Joining AARP

casofilia

We joined AARP and added it to our already-booked cruise that was happening in 6 months. There doesn't appear to be any 9 month requirement.

I joined AARP almost exactly one year ago.

In booking Escape greater than nine months out, was able to apply AARP for discount and combine with Free 3rd-8th promo and free UBP for guests 1 and 2.

In booking Sky eight months out, could not use AARP discount.

These were both before the $100 bonus on AARP. When I tried to get that one with the Escape, the price had moved enough that I'd have been repriced and the $100 OBC was less than the repricing, so didn't bother.

Now when I looked a week or so ago for the choose 2 promos I could have the AARP rate OR the choice promos, but not both.

So the program seems to alternate and vary a bit. The best I can say is for anyone to check their particular sailing and see how they make out.

For me it was well worth it to join AARP. The NCL discount alone was bigger than the cost of a 3 year membership and I've saved tons at other businesses as well. They made my wife a member as well. We are in our 30's. Some of the ads in the back of the AARP magazine are quite interesting. :eek:

I joined AARP almost exactly one year ago.

In booking Escape greater than nine months out, was able to apply AARP for discount and combine with Free 3rd-8th promo and free UBP for guests 1 and 2.

In booking Sky eight months out, could not use AARP discount.

These were both before the $100 bonus on AARP. When I tried to get that one with the Escape, the price had moved enough that I'd have been repriced and the $100 OBC was less than the repricing, so didn't bother.

Now when I looked a week or so ago for the choose 2 promos I could have the AARP rate OR the choice promos, but not both.

So the program seems to alternate and vary a bit. The best I can say is for anyone to check their particular sailing and see how they make out.

For me it was well worth it to join AARP. The NCL discount alone was bigger than the cost of a 3 year membership and I've saved tons at other businesses as well. They made my wife a member as well. We are in our 30's. Some of the ads in the back of the AARP magazine are quite interesting. :eek:

I agree it definitely is great to have! We are also in our 30s and, CARP membership in our case, was free with our cell phone plan. I didn't actually know there was a promotion until I called in to book with NCL and the rep asked if we had an AARP/CARP membership.

We didn't book 9 months out so we didn't get the 5%, but when we booked, we were able to get the $100 AARP/CARP onboard credit plus there was a $100 holiday dash OBC, the UBP, and free 3rd - 8th guest.

Regardless of age, it is definitely worthwhile...I actually had to call in to the membership desk to get my CARP membership number. When it was included free with our cell phone plan, I never thought I'd use it, but it turned out to be very worthwhile (after searching around I did finally locate my card)! Someone else sailing with us in another cabin bought one as well so they could get the OBC.

We are aarp members (joint members with my husbands grandmother) but we are in our 30s. We booked the aarp rate back in february for our january 12 cruise. Do we need to bring out aarp card to port?

I asked and was told to bring it just in case so I did, but no one ever mentioned it or asked to see it.

You're all lucky; whenever I try to join using either my NZ or my Canada address it won't let me as the form on the website doesn't give membership fees for outside the USA!!! :mad:

If anyone can get me a form with the fees for NZ and/or Canada I would be grateful. :cool:

Please email a scan of it to casofilia at xtra dot co dot nz

Thanks

Mike

You're all lucky; whenever I try to join using either my NZ or my Canada address it won't let me as the form on the website doesn't give membership fees for outside the USA!!! :mad:

If anyone can get me a form with the fees for NZ and/or Canada I would be grateful. :cool:

Please email a scan of it to casofilia at xtra dot co dot nz

Thanks

Mike

Why not CARP?

If you do travel a lot you may also benefit from other AARP discounts on hotels and car rentals. http://www.AARP.org/travel is a booking website for members and I have found some good deals on hotels even in foreign countries so you may find additional discounts as benefits.

I know when I tried to book a short, last minute NCL cruise on their website lately I had to choose between AARP discount or Latitudes discount or a promo. I could not combine them. However, I just booked a longer 2017 cruise through my TA last week and was able to get both the AARP discount and the free promo packages as well. So there must some variables in NCL bookings.

I use their travel web site all the time for booking hotels. It's my go-to booking site. Many of my bookings were with free cancellation up to 24 hours before arrival. I always compare the rate to other travel and the hotel's web sites, and AARP's travel site's rate is almost always the best.

I could not get the AARP discount with the NCL cruise I booked recently, because I was getting the double perk of shore excursions and dining. When price checking on NCL's web site the booking tool will show you the AARP price along with the price for inclusive perks, so you can choose which one you want.

I could not get the AARP discount with the NCL cruise I booked recently, because I was getting the double perk of shore excursions and dining. When price checking on NCL's web site the booking tool will show you the AARP price along with the price for inclusive perks, so you can choose which one you want.

That's what I saw on the site too; that you had to select the AARP rate OR the perks, but not combine both.

This week in an AARP thread someone said you just have to call up NCL or your agent and they can apply the AARP discount with the perks.

That's what I saw on the site too; that you had to select the AARP rate OR the perks, but not combine both.

This week in an AARP thread someone said you just have to call up NCL or your agent and they can apply the AARP discount with the perks.

Thank you for mentioning this! I will call and ask about it.

****************************************************************************************

Well, it's not a lot, but I got an additional $81 off the cruise price. Thanks again!

Edited by pcur