we get back. Hubby has finally gotten excited about our cruise and is ironing his clothes as we speak. Thanks everyone.

Tammy

Jburp: Try out the different settings on your camera. My Fuji camera has several different flash modes. Sometimes I force it to use the flash although there's enough light without it.

You can also try to correct the colors afterward through your photo software. I have Microsoft Picture It, which is fairly easy to use. (And I have access to Photoshop at work if there's something more sophisticated I need to do to a photo.)

The yellow and or gold color in pictures taken inside is because of artifical lighting (florscent and/or tungsten). See if your camera has a tungsten flash setting - this should help compensate for the overabundance of yellow. You can also buy filters to compensate for tungsten and/or florscent lighthing situations - check to see if your camera accepts filters. If you do use a filter, you may have to adjust the white balance (or the pictures may look too blue or too red). Hope this helps.

Mary

You can set the camera to take picutres indoors as suggested, but you already have picutres that need color correction. If you don't already, use a good photo editing program. I suggest Photoshop Elements 2.0. Most good programs will have some sort of color correction software.

http://community.webshots.com/user/doctrd

Paradise 3/04

Destiny 11/03

Destiny 3/03

Voyager of Seas 11/99

Paradise 7/99

Grand Princess (Grand Suite) 4/99

Grand Princess (Grand Suite) 11/98

Imagination 7/98

Fantasy 7/97

Archived