Buying Drink Package Online vs Onboard

Artemus

I usually plan my vacations 6 to 8 months out. Anything that I can pre pay I do and in full. This way when the trip comes around you almost have no major expenses and I have spread the cost over the 6 to 8 months so you don't really feel it.

It's not psychological for me , it's a case of budgeting and money management.

When the day arrives it sure feels good that you know this vacations is all paid for and look forward to planning the next one.

I usually plan my vacations 6 to 8 months out. Anything that I can pre pay I do and in full. This way when the trip comes around you almost have no major expenses and I have spread the cost over the 6 to 8 months so you don't really feel it.

It's not psychological for me , it's a case of budgeting and money management.

When the day arrives it sure feels good that you know this vacations is all paid for and look forward to planning the next one.

You can still budget and manage your money without giving it to the cruise line in advance. Just put the same money away periodically and then either buy OBC for the cruise, or pay it after the cruise.

The psychological part is not the budgeting and managing, it's the part about giving the money to the cruise line rather than keeping it yourself.

You are Correct Bob. You can stash away the money until needed. There are several ways to do it. I use my system for all vacations not only cruises so the OBC won't work for most our vacations,

There is just something nice about going on vacation knowing it's all paid and yes that part is psychological.

The packages might be slightly less onboard than if you got it online.

My experience was the exact opposite. I just got off of the Anthem and was charged an additional 18% by purchasing on board. The beer and wine package was $42/day PLUS an 18% gratuity. If I had purchased on-line the gratuities would have been included. When purchased on board the $42/day does not include the 18% gratuity.

I was able to pull up the Royal Caribbean website, where it clearly states that gratuities were included in the price. I was referred to guest services. When I showed them that the current, published, price includes the gratuity, I was informed that it doesn't on the Anthem.

I would have pre-purchased if this policy was advertised.

In addition, I pre-payed $35 per person for Chops. Glad I did as it was $45 on board.

My experience was the exact opposite. I just got off of the Anthem and was charged an additional 18% by purchasing on board. The beer and wine package was $42/day PLUS an 18% gratuity. If I had purchased on-line the gratuities would have been included. When purchased on board the $42/day does not include the 18% gratuity.

I was able to pull up the Royal Caribbean website, where it clearly states that gratuities were included in the price. I was referred to guest services. When I showed them that the current, published, price includes the gratuity, I was informed that it doesn't on the Anthem.

In addition, I pre-payed $35 per person for Chops. Glad I did as it was $45 on board.

They were wrong. You need to call about it. You're owed $7.56 per day.

Edited by Retired LEO

Is it possible that there might be a state tax that is applicable if the ship is still in port when the package is purchased? I seem to remember reading something to that regard. But may not be applicable to NJ.

dp

Is it possible that there might be a state tax that is applicable if the ship is still in port when the package is purchased? I seem to remember reading something to that regard. But may not be applicable to NJ.

dp

Someone did report being charged tax when purchasing a package in port, but as I recall it seemed to have been a mistake on the cruise line's part. We've never been charged state tax when purchasing a beverage package in port.

dp

It was an added gratuity, not a tax. I have my receipt in front of me:

7 Select Package @42 $294

Subtotal $294

Gratuity $52.92

Total $346.92

I kept a copy of the bar package flyer and attached a scanned copy. At the bottom, the second sentence states that gratuities are not included. This goes against the "same" flyer on-line that states gratuities are included.

According to guest services, this policy has been in effect since the ship first entered service. I was on Oasis last summer, purchased the drink package on board, and was not charged the added gratuity. Needless to say, this started my cruise on Anthem on a bad note.

img023.pdf

Edited by neflier

well,I will definately keep an eye open about this cause our next cruise is on anthem, and purchased OBC already and planned to use it to purchase bev pkg once on board. Comming from Canada it is better to purchase onboard with OBC since we can buy OBC at a discounted exchange rate (10%) instead of the $89 CAD that is the current price for the UP.

