Favorite St Thomas Beach and Why

LuCruise

We're thinking of going to Coki beach. It looks beautiful and I like the fact that Coral World is next door. But am also still thinking of Magens Bay since it also looks beautiful and we don't have to worry about our kids avoiding the water with fish swimming there.

What is your favorite beach in St Thomas and why?

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

Magen's Bay is my families happy place. When my son was younger, it was great beach for him to play in the water and sand without worrying about the waves or current. Of course his parents love the beauty. Chairs to rent and plenty of natural shade. If you plan on snorkeling, probably not the best choice. Clean restrooms and showers to remove the salt water at the end of the day. If you are coming from a cruise on your own, there are always taxis waiting.

Thanks for the replies. I've heard Sapphire is lovely. Don't think we'll go there as I've heard the waves can be rough (and we're coming with kids)...but not sure how rough is rough.

Up in the air now between Magens and Coki. Good to hear Magens is a nice family friendly beach and of course, people say it's beautiful. We are not snorkelers which is why I'm wondering maybe we shouldn't go Coki (only real draw is having Coral World next door...but there is a huge aquarium in our home city so probably won't seem too impressive anyways). But we want at least small waves. univonville, sounds like you have some precious memories there.

Edited by LuCruise

Magens is a good choice as long as you know it will be the most crowded beach. We like Sapphire for the natural beauty and less people, plus the island views and better food you don't get at Magens. Sapphire can be rougher than Magens, that is true.

But for a family-friendly beach with calm water, rental options, and the best food option I'd suggest Secret Harbor. It's a small, well-protected bay home to the Secret Harbour condo property and a great beach restaurant. Just a much nicer experience than Coki or Magens IMHO.

Just a thought!

Edited by blue_water

Our favorite STT beach is a tie between Lindqvist and Hull Bay - Lindqvist is arguably the most gorgeous beach on the island, while Hull Bay is a nice quiet beach when ships are in port. But with kids and wanting amenities and calm water you'll want to choose between Magens, Coki, Sapphire, SH, and Lindbergh Bay. The latter is close if docked in Crown Bay, from Havensight the east end beaches are not much further from port.

Magens is a good choice as long as you know it will be the most crowded beach. We like Sapphire for the natural beauty and less people, plus the island views and better food you don't get at Magens. Sapphire can be rougher than Magens, that is true.

But for a family-friendly beach with calm water, rental options, and the best food option I'd suggest Secret Harbor. It's a small, well-protected bay home to the Secret Harbour condo property and a great beach restaurant. Just a much nicer experience than Coki or Magens IMHO.

Just a thought!

How rough is rough at Sapphire? We don't mind small light waves at the beach (and actually don't want a pool like ocean). But if it's dangerous for kids, then we would cross Sapphire off the list. And is it rocky? I'm looking at pictures on tripadvisor and areas looks rocky with seaweed.

Also, are there washrooms available?

Edited by LuCruise

Our favorite is Sapphire Beach, because it's beautiful, has super snorkeling, and shade trees. Magen's is lovely, but doesn't offer the snorkeling. Haven't been to Coki, because we always want to return to Sapphire!

Is there food and rentals at Sapphire now? For a while there wasn't.

We're thinking of going to Coki beach. It looks beautiful and I like the fact that Coral World is next door. But am also still thinking of Magens Bay since it also looks beautiful and we don't have to worry about our kids avoiding the water with fish swimming there.

What is your favorite beach in St Thomas and why?

We went to Coki Beach on a cruise stop many years ago on our own. We went there because there was a scuba place that did a Discover Scuba class at Coki Beach. Maybe someone has a more current visit, but here is my assessment of the area/beach/water. The road is relatively close to Coki/Coral World. It gets quite congested at times. Taxis will just stop in the middle of the road to pick-up/drop off passengers. To me, the beach itself wasn't that big. It wasn't a deep beach and it was pretty crowded. The water was so sparkling clear with good sea life. My children and I did the Discover Scuba just fine. I saw a sting ray sitting on the bottom about 45 feet down. My husband didn't take too well to scuba, so he just snorkeled. The scuba instructor had a rope with a float on the end so my husband knew where we were at all times and he could see us clearly from the surface, even though we were 20-40 feet down. There were a few big rocks/boulders on one side of the beach, but there was enough open space you could avoid that area. Pretty calm water, too.

