Star Princess Mini Suites

cruisebie

I am looking for some advice about mini-suites on the Star Princess. We are looking at booking a northbound Alaska cruise for August. Am I correct in thinking the mini suites on the Dolphin deck have uncovered balconies and the ones on Emerald are covered? I would really like to book a mini with a covered balcony, but noticed that these are all located directly over the Vista Lounge. Can anyone who has stayed in one of the Emerald Deck minis comment concerning possible noise issues? Are there many activities held there in the evenings?

Thanks for any help you can give. My first cruise (you know--the one that got me hooked!) was on the Island Princess southbound Alaska cruise. That was several years ago, so I've got a lot of catching up to do on all things Princess.

I am looking for some advice about mini-suites on the Star Princess. We are looking at booking a northbound Alaska cruise for August. Am I correct in thinking the mini suites on the Dolphin deck have uncovered balconies and the ones on Emerald are covered? I would really like to book a mini with a covered balcony, but noticed that these are all located directly over the Vista Lounge. Can anyone who has stayed in one of the Emerald Deck minis comment concerning possible noise issues? Are there many activities held there in the evenings?

Thanks for any help you can give. My first cruise (you know--the one that got me hooked!) was on the Island Princess southbound Alaska cruise. That was several years ago, so I've got a lot of catching up to do on all things Princess.

You are correct, Dolphin uncovered Emerald covered. We have stayed in the last 2 or 3 minis on both sides of Emerald several times. We never had any issues with noise. Its one of the main venues for activities.

If you can book one you better grab it and mark it no upgrade or you may end up on Dolphin deck anyway.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

You are correct, Dolphin uncovered Emerald covered. We have stayed in the last 2 or 3 minis on both sides of Emerald several times. We never had any issues with noise. Its one of the main venues for activities.

If you can book one you better grab it and mark it no upgrade or you may end up on Dolphin deck anyway.

Thanks, Colo Cruiser! I usually like aft cabins since there is a lot less "traffic" in the hallways. Since there are no noise issues it sounds like this is the place for me. Thanks for the tip about marking as no upgrade, I didn't know they would do that. I'm never chosen for an upgrade. It would be just my luck to get one when I don't want one. 😁

It seems that I recall the concern with sound coming from the Vista lounge is more of an issue on the port side because that's the side the stage is on. Several years ago we had a starboard side Emerald deck mini on the Star, and had no noise problems.

It seems that I recall the concern with sound coming from the Vista lounge is more of an issue on the port side because that's the side the stage is on. Several years ago we had a starboard side Emerald deck mini on the Star, and had no noise problems.

We had E728, port side cabin on the Star a couple of years ago. It is right over the stage. You could definitely hear what was going on. If you want to go to bed early or take afternoon naps you may want to avoid this cabin. (It did have a great supersized balcony however :cool:).

How do the balconies compare to the Caribe Deck balconies for size? I am booked on an upcoming cruise and my TA seems to think that there is a good chance I may be offered an upgrade and want to be prepared with as much knowledge as possible.

How do the balconies compare to the Caribe Deck balconies for size? I am booked on an upcoming cruise and my TA seems to think that there is a good chance I may be offered an upgrade and want to be prepared with as much knowledge as possible.

Pretty close to the same in size. Dolphin deck balconies, not covered (at all), Emerald deck balconies, completely covered, Caribe deck balconies 1/2 covered, 1/2 uncovered.

Pretty close to the same in size. Dolphin deck balconies, not covered (at all), Emerald deck balconies, completely covered, Caribe deck balconies 1/2 covered, 1/2 uncovered.

BTW, we have had both an E deck mini and a C deck regular balcony. Liked them both. Depending on where we were going we would be happy with either one.

Here's a picture of the E729 balcony. E728 and E729 have this larger balcony. The other Emerald mini balconies will be the normal size. If it were me, I'd pick the Starboard side. I had as aft cabin on this ship and E729 was my neighbor's cabin. Late in the evening, I could barely hear some bass. On the Grand Princess, we were on the Port side and had substantially more sound.