I just added it up and the UP @ $67 USD is $74 CAD if I purchase OBC at 1.10, but if I add 18% grats on top of that, it brings it up to $87. That is hardly much of a deal.

dp

Edited by dpostman

It was an added gratuity, not a tax. I have my receipt in front of me:

7 Select Package @42 $294

Subtotal $294

Gratuity $52.92

Total $346.92

I kept a copy of the bar package flyer and attached a scanned copy. At the bottom, the second sentence states that gratuities are not included. This goes against the "same" flyer on-line that states gratuities are included.

According to guest services, this policy has been in effect since the ship first entered service. I was on Oasis last summer, purchased the drink package on board, and was not charged the added gratuity. Needless to say, this started my cruise on Anthem on a bad note.

You need to call RCI. You paid 36% gratuity. The ship was wrong by charging you gratuity. You will be reimbursed.

Even the pricing for certain packages is different pricing on the online pdf than the shipboard flyer you had.

Select is $42 on both, but The UP is 62 +Grats onboard, but $67 including grats online.

Well, at least RCI is being consistantly inconsistent... As usual. Keeps the CC forums busy.

dp

As per the RCI FAQ here: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=336&faqSubjectName=Food+%26+Beverage&faqId=5477

It specifies: A service charge of 18% is already included in the purchase price when you purchase your beverage package pre cruise

That's maybe what they are basing their excuse to charge the 18% onboard.

dp

As per the RCI FAQ here: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=336&faqSubjectName=Food+%26+Beverage&faqId=5477

It specifies: A service charge of 18% is already included in the purchase price when you purchase your beverage package pre cruise

That's maybe what they are basing their excuse to charge the 18% onboard.

dp

OK, but I was on the Oasis in August and was not charged the additional 18%. I could not find anything on the RCI website indicating the policy has changed.

The published prices are at:

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/shared_assets/pdf/menus/beverage_packages.pdf

I could not find anything on that page indicating these prices are limited to pre cruise purchases. I expect a company to honor their published prices, not a potential loop hole hinted at in a FAQ.

Has anyone else (with the exception of the 12/27 Anthem sailing) been charged an additional 18% gratuity when purchasing a beverage package on board?

Same for for us on the Vision for the New Years cruise, had them listed at the expected 42/57/62 but then had a line at the bottom of the sheet that 18% would be added to all purchases.

OK, but I was on the Oasis in August and was not charged the additional 18%. I could not find anything on the RCI website indicating the policy has changed.

The published prices are at:

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/shared_assets/pdf/menus/beverage_packages.pdf

I could not find anything on that page indicating these prices are limited to pre cruise purchases. I expect a company to honor their published prices, not a potential loop hole hinted at in a FAQ.

Has anyone else (with the exception of the 12/27 Anthem sailing) been charged an additional 18% gratuity when purchasing a beverage package on board?

I have purchased all drink packages on line - but am holding out for my next cruise because of OBC. I think the only way to tell is to call. I'll let everyone know what I find out (if anything.)

I have purchased all drink packages on line - but am holding out for my next cruise because of OBC. I think the only way to tell is to call. I'll let everyone know what I find out (if anything.)

I don't think calling with be of any use-- the call center has very unreliable information. We need some reports from non-holiday cruisers that are going over the next week or so.

We always pay for our drink package way in advance online so that we don't get hit with the bill at the end of our trip. I print out the confirmation just in case and staple it to my cruise documents but haven't ever had to show proof, the sticker is automatically on our sea pass cards. I like to save my OBC so extras on the ship or any last minute excursions.

Not to contradict everyone here but we cruised on the Voyager in April this year. We purchased the Ultimate Drink package through the cruise Planner for $43 AUD, I advise you check every day as the same deal went up a day later to $52 AUD.

I was shocked when we got on board to find the same package at $65USD we had ourselves a bargain. The four couples we were travelling had all done the same.

Next time around we will try to pre buy again .

If you buy it online, do you pay right then and there or does it add it to your balance due by the payment date? We will most likely get drink packages but I am trying to decide if I should do those things now or wait until final payment is due and then add those things in.

If you buy it online, do you pay right then and there or does it add it to your balance due by the payment date? We will most likely get drink packages but I am trying to decide if I should do those things now or wait until final payment is due and then add those things in.

Anything you buy online (except for a la carte restaurants) is charged immediately.

Anything that you purchase online you are charged immediately.