Spa-La-La-La - Advice

BayouGirlUSA

Hello CCers! Happy New Year

I haven't sailed Princess since 2011 and will be taking a girls cruise (3 of us in a BB cabin) and I'm looking for some insight/advice for the Lotus Spa. One of our ports is Princess Cay and I'm thinking this will be the perfect time for the 3 of us to enjoy some spa services. I know there is some sort of Thermal Suite I've been reading about but I'm not getting a clear picture of what this is.

If we all book spa services on that port day, does the thermal suite come as lagniappe with the servces? We are looking at booking at least 2 services and I was thinking it would be nice if we could hang around the thermal suite. When is a nice time to go to the spa? I don't want to get up with the chickens to go to the spa.

I would really appreciate it if you could give me some advice and/or tips about the Lotus Spa and how the 3 of us can enjoy our services and take full advantage of what the spa has to offer free or pay wise. ALL information is welcome so I can decide how to proceed with our day of sheer indulgence! I'm gathering this info so I may share with the other 2 ladies.

3...2...1....GO!!!

Thanks,

BayouGirl (Melanie)

Edited by BayouGirlUSA

OK, spa on the ship is about double the price of a similar spa at home. My first suggestion would be to do a "girl's day" before the cruise.

The thermal suite goes by different names on other lines, but all are basically the same. There are some heated lounge chairs and steam rooms with various scents and intensities of steam. There are some "specialty showers" if they are working. Unless your spa "treatment" specifies that it includes time in the thermal suite, it does not. You can buy time in the suite by the day or for the length of the cruise.

There is a different waiting area where you are welcome to hang out before or after you spa "treatment." This is chairs and couches with some fruit and water available. There is also the locker room which contains a free sauna and steam room.

There is NOTHING free at the spa unless you count the locker room. This serves for the fitness center as well as the spa. The fitness center has no charge unless you book personal training or a class with a cost (many classes are free).

Oh, be prepared--they will add an 18% gratuity to any spa service which you technically can remove or reduce...and then they will point out the line for the "additional" gratuity. I don't have a problem with 18% on a "hands on" service, but that's ridiculous for sitting in heated chairs where someone replaces the towels periodically. They will also hit you with a sales pitch. Umm....no way I would pay $195 for bath salts and no way I believe it will magically do all the things they say it will.

Edited by moki'smommy

OK... I am a TS kind of girl and here is the answer...

It depends on the ship.

So here is my best guestimate of your question: Is the TS included with a spa service or services:

On the Royal- no. You have to have a special wristband to enter the Enclave.

On the Coral- yes. It is pretty much open access from the treatment waiting area.

On the Grand class ships- the entrance was kind of wonky and you had to pay for access. On one of the ships (maybe the Ruby, the TS was actually under the spa, and access was very limited).

My thought is, if you are staying on the ship, you may be able to sweet talk your way into a deal with the spa folk, as it should be pretty quiet.

Aslo, bear in mind, the spa and TS are not operated by Princess. They are contracted through Steiner, so the overall atmosphere and customer service can range from ship to ship.

What ship are you on?

Edited by TracieABD

Just a few points.

There are normally price reductions for Spa services on port days, ask after boarding.

If you want a 'regular' massage they will try to hard sell you some special expensive massage.

Princess Cays is a nice beach. I have seen some chair seated back and neck massages being performed on the beach. A girls day might be nice just on the beach.

What is the price of the Thermal Suite? We will also be on Caribbean Princess this spring.

On the Caribbean Princess in November it was $20 per day or $139 for a "length of cruise" 7 night pass. They also sell couples passes which are at a discount (a couple is any 2 people).

They give a little speech on the first day about how they only sell so many passes and when they are gone, too bad....I've heard this speech on every ship, every line (they all use Steiner). I've never had my money refused when I wanted to use the "thermal suite," "rainforest," "Persian garden." They are different names on different lines, but all the same thing. On SOME cruises. I've seen them sell 3,4, or 5 day passes on 7 night cruises if they weren't selling enough "length of cruise" passes. These tend to be a better value as you can choose your days for use. If you miss one day on a "length of cruise" pass, you've wasted money.

Hello CCers! Happy New Year

I haven't sailed Princess since 2011 and will be taking a girls cruise (3 of us in a BB cabin) and I'm looking for some insight/advice for the Lotus Spa. One of our ports is Princess Cay and I'm thinking this will be the perfect time for the 3 of us to enjoy some spa services. I know there is some sort of Thermal Suite I've been reading about but I'm not getting a clear picture of what this is.

If we all book spa services on that port day, does the thermal suite come as lagniappe with the servces? We are looking at booking at least 2 services and I was thinking it would be nice if we could hang around the thermal suite. When is a nice time to go to the spa? I don't want to get up with the chickens to go to the spa.

I would really appreciate it if you could give me some advice and/or tips about the Lotus Spa and how the 3 of us can enjoy our services and take full advantage of what the spa has to offer free or pay wise. ALL information is welcome so I can decide how to proceed with our day of sheer indulgence! I'm gathering this info so I may share with the other 2 ladies.

3...2...1....GO!!!

Thanks,

BayouGirl (Melanie)

Hi Melanie,

I happen to love getting a massage on a cruise ship, yes they are more expensive than the discount spas that want you to take a membership. But we were just on the Caribbean Princess for 2 weeks and my therapist was Sarah from Ireland and she was amazing. I had a 1.5 hr. massage and it was worth every minute and every dollar that was charged. The added gratuity was 15% NOT 18% and I gave her more in cash.

You are going on vacation and if you can budget to pamper yourself then you should absolutely do it!

Please schedule Sarah from Ireland if you want an amazing massage.

We will be on the Regal next month and I'll be booking my services and if my back is bad, the thermal suite for all port days.

Hi Melanie,

I happen to love getting a massage on a cruise ship, yes they are more expensive than the discount spas that want you to take a membership. But we were just on the Caribbean Princess for 2 weeks and my therapist was Sarah from Ireland and she was amazing. I had a 1.5 hr. massage and it was worth every minute and every dollar that was charged. The added gratuity was 15% NOT 18% and I gave her more in cash.

I've never been to a "discount spa where they want you to take a membership." Yes, I've gotten their ads in the mail and tossed them. I live in a medium sized city where there are 2 "day spas" that I'm aware of which are in many ways similar to those on the ship...other than perhaps the ones on land being larger. Yes, each has a few unique services. And they still cost about half of what the same service does on the ship.

For years, I did a spa day in preparation for a cruise--mani/pedi/massage or whatever. It was a nice pre-vacation treat.

I'm not saying to NOT do it on the ship. I've just always found more interesting ways to spend my limited time on board....again, personal decision.

I pulled my receipt to check--December 2015, Caribbean Princess the auto gratuity in the spa was 18%. Perhaps it has increased since above poster's cruise. Bar gratuities were 15% Yes, because I have not finished dealing with the insurance company due to our lost day, I do have all the receipts.