DSCN1452.jpg.929f3fd9624d41dc6da5a601cb5e69ad.jpg

Here's a picture of the E729 balcony. E728 and E729 have this larger balcony. The other Emerald mini balconies will be the normal size. If it were me, I'd pick the Starboard side. I had as aft cabin on this ship and E729 was my neighbor's cabin. Late in the evening, I could barely hear some bass. On the Grand Princess, we were on the Port side and had substantially more sound.

My point exactly. See post 6 on this thread. Couldn't agree more about those Port cabins that are so close to being over the stage.

Edited by ar1950

We had a port side mini suite on the Emerald deck only once. The morning Zoomba class woke us up every day with the music coming through the floor. If I had a choice I'd go with the starboard side to that reason. However, if my only choices were between a port side and the Dolphin deck.... I'll bring ear plugs. Emerald deck every time. Have a great trip.

We have booked E 718 the most forward port side Emerald deck mini for our next southbound Alaska trip. Folks who have had that cabin say that there are noise problems. It will allow us great views on Glacier Bay day without leaving our cabin. Typically we book the most aft mini on the starboard side and have no noise issues.

We have booked E 718 the most forward port side Emerald deck mini for our next southbound Alaska trip. Folks who have had that cabin say that there are noise problems. It will allow us great views on Glacier Bay day without leaving our cabin. Typically we book the most aft mini on the starboard side and have no noise issues.

Gosh I meant no noise issues in E718...

Thank you all for your replies. Sounds like starboard side is the way to go, so I just booked E719, which is the 1st mini on the starboard side. Does anyone know if there will be a partition on the left side of the balcony (the life boat side) or if this is completely open?

Thank you all for your replies. Sounds like starboard side is the way to go, so I just booked E719, which is the 1st mini on the starboard side. Does anyone know if there will be a partition on the left side of the balcony (the life boat side) or if this is completely open?

No there is a partition. It would be really windy if there wasn't.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Here are pictures on E718 on the Grand Princess. One is a view of the balcony from the outside and the other is the view looking forward from the balcony. Yes, there is a partition. I hope this helps.

DSCN3637.jpg.a37669bb85ed0c7477c62ae1ddfbd438.jpg

DSCN3528.jpg.abce4a784b2c737c6716671092d50b90.jpg

Edited by KruzPrincess

We had a port side mini suite on the Emerald deck only once. The morning Zoomba class woke us up every day with the music coming through the floor. If I had a choice I'd go with the starboard side to that reason. However, if my only choices were between a port side and the Dolphin deck.... I'll bring ear plugs. Emerald deck every time. Have a great trip.

I was on the starboard side on the Star, but I had E718 on the Grand Princess for a Hawaii cruise. It was the worst Princess cabin I've had. I say that without reservation. I don't know if the same problems are on the other ships, though. My friends had E728 and they said they heard some noise, but it wasn't like my cabin. On the Grand, apparently there is a speaker on the ceiling which is right under the floor of that cabin. At 9am every morning I could hear "kick, kick, kick" yelled in my bathroom from Zumba classes. As long as they were playing music in the Vista lounge I had vibration in all my furniture and could hear it. Most nights they left the recorded music play in the Vista Lounge all night. Once I got to Hawaii I went out and bought ear plugs. Also, the cabin itself was in bad shape. This was two years ago. I have to add that I had a port side Emerald deck mini on other ships (Sapphire, Ruby) and had no issues. It was the Grand that was bad for me.

I was on the starboard side on the Star, but I had E718 on the Grand Princess for a Hawaii cruise. It was the worst Princess cabin I've had. I say that without reservation. I don't know if the same problems are on the other ships, though. My friends had E728 and they said they heard some noise, but it wasn't like my cabin. On the Grand, apparently there is a speaker on the ceiling which is right under the floor of that cabin. At 9am every morning I could hear "kick, kick, kick" yelled in my bathroom from Zumba classes. As long as they were playing music in the Vista lounge I had vibration in all my furniture and could hear it. Most nights they left the recorded music play in the Vista Lounge all night. Once I got to Hawaii I went out and bought ear plugs. Also, the cabin itself was in bad shape. This was two years ago. I have to add that I had a port side Emerald deck mini on other ships (Sapphire, Ruby) and had no issues. It was the Grand that was bad for me.

Thanks --lets hope it is not that way on the Star! Yikes.

• 4 weeks later...