Where to stay in Denali WITHOUT a package?

skrapngal

I have looked and looked, but everything seems to be fully booked and it is only January!!!!

There are packages available, but booking transfers and lodging privately seems impossible. We were hoping for Denali Princess, but are open to other options.

We DO NOT want to rent a car.

It is definitely limiting but you need to find lodging options that have shuttles to the park entrance. Mainly that means in the busy "Glitter Gulch" area. Check out the Denali Chamber website. Which lodging options have you contacted that have said they are full? Good luck!

They're probably not booked ..... the smaller places are closed for the season and the owners are only checking messages sporadically when they return from Hawaii or Cabo . I recall that the cruise lodging is kinda held for their cruisetour folks over the winter before they open reservations to the public. Call their 800 number in Seattle to get info on when that will be.

On the Denali forum of tripadvisor there is a listing of lodging with shuttle service under Top Questions.

The Denali Salmon Bake has run a shuttle to the park for the past few years. Look at the stops and find lodging that's easily walkable. And there is a pricey taxi service at Denali ( info in the Chamber site)

Denali Chamber listing of lodging:

http://www.a1cms.com/_dcc/accommodations/

We stayed at a nice B&B up in Healy (Touch of Wilderness). But, you'd need a car. Frankly, I wouldn't be up there without one. Get away from Glitter Gulch. Come and go as you please. My $0.02.

I am considering this place. I looked at tripadvisor and noticed people complained about the paper thin walls and construction. Is that true?

Also - are the furnishing nice? Mattress comfortable (not sagging)? etc.

I had several places I was going to suggest until I saw you were not renting a car... As mentioned, you'll be limited to Glitter Gulch lodging.

The Princess lodge is closed for winter, so they may not be taking reservations yet.

I have looked and looked, but everything seems to be fully booked and it is only January!!!!

There are packages available, but booking transfers and lodging privately seems impossible. We were hoping for Denali Princess, but are open to other options.

We DO NOT want to rent a car.

When are you going? Our trip is early June and EVERYTHING I like is sold out. I started lookign about 2 weeks ago and am in shock. I thought I was being proactive and I am in reactive mode. :eek:

JEN70, Why don't you want to rent a car? It is a easy safe drive from Anchorage!

Hi Fran - I think you have me confused with the original poster. I am renting a car from Anchorage...and staying in Palmer/Wasilla before making our way up to Denali. :-)

Why don't you want a package? They can get you from Anchorage to Denali with transportation and lodging provided. Have you looked at the HAL/Princess owned graylinealaska.com? We used them a couple of years ago for a Kantishna trip with two nights in Kantishna and one at the McKinley Chalets, two nights in Anchorage. They arranged transportation to Denali on the park connection bus and back to Anchorage in the HAL narrated dome cars on the Alaska Railroad.

THe website shows a tour with two nights in Denali, two nights Anchorage and they will provide the transportation. This is a Princess/HAL tour so you would be at their hotels at the entrance to the park which is REALLY convenient if you do not have a car. AT the entrance (which people call glitter gulch) you will find free transportation to the visitor's center and a variety of good places to eat.

If you still want to diy you may have to call each lodge directly to check for availability. I think many hotels may show "sold out" because they are holding rooms for tours.

I am considering this place. I looked at tripadvisor and noticed people complained about the paper thin walls and construction. Is that true?

I haven't stayed there is a few years, but have stayed there at least 5 times in different rooms, and the beds were comfortable. I didn't notice any "noise" but that would also depend on other patrons. The owner- Barb- is a perfect host with a lovely property.

Okay... bingo!!! the Denali Chamber of Commerce website is a gold mine!!!

And no one wanted to drive the long trek, but hey!!! there is a rental car place in Denali... now that is another thing altogether...

Totally opens up the possibilities for lodging in Healy, which is much cheaper and likely more authentic.

Okay... bingo!!! the Denali Chamber of Commerce website is a gold mine!!!

And no one wanted to drive the long trek, but hey!!! there is a rental car place in Denali... now that is another thing altogether...

Totally opens up the possibilities for lodging in Healy, which is much cheaper and likely more authentic.

We have stayed in Healy several times in cabins. Much much better than close to Denali. Much better real restaurants there as opposed to the tourist traps at Denali. Check out the 49th State Brewing Company.

DON

I've found thin walls to be the case in every B&B we've stayed in, frankly.

Up at Touch of Wilderness, we had a room off to the side that was reasonably quiet (2nd floor, down the end of an outdoor walkway). I'm the type who needs drugs and earplugs to sleep whenever/wherever I travel; hubs sleeps through anything. I'm also not shy about politely asking neighbors to keep it down.

Room was furnished nicely; nothing spectacular. Bed was comfy. Bathroom smallish. Several large "public" rooms, including a large area for meals. There was a fridge with ice cream and snacks you could help yourself. Breakfast was as early as you wanted (seriously, we had it at 4:30 and the owner was up for us making it). You can also get a nice boxed lunch for around $10. Moose wandering through (the yard, not the room!)

Edited by azevedan

I've found thin walls to be the case in every B&B we've stayed in, frankly.

Up at Touch of Wilderness, we had a room off to the side that was reasonably quiet (2nd floor, down the end of an outdoor walkway). I'm the type who needs drugs and earplugs to sleep whenever/wherever I travel; hubs sleeps through anything. I'm also not shy about politely asking neighbors to keep it down.

Room was furnished nicely; nothing spectacular. Bed was comfy. Bathroom smallish. Several large "public" rooms, including a large area for meals. There was a fridge with ice cream and snacks you could help yourself. Breakfast was as early as you wanted (seriously, we had it at 4:30 and the owner was up for us making it). You can also get a nice boxed lunch for around $10. Moose wandering through (the yard, not the room!)

DH is the same way. He is out once his head hits the pillow. I take forever to fall asleep and easily awaken by sunlight, noise. Then once I am woken up, forget trying to get back to sleep!

For me, I just don't want to be in places with furnishing like Motel 6, etc. I do like luxury (or semi-luxury) accommodations. I have looked at Tonglen Lakes but the communication has been horrible. The responses are not answering my questions, but copy/paste a canned email for me to sift through.

For me, I just don't want to be in places with furnishing like Motel 6, etc. I do like luxury (or semi-luxury) accommodations.

The furnishings are nice.

Alaskan accommodations are more rustic than luxury pretty much everywhere. I don't see it as a luxury destination. Nature is the appeal.

The furnishings are nice.

Alaskan accommodations are more rustic than luxury pretty much everywhere. I don't see it as a luxury destination. Nature is the appeal.

Not looking for the likes of the Ritz, etc. We would like a cabin, but for some reason, those really thin comforters and fabric couches give me the creeps. I like thick comforters, wood floors. Just something about things hiding in carpets and old comforters.

I was able to rent cabins in palmers with wood floor and the pictures (and reviews all 5 stars) look good.

In Girdwood we are staying at the Aleyska Resort.

If I change our itinrary around, McKinley cabins looks nice and have availability.

Edited by jen70