Officers on Nieuw Amsterdam

MusicalBear

I am organizing the M&G for our roll call and have been confirmed with a time and place for the event. I wanted to invite the officers to attend the M&G but HAL would not give me a list. Does anyone have a list of officers for the 1/24 and 1/31/16 sailings of the Nieuw Amsterdam? Having read other threads on the HAL boards I realize the officers are not attending the M&G like they used to but I would still like to invite them.

Edited by MusicalBear

I commend your efforts to trying to invite our officers to the M&G but for some reason ships services say they will not attend. So sad! I loved having them at the functions like the old days! I sure do not understand why they will not attend or why the change has happened to all the future cruises. Maybe it is management!

Denise:)

PS I hope you succeed!

I am organizing the M&G for our roll call and have been confirmed with a time and place for the event. I wanted to invite the officers to attend the M&G but HAL would not give me a list. Does anyone have a list of officers for the 1/24 and 1/31/16 sailings of the Nieuw Amsterdam? Having read other threads on the HAL boards I realize the officers are not attending the M&G like they used to but I would still like to invite them.

If Copper does not see this post, then my suggestion is just to take your invites ready to go and once on board, there should be a listing of who is who in the On Location or shore excursion booklet or you can go to the web friendly thing they have that says "meet the officers". address your envelopes and drop them off to the front desk for delivery.

I totally agree with inviting them. I plan to do the same. I don't expect them to attend but I do want them to see the "thank you" to the Westerdam and it's crew for our venue and service on our invites.

Invites are always nice - go for it :) Who knows? You might even be surprised depending upon the officers on board.

If Copper does not see this post, then my suggestion is just to take your invites ready to go and once on board, there should be a listing of who is who in the On Location or shore excursion booklet or you can go to the web friendly thing they have that says "meet the officers". address your envelopes and drop them off to the front desk for delivery.

I totally agree with inviting them. I plan to do the same. I don't expect them to attend but I do want them to see the "thank you" to the Westerdam and it's crew for our venue and service on our invites.

Invites are always nice - go for it :) Who knows? You might even be surprised depending upon the officers on board.

I agree. :)

Nothing wrong with preparing and having invitations delivered.

Thank you for the information and support. It is nice to be able to meet the officers at the M&G.

I organized a M&G on the Royal Princess last year and all of the officers and some of the musicians attended. The M&G happened to be on my birthday and the captain presented me with a long stem red rose. It was a very memorable occasion.

If HAL does not want their officers to attend I don't know why people would not respect that decision.

What is an officer supposed to do with an invite thar he/she should not attend?

Write a short thank you with regrets?

If HAL wishes to remain a company noted for outstanding service that would be the way for the ships to handle such invitations: with grace.

Edited by SilvertoGold

While I am certainly not an advocate for complaining to officers at any social function - and people definitely should not even consider doing that - HAL's decision to stop officers attending functions is, in my view, a huge slap in the face to it's clientelle. Using the excuse that people complain is really lame. On our last cruise the captain and senior officers were there, socialized with everyone and not one negative comment was heard. To hear that they now will not attend any such functions is a sad reflection on HAL and if it is really true that maintenance issues are to blame then they should fix them.

To the OP - yes, arrange to have your invitations delivered. Hopefully you will at least get a note of regret, and they will not be ignored. At best, one or two may attend.

If HAL does not want their officers to attend I don't know why people would not respect that decision.

What is an officer supposed to do with an invite thar he/she should not attend?

Actually it is a ship decision. HAL has given them an out, but some might still like to do it. I see no harm in sending an invite, especially when there is an acknowledgment to the staff for their kindness to provide the treats and the venue. I always include that in mine and it's one of the reasons I like to send them.

An invitation is just that - an invitation. They can choose to decline. JMO.

While I am certainly not an advocate for complaining to officers at any social function - and people definitely should not even consider doing that - HAL's decision to stop officers attending functions is, in my view, a huge slap in the face to it's clientelle. Using the excuse that people complain is really lame. On our last cruise the captain and senior officers were there, socialized with everyone and not one negative comment was heard. To hear that they now will not attend any such functions is a sad reflection on HAL and if it is really true that maintenance issues are to blame then they should fix them.

