Best Intinerary?

scorchestra

Comparing to HAL who has been there almost 30+ years or Princess with 25 + years. Celebrity is a new comer.

Yes, but it's being posted, as a "negative", which I don't agree with. Celebrity has 2 of the top 3 ship naturalists. (my opinion). They go to Hoonah, and Seward. Plenty of people greatly enjoy their cruises with them. They don't get lost every week, because they are so "new", they aren't late every week. etc. They do just as good a job with their cruises as the other large liners, and have some superior cruise tours, with their Seward, Talkeetna and Girdwood offers.

Only port times , glacier visited and ports visited.

We're pretty much down to the CCL Legend and the RCCL explorer. We're very partial ito RCCL but prices are 20% better on CCL What might be the clincher for CCL is that it appears Legend has an extra port (Ketcikam) vs a day cruising the inside passage.

Anyone have opinions on which is a better way to spend the a day

We're pretty much down to the CCL Legend and the RCCL explorer. We're very partial ito RCCL but prices are 20% better on CCL What might be the clincher for CCL is that it appears Legend has an extra port (Ketcikam) vs a day cruising the inside passage.

Is Radiance one way to or from Vancouver not an option? I consider RCI's Alaska itinerary from Seattle to be one of the weaker ones available, and it has been that way for years - regardless of the ship. You get only 2 Alaskan ports, Juneau and Skagway, plus Tracy Arm. (Most ships will go to 3 or more Alaskan ports plus a glacier.) On the other hand, Explorer gives you a full day in Victoria vs. the few nighttime hours that you'll get there on Carnival. But - it isn't Alaska! You won't have a long time in Ketchikan on Legend, but you'll see one more Alaskan town. Finally - I think Explorer is rather large for the Alaskan ports.

We did RCCL on my first cruise in Alaska. I didn't look at this until we were on the ship but it had the worst times in port (2-10 in Juneau and tendering and this has turned out to be my favorite port).

I think other lines do a better job in Alaska. RCCL didn't have any Alaska talks except for Diamonds International shopping.

I would expand your horizons and look at the whole Alaska experience (ports, times in port, is there a naturalist on the ship, speakers).

Edited by Coral

I have never sailed with NCL, but I'm willing to give them a try for this itinerary at a great price. :)

Don't know if you're still looking at this one, Nancy.

I have sailed NCL and I am a fan. But I would personally avoid the Sun.

Sailed on her sister, the Sky, around 2002. It was okay at the time, but with small cabins. At this point in time, I consider these ships totally outdated. I have seen recent posts on here that said the same.

Thanks to those who posted the three replies above.

A one wayer is not really an option for us 1/3 of our part is a single Mom and young kids who live in Seattle. DW and I look at this as our starter cruise in Alaska, and just want to learn enough to do it right next time.

I appreciate the frank assessment of the RCCL itinerary, I don't think most of my group will be WOWed by the ship enough to offset the cost and lackluster schedule (a full day in Victoria for folks who live in Seatle probably won't be much of a selling point).

Haven't heard anyone say "Don't do Carnival" so it looks like this will be how we end up going.

Edited by nealstuber

I have never sailed with NCL, but I'm willing to give them a try for this itinerary at a great price. :)

Don't know if you're still looking at this one, Nancy.

I have sailed NCL and I am a fan. But I would personally avoid the Sun.

Sailed on her sister, the Sky, around 2002. It was okay at the time, but with small cabins. At this point in time, I consider these ships totally outdated. I have seen recent posts on here that said the same.

It took me a few readings to realize that you were quoting me! :D I am not bothered by the fact that the Sun is an older ship with small cabins, and I read that it will have a dry dock in 2016. However, as much as I really like its itinerary, it may get cancelled if I decide to vacation somewhere new.

Haven't heard anyone say "Don't do Carnival" so it looks like this will be how we end up going.

I've sailed Carnival 4 times in the last 2 years, in Alaska. They do a good job, with the limits of a round trip Seattle itinerary. (limits being inclusion of Victoria) :)

I do, strongly suggest the inclusion of the add on Tracy Arm ship tour. WAY superior compared to the cruise ship sailing. All the cruises I was on with Tracy Arm, did not get past Sawyer Island which is "usual".

With regard to the family with the 13 yr. old, HAL is probably not the cruise line that would offer the best experience for someone that age. Just about any of the other lines mentioned would be better for those traveling with a middle school, high school or college aged cruiser. As for itinerary, HAL is known to have very good ones, and good service as well.

We've cruised many times to a lot of places, but never to Alaska. I'll need to be asking a lot of questions about itineraries and activities myself on these boards as we are hoping to do an AK cruise this summer but have not yet booked. The things posted above have offered some things to think about for sure! Thanks for the info!

With regard to the family with the 13 yr. old, HAL is probably not the cruise line that would offer the best experience for someone that age. Just about any of the other lines mentioned would be better for those traveling with a middle school, high school or college aged cruiser. As for itinerary, HAL is known to have very good ones, and good service as well.

We've cruised many times to a lot of places, but never to Alaska. I'll need to be asking a lot of questions about itineraries and activities myself on these boards as we are hoping to do an AK cruise this summer but have not yet booked. The things posted above have offered some things to think about for sure! Thanks for the info!

FYI - all the lines (maybe with the exception of Disney) have an older clientele in Alaska. My RCCL cruise to Alaska also had an older clientele. This is entirely different than the Caribbean.

I would not rule out HAL to Alaska. They have great itineraries.

With you never sailing HAL in Alaska, I disagree with your "assumption". They actually bring "Alaska" into the kids programs, and depending on the ship naturalist- they get involved as well. The National Park Rangers take a special interest in kids with the Ranger Program.

NONE of the major cruise lines have the numbers of kids sailing compared to the Caribbean. Demographics are similar on all those lines. Proved true- again last season in my experience sailing Carnival, Princess and HAL.

Budget Queen, looks like we'll be doing the Legend on 7/26 with family ranging from 7 to 75. Looking forward to drawing on you insight and experience. Thanks in advance.

I was on the Legend last year, and again, had a great time on Carnival and in Alaska.