Extra day or 2 in Vancouver?

IRL_Joanie

Just a suggestion for those of us who are doing a cruise out of Vancouver and have an extra day or 2 prior to or post cruise...........

Someone recommended a live web cam site for those of us who love to watch Bears live. It happens to be at a mountain resort (for lack of a better word on my part) just outside of Vancouver. https://grousemountain.com/web-cams/bear-den-cam

2016-01-01_21-25-35.jpg.d6937a6a0c61bc9f1f43a9dbb003e41d.jpg

BUT, that is NOT the reason for this thread!! The reason for this thread and my wishing to alert you all to another place to take the time to see in Vancouver is the fact that while watching the bear cam I've also been checking out the home web site for the bears, Grouse Mountain itself!!

They have live web cams of what appears to me to be a slice of "Ye Olde Vancouver/Olde World Norman Rockwell style" place to visit and enjoy.

1701166003_2016-01-01_21-32_GrouseMountain.jpg.83e72aafcc20b1ccd89ef3bccbc238cc.jpg

My words cannot explain exactly what seems to me to make this a special place to visit if you have an extra day or so in Vancouver so here is their web site so you can see for yourself.

https://grousemountain.com/web-cams/chalet-cam

And at the bottom of the screen/page, they do have directions for transportation to get there.

I've seen the questions over the years of what is there to do while we are in Vancouver, and never seen this mentioned before. I think we will make sure to visit Grouse Mountain after our May 7th cruise:)

Joanie

2016-01-01_21-29.jpg.edc2635a9139788d59a9b1be1eca2cfe.jpg

Edited by IRL_Joanie

Thoughts....

• just 2 days? Some need 2 weeks or more to enjoy Cascadia as it's bigger than all the Alaskan ports combined.
  • Yep.... Grouse is a fav site for visitors after the nearby Capilano Suspension Bridge. There's free shuttles from the cruise terminal throughout the day.
  • to get full value on the Gondola... check show times for Lumberjack show and Birds in motion. Adventurous people may want to try ziplining. Some may want to check out the Eye of the Wind.... the highest observation point in Vancouver.
  • Some go to Alaska for the bears.... why not start with the Grouse Bears... if you get up early enough... also consider Breakfast with the Bears. Please don't feed your spouse to the bears.
    https://www.grousemountain.com/products/breakfast-with-the-bears
  • for those dining at the Observatory in the evening.... your gondola ride is FREE!
    https://www.grousemountain.com/the-observatory-restaurant
  • If a multi-day stay Vancouver accommodation cost is an issue... consider hotels a few blocks away from the cruise terminal (eg Blue Horizon). There are significant savings.
  • Some ideas for multi day stays....
  • Day 1 Grouse Mountain & Capilano

• Day 2 Hop On service with a focus on Stanley Park, Granville Island, and Gastown.

• Day 3 Victoria and Butchart Gardens day trip?

• Day 4 Whistler?

• Day 5 Storybrooke? Vandusen? Weather contingency? Shopping? Dim Sum?

• extra days can go to Banff or nearby Seattle.

• if you come in late July.... there's a fireworks competition

[YOUTUBE]RJZcYalXkPg[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]zutUe_0X3PA[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]rx-ClLHK3Yg[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]CvMHokzZJ_0[/YOUTUBE]

Too many wonderful choices !! We will have 2 1/2 days. Arrive around 2:30 on an Wed and board on Sat. We are going on an 8-hour fishing trip Thurs so that leaves Wed afternoon and all day Fri. For the ones that have been there.....what would you suggest that we NOT miss? Also, are big foodies.....any place special we should eat?

Too many wonderful choices !! We will have 2 1/2 days. Arrive around 2:30 on an Wed and board on Sat. We are going on an 8-hour fishing trip Thurs so that leaves Wed afternoon and all day Fri. For the ones that have been there.....what would you suggest that we NOT miss? Also, are big foodies.....any place special we should eat?
Ideas....

