Avoiding Fish at Coki Beach

LuCruise

• 4 weeks later...

Like previous posts - Wherever people feed the fish and there are coral/rocks - fish will be there. In addition sometimes schools of fish just pass by. I've even seen people feed the fish at Magen's Bay although there are distinctly less fish there. My daughter doesn't care to snorkel or "swim with fish" but she loves the Ocean and preferred Coki/Ocean World to Magens Bay around that age.

If you want to completely avoid fish - stick to pools or Florida beaches (except the Keys). I do hope you swim in Caribbean though - as it is a fantastic experience and your son may just surprise you on what he does and doesn't like once he's tried it.

L.A.S.T.

Edited by Lady Anna & Sir Troy

Like previous posts - Wherever people feed the fish and there are coral/rocks - fish will be there. In addition sometimes schools of fish just pass by. I've even seen people feed the fish at Magen's Bay although there are distinctly less fish there. My daughter doesn't care to snorkel or "swim with fish" but she loves the Ocean and preferred Coki/Ocean World to Magens Bay around that age.

That's great to hear as I didn't know if it was silly for us to consider Coki since we are not interested in snorkelling. Can I ask why she prefers Coki? From pictures, it looks beautfiful and it looks like there are smallish waves, which makes it fun, but yet still safe for kids (e.g. compared with Magens where it doesn't look like there is much wave at all).

Like previous posts - Wherever people feed the fish and there are coral/rocks - fish will be there.

If you want to completely avoid fish - stick to pools

L.A.S.T.

Thank you for this post, I have been thinking this very thought since this OP first appeared.

Don't want fish (or waves, or soft sand, or a drop-off, or other unreasonable ocean requests as I have seen in other posts)?

Spend your vacation at a Holiday Inn in Florida with a pool.

Not snarking, just using common sense.

Thank you for this post, I have been thinking this very thought since this OP first appeared.

Don't want fish (or waves, or soft sand, or a drop-off, or other unreasonable ocean requests as I have seen in other posts)?

Spend your vacation at a Holiday Inn in Florida with a pool.

Not snarking, just using common sense.

I am the OP...and if you read my post, all I asked about was fish. Yes, I know the ocean has fish, but meaning swarms of fish. I love the pictures of Coki and want to get a feel if this is the right beach for us. I said that we wanted the waves and then you add soft sand, etc...that surely is different from a swimming pool. Not sure why some need to be sarcastic in their responses (and not sure where your comments came from either since I said the opposite - except for drop off, which I never mentioned???).

Edited by LuCruise

I am the OP...and if you read my post, all I asked about was fish. Yes, I know the ocean has fish, but meaning swarms of fish. I love the pictures of Coki and want to get a feel if this is the right beach for us. I said that we wanted the waves and then you add soft sand, etc...that surely is different from a swimming pool. Not sure why some need to be sarcastic in their responses (and not sure where your comments came from either since I said the opposite - except for drop off, which I never mentioned???).

I get that you want to avoid the fish.

If you read my post, I mentioned that concern about waves, too soft sand, drop-offs and others have been in other posts I have read on these ports of call boards. They too make me laugh, like yours did.

There was no sarcasm.

I get that you want to avoid the fish.

If you read my post, I mentioned that concern about waves, too soft sand, drop-offs and others have been in other posts I have read on these ports of call boards. They too make me laugh, like yours did.

There was no sarcasm.

Hmm..OK. But I don't remember ever going to s swimming pool with waves and soft sand. Again, I was simply asking about tons of fish at Coki (vs say at Magens), and/ or if they are out deeper or mostly near rocks. Didn't think it was a strange question.

PS -for those with kids, the strength of the waves and if a sudden drop off vs gradual are important questions.

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

Edited by LuCruise

Why doesn't he want to swim with fish? This puzzles me. As a mother of 5, i really wouldn't stress too much. 99x out of 100, parents over think and kids are fine. I've been a peds nurse and school nurse for over 20 yrs and you'd be amazed how kids like to enjoy themselves. But I'd also suggest that you NOT make a big deal out of your child's reaction. I'd be more worried if they couldn't swim. And adults have more problems getting out of the ocean than do kids.

• 2 weeks later...

Kids may say something but not really know until there. If everyone else is having fun, maybe child will get braver over time. I'd let the kid play in the water at a level comfortable for her/him and let it be ok if there isn't much swimming, maybe playing up to knees, seeing fish at distance. Maybe others scare off some fish and the exposure comes in bits and pieces.

I haven't been to this location but had a kid a bit afraid of the idea of swimming with fish as well. the sand was kicked up (by us wading out, extra) and this kid did NOT use a mask, we said this area is clear of fish, fish swimming way over there.

The most impt as a parent is no currents and serious risk. It may be a good time for the kid to have a chance to face a "fear" and the more you make it seem like it's not a big deal, by not changing plans or discussing it w/o prompting, but also don't shame their fear in any way, the kid will understand its their fear and not the rest of the family's, could be a growing experience. kids will need to face fears as they grow and the first place to take some safe risks is surrounded by family.

Baby steps, my kid made good progress with fish but on a snorkel with a few stingrays off in the distance had him right back on the pirate boat. it was ok, still had fun on a nice day and the other kid got to do his thing. Might look into places where you can touch sea creatures too, might help them build up some nerve. all in good time. some kids fear dogs for no particular reason at a young age and outgrow it with time and good experiences. good luck.