Cozamel and Mayan ruins ? Any good tours?

bnuckols

This will be our first trip anywhere near the Mayan ruins. (February 1, Equinox)

The reviews of all the Celebrity offerings are discouraging. I understand that much of the day is necessarily travel and a self-guided tour is most likely impractical. However, I am concerned about the stories of seasick travelers on the ferries and the endless lectures to and fro, with time-wasting gift shops, more lectures, and a gratuitous beach stop.

Any recommended tours? Thanks in advance!

Take it from one who has been there. ALWAYS take the ship offered excursion to the Mayan ruins. We went to the Coba Ruins. It is an all day trip. When we took it, there were delays on the excursion and as we took the ferry back across the channel toward the ship, we watched all the other cruise ships pulling out. Our ship waited a half hour past it's departure time for us. Lots of people watching as we walked back to the ship. As soon as the last of us boarded, they pulled in the boardwalk and pulled the lines in. By the time we got back to our cabin, we were already 100 feet from the dock....

There can be rough water crossing on the ferry. Do NOT depend on the pressure bands and other gadgets to protect you from seasickness. Take your Bonine tablet the day before and the morning you leave. On our morning crossing, it was rough. As we boarded, they handed out little plastic baggies to everyone. By the time we got across, the garbage pails were filled with the 'full' baggies. A lot of people lost their breakfast. We felt fine since we took our Bonine. Also, find a seat on the top open deck of the ferry. You may be splashed and be a bit cold, but you will be less likely to get sick.

BTW, the lectures are how you LEARN about the ruins and life in Mexico....

It was a GREAT tour..... I was probably one of the reasons the excursion got delayed. I was one of the few who climbed the pyramid and it took longer than I thought it would. Everyone was waiting on the bus for us.... :rolleyes:

Yes. We rarely book ships tours but did book the trip to Tulum ruins and beach break with Celebrity in 2010 due to timing concerns and did enjoy it. Just be aware there is a lot of traveling. We were the last group back on the ship for departure and gangway went up as soon as we boarded.

Edited by Jade13

Same advice, BTW, for the Belize mayan ruins....take a ship tour. You will pay a little more, but you'll be re-united with your clothes and belongings on the ship at the end of the day....it's worth the extra $'s.

On our cruise in December, we opted for the San Gervasio tour offered by the ship, so as to avoid spending so much of the day in travel to/from other sites on the mainland. San Gervasio is nowhere near as grand as the mainland sites, but we enjoyed it and the stories presented to us.

The tour also included stops at El Mirador on the Caribbean side of the island, as well as the Mayan Cacao Company (super touristy, but what are you going to do?). We were back at the ship in time for lunch, and still had plenty of time to check out the shopping district before sailing. For us, these were plusses over the long travel times to Tulum or Chichen Itza. Those are sites we'll save for a mainland-specific trip or port-of-call one day.

As others have said, go through the ship for the tours.

As for the ferries, they can be rough. The trip between Cozumel and Playa del Carmen is just under an hour. It you have a weak stomach, you may wish to re-think the trip to the mainland. MOST of the time, the ride over can be a bit choppy, but not excessive. However, there are times when you feel like you're on an hour long rollercoaster ride.

So if the ferry is not for you, you may want to check to see if Celebrity offers a tour to the San Gervasio Mayan Archaeological Site. It's on Cozumel. It's nothing like Chichen Itza or Tulum, but still highly interesting if you love Mayan archaeology.

Agree with everyone above is going through the ship for tours as you will often return a bit late.

A BIG comment in that the ferries from Cozumel will operate in almost any weather. People use the ferries to commute to jobs. We did it is 15 foot seas with most passengers vomiting. Obviously a bit scary and extremely unpleasant. Arrived an hour late and had VERY LITTLE time on site. The time we did had was wonderful. On the return they brought wheelchairs for some to get to the ship.

If you look out and the seas appear to be rough to you go to the shore excursions desk and cancel - even that morning - as Celebrity agreed to do this after the experience our group had last year. Do not take no for an answer.

We used Tours Plaza on Cozumel last year for a private tour. (Found them on TripAdvisor.) We got to make our own tour and had a nice, clean, air conditioned minivan with a great English speaking driver / guide. We saw the "wild side" of the island, visited the artisanal chocolate factory, and had an outstanding lunch. My wife gets the credit for setting things up. We had an outstanding day at a pretty reasonable cost. I would never have thought Cozumel could be such a great stop. DW also made arrangements for a small sailboat snorkel charter in St. Thomas. It's pretty amazing what you can do if you are willing to spend a little time researching port activities.

Words of wisdom from the folks above who have actually done the ferry crossing and gone to Tulum or ChitzenNitza. Hubby and my son have done both tours. Their tour to Tulum had the added attraction of happening in pouring rain and an unusual chill.

While neither wishes to repeat the tours, they are very glad they bit the bullet and had the experience of seeing these spectacular ruins.

If you do take the tour, be aware that you very likely will be among the last or very last back on your ship. Once we were were on Allure, the bass player in the Jazz Club band went to Chitzen Nitzen. He told us things got really hairy because the tour bus broke down on the return and everyone had to wait for a replacement bus to show up.

When it was delayed, the stranded passengers were all crowded uncomfortably onto another tour bus. Allure's departure was delayed over half an hour waiting for these unfortunate folks. Even so, the bass player said he did not regret the long day and was glad he had taken the tour.

So, in short, decide your tolerance for a long, challenging day to see a historic site. The ferry isn't always rough, but often is.

I been to Belize and all I can say is WOW! nothing like the Lamanai River 45 minutes there and climbing to the top of the world.

For Cozumal We did the Ships shore excursion to on 12/2015 not the date shown on the ticket go figure an outdated ticket Lol that is Celebrity tours for you.

symnw5.jpg

1 hr 10 min at the Park GoPro camera's have a Fee of $3.00 to video record.

Isit worth the trip. all up to you and what you think you'll see no climbing a lot of walking if asked. especially if it is hot Water is $3.00 a quart. and well worth the purchase when it is Hot. any questions people here tend to know way more than me. Balize they already paved the walks ways to preserve. Cozumel is older than Balize... (SP)

Edited by gopro63

One other thing that I have not seen mentioned: I have no idea if Chichen Itza is available for you, but expect a VERY long travel time. 1 hour ferry ride, 2+ hour bus ride ONE WAY to get there. Even with all of that, it's so worth it as far as I am concerned.

I visited there when I was staying at one of the all inclusive resorts in Riviera Maya area. It's truly an awe inspiring experience.

If you go to Tulum, it's a 45 minute to an hour bus ride one way. The experience is not as grand as Chichen Itza, but it's inspiring nonetheless.

:)

Don't forget about Xcaret. Also take the ship tour since it saves you money and will get you back on the cruise.

Awesome Mayan ruins among a Disneyesqe resort.

We were there in 1977 before it was opened to the world. Just went back last month....unbelievable transformation. The development has captured the old and the new in an upscale way.

Don't do Chichen Itza from a cruise ship in Cozumel. You will have an 8+ hour day of travel with only 90 minutes at the ruins. It is a fabulous site, and needs much more time than that to enjoy. Seriously, do something else. Go to Chichen Itza when you can fly into Cancun and drive there, spend the night at a local hotel and spend a whole day at the ruins. Just my opinion... I have done it.