• Day 1: 2:30pm arrival means you will be free at 4pm to start your Vancouver experience. If you share your hotel location, we can target our responses for your neighborhood.
  • Day 2: Fishing? Where are you fishing? What time does it start and end? If it starts early.... you can still do things in the evening.
  • What is your sailing date? June travellers can enjoy sunlight well past 9pm.
  • Day 3: This is your full day to tour the city. Focus on Capilano and Grouse. Others will spend the day on the hop on tours.
  • Food wise..... Vancouver is a destination port for dining. Lots to choose from and the multi-cultural environment means you can eat the world by walking around some blocks. With a strong Asian influence in the city... many seek out a "Dim Sum" experience for brunch. Best described as an Oriental high tea where you can sample various kinds of food.
  • Gelato? Bellas is award winning. La Casa offers 218 flavours
  • Mink has a great chocolate bar a few blocks from the cruise terminal
  • do consider changing your flights for additional days in Vancouver, as well as surrounding areas.

[YOUTUBE]ky8bouLbbB8[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]AhuNhqaABmg[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]ZLL6du--lQA[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]vIvtsz1b60Q[/YOUTUBE]

On a previous visit we did the Grouse Mountain/Capilano tours but it was early in the season and too foggy to see anything! Will try again this year.

I can recommend Mink--the chocolates are good (and expensive) but the chocolate drinks are out of this world rich and delicious!

We also recommend a Vancouver Food Tour--walking tour of great good trucks. Exercise and food!:)

Just a suggestion for those of us who are doing a cruise out of Vancouver and have an extra day or 2 prior to or post cruise...........

Someone recommended a live web cam site for those of us who love to watch Bears live. It happens to be at a mountain resort (for lack of a better word on my part) just outside of Vancouver. https://grousemountain.com/web-cams/bear-den-cam

[ATTACH]372378[/ATTACH]

BUT, that is NOT the reason for this thread!! The reason for this thread and my wishing to alert you all to another place to take the time to see in Vancouver is the fact that while watching the bear cam I've also been checking out the home web site for the bears, Grouse Mountain itself!!

They have live web cams of what appears to me to be a slice of "Ye Olde Vancouver/Olde World Norman Rockwell style" place to visit and enjoy.

[ATTACH]372379[/ATTACH][ATTACH]372380[/ATTACH]

My words cannot explain exactly what seems to me to make this a special place to visit if you have an extra day or so in Vancouver so here is their web site so you can see for yourself.

https://grousemountain.com/web-cams/chalet-cam

And at the bottom of the screen/page, they do have directions for transportation to get there.

I've seen the questions over the years of what is there to do while we are in Vancouver, and never seen this mentioned before. I think we will make sure to visit Grouse Mountain after our May 7th cruise:)

Joanie

What a wonderful suggestion!!! We will be staying on in Vancouver overnight at the end of the same cruise and I was looking for something to do.

We will be in Van for two days pre cruise and I have that time figured out but was at a loss for post cruise. You may have company on the shuttle.

While I will never pass up on the opportunity to extol the virtues of Vancouver - which in my opinion is THE most scenic city in the world:) - wouldn't this thread be better on the West Coast Departures board? There's tons of Vancouver info over there.

Ideas....

• Day 1: 2:30pm arrival means you will be free at 4pm to start your Vancouver experience. If you share your hotel location, we can target our responses for your neighborhood? Pan-Pacific
  • Day 2: Fishing? Where are you fishing? What time does it start and end? If it starts early.... you can still do things in the evening. Should be done around 4. Start and end at Glanville Island
  • What is your sailing date? June travellers can enjoy sunlight well past 9pm....Sept 17
  • Day 3: This is your full day to tour the city. Focus on Capilano and Grouse. Others will spend the day on the hop on tours.
  • Food wise..... Vancouver is a destination port for dining. Lots to choose from and the multi-cultural environment means you can eat the world by walking around some blocks. With a strong Asian influence in the city... many seek out a "Dim Sum" experience for brunch. Best described as an Oriental high tea where you can sample various kinds of food....have always wanted to try true Dim Sum, thank you !!
  • Gelato? Bellas is award winning. La Casa offers 218 flavours
  • Mink has a great chocolate bar a few blocks from the cruise terminal
  • do consider changing your flights for additional days in Vancouver, as well as surrounding areas......wish we could!