A few years after we went on the cruise, I read where a cruise passenger was shot and killed right there at Coki Beach. It seems there was a gang war and they were shooting at each other and the cruise passenger just happened to get hit. He wasn't specifically targeted. When I read that I thought, well, that area was ripe for that type of thing.

FishPunkin, thanks for the feedback. Just when I think I've decided I get confused again. Every picture I see posted of Coki looks so beautiful. DH even said he'd like to see the fish (and his attitude is 'well kids will just have to get used to them). The kind of waves seem perfect too i.e.not rough but something to make it a bit more fun than a swimming pool.

But that comment about the crime worries me.

Edited by LuCruise

Since that unfortunate incident, they increased the security at Coki and there is now visible security every day. The atmosphere has changed a bit since then, but there is still loud music most of the time.

Edited by Ms411

Our favorite STT beach is a tie between Lindqvist and Hull Bay - Lindqvist is arguably the most gorgeous beach on the island, while Hull Bay is a nice quiet beach when ships are in port. But with kids and wanting amenities and calm water you'll want to choose between Magens, Coki, Sapphire, SH, and Lindbergh Bay. The latter is close if docked in Crown Bay, from Havensight the east end beaches are not much further from port.

Is there places to get food at Lindqvist Beach?

Since that unfortunate incident, they increased the security at Coki and there is now visible security every day. The atmosphere has changed a bit since then, but there is still loud music most of the time.

Thank you. That makes me feel better.

Loud music us fine. We're coming with kids and will be in the water or playing in the sand. It's not a sleeping relaxing in the chair kind of day.

Coki is perfect for a more lively vibe with several vendors wanting to take care of you. The neighborhood on the road there is what some folks have a problem with. But it really is a gorgeous beach and water.

SH would be more the relaxing kinda day with better food and no vendors.

Enjoy Coki!

Coki is perfect for a more lively vibe with several vendors wanting to take care of you. The neighborhood on the road there is what some folks have a problem with. But it really is a gorgeous beach and water.

SH would be more the relaxing kinda day with better food and no vendors.

Enjoy Coki!

Thanks blue_water. You're always very helpful in St Thomas advice.

I know that in an earlier post you also suggested Secret Harbor. I'm looking at pictures and to be honest, it doesn't seem as 'wow' beautiful as Coki or Magens (if we're coming to St Thomas, we may as well go to one of the wow beaches). Is it good for little ones? (e.g. no sudden drops in the water). From pictures, the waves look good and thus, not rough, and more along the lines of Magens.

A few concerns though with Secret Harbor

• I'm reading another poster's review and they said the drive to it was horrible with may hills and corners. My DS gets car sick easily so that would worry me.
  • In my St Thomas book, it warns that you need to make arrangements for a taxi for your return (and be prepared to wait). I don't want to have to worry about getting back to the ship in time, or to have to decide beforehand when we would return.

Do you know the cost of a taxi from Crown Bay?

And actually, when I look at the map, Coki Beach seems like the furthest beach from Crown Bay.

Edited by LuCruise

Bring your own food to Lindquist/Smith Bay Beach.

Sapphire and Magens are the longest, least crowded beaches.

If your children are frightened of fish, Coral World would be an excellent way for them to see some and learn about sea creatures of all kinds. When they get finished, maybe they'll want to peek in the water at Coki...

Bring your own food to Lindquist/Smith Bay Beach.

Sapphire and Magens are the longest, least crowded beaches.

If your children are frightened of fish, Coral World would be an excellent way for them to see some and learn about sea creatures of all kinds. When they get finished, maybe they'll want to peek in the water at Coki...

