Help with last minute cruises

Dodger55

Simple. Just plunk down the money.

Seriously, it would help if you described what you want. A specific destination, or any cruise. What is last-minute, and why?

I don't know about U.K. pricing. In the U.S. I often book my cruises early and then watch prices go up.

If there was such a website we wouldn't be allowed to post it here since we cannot recommend TAs by name whether they be online or brick and mortar.

The Southampton port schedule is here:

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Live_Information/Shipping_Movements_and_Cruise_Ship_Schedule/Cruise_Ship_Schedule/

Looks like you got a lot of choices. You could start by signing up for email alerts from the lines that interest you. If they are offering late deals you'll get the offers in your inbox.

Just make sure you have six months validity on your passport and check all visa and documentation requirements before you sign on. Last minute deals usually require immediate full payment and are category guarantee only.

Edited by BlueRiband

Thanks for this info. We are looking for cruises for no less than 10 nights and no more than 21. USA bound, Pacific or Caribbean.

I'm guessing since you mentioned Pacific, that you are planning to fly there. Caribbean would mean flying unless you're talking about a trans-Atlantic that starts from Southhampton (and the you'll need a return flight).

Even if you get a last minute cruise at a sale price, most likely any savings would be eaten up by your flight(s).

I think your parameters are mutually exclusive. Southampton round trip is not going to work out with the destinations you give within the time constraints. If you are prepared to fly in one direction I feel it unlikely you will get a cheap deal at last minute on the flight aspect of the trip.

Realistically you need to be thinking of Southampton round trip to Mediterranean or increasing the budget.

Regards John

Thank you for all your helpful replies. I think we are going to fly out to the USA and cruise back. Now receiving offers from most of the cruise lines so something will fit the bill I'm sure.

Happy cruising!

Just realize that most people have been finding that cruise prices have been going UP as the departure date approaches. We have a cruise where the fare for our cabin category has increased by nearly $800 USD since we booked earlier.

We have only booked Caribbean and Med cruises that were going down in price. Last five or six have all been 14-17 days and all booked inside the final payment window.

You do need to keep tabs on pricing daily though and you need to have an understanding of the pricing across several cruise lines. We have booked at blow out prices only to see the price double the following day. We have also seen the price decrease even more.

So when we buy inside the final payment window we set a target price. When it hits we immediately hit the buy button. We no longer check after that because it is pointless....we are committed.

My guess is that we have saved about 30-40 percent over the past 15 years by dealing with an on line TA and buy booking selectively inside the final payment window. The money we saved has paid for a fair amount of pre and post cruise travel.

We did a check last week. We could have had a Jan 3 7 day verandah on Eurodam from FLL for $700. That is our target price...$100. per day for a balcony/verandah.

Many of the cruise lines announced this year that they are getting rid of last minute markdowns. It looks as if one of the ways they are doing this is by only offering lower prices on guarantee cabins where you have no cabin choice. Previous experience is not necessarily relevant and while I've picked up some great deals over the years, when I look for them now, they are not there or on a less popular ship.

Since one way airfare is so expensive, your best bet may be to book ahead with the cruise line since they often have better one way international air tickets. Choose a ship that makes a few port stops that you would really like to see and watch for sales and/or package deals.

I am usually not too picky about cabins, but on a long trans Atlantic you may not want to get stuck in the worst cabin.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app