[YOUTUBE]ky8bouLbbB8[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]AhuNhqaABmg[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]ZLL6du--lQA[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]vIvtsz1b60Q[/YOUTUBE]

Thanks for all your help!

On a previous visit we did the Grouse Mountain/Capilano tours but it was early in the season and too foggy to see anything! Will try again this year.

I can recommend Mink--the chocolates are good (and expensive) but the chocolate drinks are out of this world rich and delicious!

We also recommend a Vancouver Food Tour--walking tour of great good trucks. Exercise and food!:)

I've looked at that tour, sounds great ....thank you !

I highly recommend a week in Vancouver and the Gulf Islands. It was our home for 20 years. We were so fortunate to have the opportunity to live on the west coast.

The US dollar will go a long way in British Columbia this year. Take full advantage of it.

Tour Vancouver, ferry to Vancouver Island, and perhaps the Gulf Islands. Then ferry to the Washington state Gulf Islands and home through Seattle! Gotta love Washington State!

Edited by iancal

Skiing is great right now, and night skiing on Grouse Mountain is spectacular under the lights, the views of Vancouver are unobstructed and unrivalled (except for some pesky fog banks lower down). Well worth visiting, and lots to do for sure.

The Museum of Anthropology on the UBC campus is a must see in Vancouver in our opinion,along with a walk in Stanley Park a perfect day.

I absolutely agree! If you are at all interested in West Coast aboriginal culture - do NOT miss the Museum of Anthropology at UBC. The magnificent totem poles beautifully displayed are worth it alone and the other objects are unique and fascinating AND the setting and UBC campus are lovely. If you have the time while at the UBC campus do the Arboretum and the Nitobe Gardens also. And in Downtown Vancouver, Stanley Park is wonderful. Vancouver is totally worth taking a few extra days.

I haven't mentioned the Museum of Anthropology as it can take over 2 hours round trip to get to the remote location by public transit. If you don't take the C20 shuttle, you need to add a 15 minute hike from the transit loop to the Museum. Double that hike for a return trip.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Canada+Place,+Vancouver,+BC/Museum+of+Anthropology,+Northwest+Marine+Drive,+Vancouver,+BC/@49.2617666,-123.2209228,13z/data=!3m2!4b1!5s0x548672b3d256d6b3:0x75c952bba307ffd2!4m18!4m17!1m5!1m1!1s0x5486719d24e2e021:0xb7057fe085c86109!2m2!1d-123.1111209!2d49.2888248!1m5!1m1!1s0x548672b3db30ffad:0xf6711cf4e0ad84e3!2m2!1d-123.25885!2d49.269436!2m3!6e0!7e2!8j1451822400!3e3

The MOA is best for visitors on multi-day stays. If you have a full day to spare after the other attractions. It's worth a visit. If you can... plan a visit Tuesday evenings after 5pm.... there's an admission discount...

http://moa.ubc.ca/visit/

You've been given lots of great information.

Living in Vancouver my whole life I highly recommend going up to Grouse Mountain (if it's clear). It has a spectacular view of the City; wolves; birds of prey show; lumberjack show; zipline; and of course the two bears, Grinder & Coola. I've been up both in summer and winter (just before the bears went in to hibernation) and I love it.

There is more to see and do up Grouse Mountain and I hope if you go you also love it. You could spend a whole day just up the mountain:)

You've been given lots of great information.

Living in Vancouver my whole life I highly recommend going up to Grouse Mountain (if it's clear). It has a spectacular view of the City; wolves; birds of prey show; lumberjack show; zipline; and of course the two bears, Grinder & Coola. I've been up both in summer and winter (just before the bears went in to hibernation) and I love it.

There is more to see and do up Grouse Mountain and I hope if you go you also love it. You could spend a whole day just up the mountain:)

Thanks for the great tip! Been up there once; had an awesome time!