Thanks for the comments. I thought I've heard that Magens (along with Coki) are one of the busiest beaches. But Magens is long so at least the crowd spreads out.

As for our kids being scared of fish...we have a huge Ripley's Aquarium near us, so they are good with them in that type of environment. It's more in terms of swimming with them. ;) Also, we'll probably do Coki first. Coral World is a second option if we find we've had enough beach time but still want to do something in St Thomas before heading back to the ship.

Still going back and forth between Coki and Magens... :rolleyes:

Edited by LuCruise

Thanks blue_water. You're always very helpful in St Thomas advice.

I know that in an earlier post you also suggested Secret Harbor. I'm looking at pictures and to be honest, it doesn't seem as 'wow' beautiful as Coki or Magens (if we're coming to St Thomas, we may as well go to one of the wow beaches). Is it good for little ones? (e.g. no sudden drops in the water). From pictures, the waves look good and thus, not rough, and more along the lines of Magens.

A few concerns though with Secret Harbor

• I'm reading another poster's review and they said the drive to it was horrible with may hills and corners. My DS gets car sick easily so that would worry me.
  • In my St Thomas book, it warns that you need to make arrangements for a taxi for your return (and be prepared to wait). I don't want to have to worry about getting back to the ship in time, or to have to decide beforehand when we would return.

Do you know the cost of a taxi from Crown Bay?

And actually, when I look at the map, Coki Beach seems like the furthest beach from Crown Bay.

Yes I had recommended SH as an alternative to Coki - still good snorkeling, but a much more protected bay and a real restaurant on the beach. The drive to Secret Harbor is no more hilly than to Coki.

If you go to SH you would coordinate with the driver to return, they do not leave folks hanging. You will see taxis coming and going as well. SH is one of the popular beaches that taxis stop into.

Taxi from Crown to the East End beaches is $11 - 12pp each way.

The distance depends on the route taken, there are a couple.

Thanks for the comments. I thought I've heard that Magens (along with Coki) are one of the busiest beaches. But Magens is long so at least the crowd spreads out.

As for our kids being scared of fish...we have a huge Ripley's Aquarium near us, so they are good with them in that type of environment. It's more in terms of swimming with them. ;) Also, we'll probably do Coki first. Coral World is a second option if we find we've had enough beach time but still want to do something in St Thomas before heading back to the ship.

Still going back and forth between Coki and Magens... :rolleyes:

Magens is the most crowded beach, you can walk to the west end and find less people but also no amenities. Also an entrance fee to be around that crowd. :rolleyes:

Hull bay is a larger bay like Magens but just one beach bar that opens at 10AM and a good chance you will see only land visitors there or others reading this thread)...But for a beach with rentals and amenities and snorkeling Coki, Sapphire, and SH are the best choices, and SH is the calmest and has a gradual entry.

Edited by blue_water

Is Lindqvist the same as Smith Bay Beach Park? If we take a taxi there on our own, do you have a suggestion on how to get back to the port? We won't have a cell phone with us. Thank you!

Magens is the most crowded beach, you can walk to the west end and find less people but also no amenities. Also an entrance fee to be around that crowd. :rolleyes:

Hull bay is a larger bay like Magens but just one beach bar that opens at 10AM and a good chance you will see only land visitors there or others reading this thread)...But for a beach with rentals and amenities and snorkeling Coki, Sapphire, and SH are the best choices, and SH is the calmest and has a gradual entry.

Thanks blue_water. Still think it's between Coki and Magens. We know both will be busy.

Coki - place looks beautiful with crystal clear water and beautiful blue...and advantage of having Coral World next door. And the waves seem not rough but slightly more than Magens (which would be fun for our DS but still seems safe for our younger one)..and no entry fee.

Magens - known for its beauty. Advantage is longer beach (but as you mention, less amenities if you go further). And we don't need to worry about our kids being scared or iffy going in the water as its not snorkelling waters. From the map, I assume it's closer to Crown bay than Coki?

In terms of the water...do they both have gradual entry and soft sand (i.e no sudden drops in the sand)?