To the OP - yes, arrange to have your invitations delivered. Hopefully you will at least get a note of regret, and they will not be ignored. At best, one or two may attend.

Sorry to disagree but have heard people complain at social events with the officers, not at all of them but enough that it was embarrassing to everyone! I do not consider it a slap in the clientele's face but rather a mitigation of a possible bad situation to have fewer officers, if any, at a social event. From what I have seen, officers still attend functions, just in fewer numbers and less often or they stay for just a short period of time. Service is important but they are on board to do a job, and a fairly demanding job at that which is very different from the CD and their staffs' jobs which is to keep the passengers happy. Why don't you cut the officers a little slack when you deliver the invitations to the front desk and add something like, 'we would love to have you attend if it fits into your schedule but understand if you cannot attend'. This will result in 1 less irritation and complaint if RSVP's are not sent especially as there are often several groups on board who are also having functions.

Sorry to disagree but have heard people complain at social events with the officers, not at all of them but enough that it was embarrassing to everyone! I do not consider it a slap in the clientele's face but rather a mitigation of a possible bad situation to have fewer officers, if any, at a social event. From what I have seen, officers still attend functions, just in fewer numbers and less often or they stay for just a short period of time. Service is important but they are on board to do a job, and a fairly demanding job at that which is very different from the CD and their staffs' jobs which is to keep the passengers happy. Why don't you cut the officers a little slack when you deliver the invitations to the front desk and add something like, 'we would love to have you attend if it fits into your schedule but understand if you cannot attend'. This will result in 1 less irritation and complaint if RSVP's are not sent especially as there are often several groups on board who are also having functions.

Your phrasing of a possible invitation is excellent.

I have thought it might be wise, or at least practical, to get the Captain and Chief Engineer and all other Engine and Deck officers out of the pax-business. Their job could be strictly ship-orientated.

Aren't the CD and HD paid, respectively, to entertain the pax and keep the hotel part running smoothly? They have pax-orientated positions so they are the ones who could be going to these functions, if any officers at all do so.

Edited by SilvertoGold

Aren't the CD and HD paid, respectively, to entertain the pax and keep the hotel part running smoothly? They have pax-orientated positions so they are the ones who could be going to these functions, if any officers at all do so.

You'd think. When I was on the Veendam the cd would only speak to her colleagues when she wasn't on duty. I was at a party and she didn't speak to one pax, just spoke to show host Jeramy. She was the biggest fake because she really put on a "show" once on stage. I've heard people on CC say that she's fantastic. Clearly then never saw her off stage.

Edited by cruz chic

You'd think. When I was on the Veendam the cd would only speak to her colleagues when she wasn't on duty. I was at a party and she didn't speak to one pax, just spoke to show host Jeramy. She was the biggest fake because she really put on a "show" once on stage. I've heard people on CC say that she's fantastic. Clearly then never saw her off stage.

Hmm, I guess that sums up the attitude of some CDs. And I guess it can be an overwhelming position.

I know I once saw a CD going ashore as we were returning to the ship and she had a truly hunted look on her face. I felt pretty sorry for her, she looked so bad.

I wonder what the HAL job description for a CD is like?

Edited by SilvertoGold

Hmm, I guess that sums up the attitude of some CDs. And I guess it can be an overwhelming position.

I know I once saw a CD going ashore as we were returning to the ship and she had a truly hunted look on her face. I felt pretty sorry for her, she looked so bad.

I wonder what the HAL job description for a CD is like?

I'm sure it's overwhelming. If you go into it you best know that your life is not your own. You better be a people person too. She was the most unfriendly cd I've ever seen. I find most if them are generally pleasant, some more than others. On the same cruise I kept running into the beverage manager. He went out of his way to be pleasant and always came over to chat when he saw me. Talk about polar opposites.

Edited by cruz chic