No Boarding Before 12:30pm on Dream?

Preacherman46

We have one not to board before 10:30. I guess it depends on what time you signed up to board.

This is from the email:

"Although guests may access the terminal at 10:30am, based on their window selection, boarding is scheduled to begin at approximately 12:30pm.

For more information on this new process, please visit us at www.carnival.com/onlinecheck-inselection."

I got the same Email and I signed up for a 10:00-10:30 checkin time. I also purchased FTTF.

The language of the email implies that even if I get there at 10:00AM, get the check-in things done, and get my cruise card, I will be sitting on my ass for 2 more hours before I am allowed to get on board.

Can we say Pissed Off Camper if this is true.

I got the same Email and I signed up for a 10:00-10:30 checkin time. I also purchased FTTF.

The language of the email implies that even if I get there at 10:00AM, get the check-in things done, and get my cruise card, I will be sitting on my ass for 2 more hours before I am allowed to get on board.

Not any different than before. Staggered checkin is a crowd control measure. Has nothing to do with onboard procedures.

Not any different than before. Staggered checkin is a crowd control measure. Has nothing to do with onboard procedures.

"Although guests may access the terminal at 10:30am, based on their window selection, boarding is scheduled to begin at approximately 12:30pm

There is an inherent conflict in the language used. If my "window selection" is 10:00AM I am being told that my boarding is not going to be allowed until 12:30PM.

One can only hope that CCL has miscommunicated their intentions.

Edited by untailored bostonian

With FTTF this does not apply. You may board when you get there.

Can't get on the ship until boarding starts, around 11:30-12:30 depending on port and ship. FTTF boards after Weddings/Diamonds/Platinums. If arriving after boarding starts, then it becomes front of line privileges.

FTTF can check in at any time.

Edited by SadieN

Classic misunderstanding between "check in" time and "boarding time".

Sign up for that early check in time and then sit until boarding time. Could be 10:30, could be 12:30, could be later. It all depends on the ship getting the all clear to open the boarding process.

More often than not its earlier rather than later but don't grump when there is any unexpected delay.

Classic misunderstanding between "check in" time and "boarding time".

Sign up for that early check in time and then sit until boarding time. Could be 10:30, could be 12:30, could be later. It all depends on the ship getting the all clear to open the boarding process.

More often than not its earlier rather than later but don't grump when there is any unexpected delay.

No grumps here :)

There are two distinct interpretations here.

1 You can check-in any time you want, but you can only board after the ship starts to allow boarding. Even with FTTF you may check-in at 10AM but stay seated until 12:30PM when they open the ship.

2. Your FTTF alows you to check-in and board immediately. Thus this 12:30PM notice will not apply to the FTTF cruisers.

If it is #1, I would think the terminal in NOLA is going to be bursting with many anxious cruisers. Sort-of defeats what I thought the goal of staggered boarding was going to address. I have to believe the truth is some where in the middle.

Can't get on the ship until boarding starts, around 11:30-12:30 depending on port and ship. FTTF boards after Weddings/Diamonds/Platinums. If arriving after boarding starts, then it becomes front of line privileges.

FTTF can check in at any time.

I should have been more specific with my statement. Thanks for clarifying for the OP. I knew exactly what I meant in my mind! LOL

Not if the ship isn't ready.

This looks like CCL is saying that the ships are not going to be ready prior to 12:30.

Which is not what the announcement of "staggered boarding" implied. Why buy FTTF if this is true? How is checking in cruisers for 2.5 hours only to have them stand in line going to alleviate an over crowded terminal? The Platinum and Diamond cruisers will be so pleased, I'm sure.

Are we all talking about the Jan 24 cruise in regard to the 12:30 boarding time? I got the same email. I was wondering if this later boarding is due to the Dream being at sea for 11-12 days prior instead of the normal 7 that might require a greater turn-around time for the crew to prepare? Just speculating.... thoughts?

FTTF applies to when you can get into the terminal. You can go in the minute the terminal is open to passengers. FTTF has nothing to do with the time that you get on the ship. FTTF boarding will follow the Diamond and Platinum guests in boarding the ship. Boarding time is under the control of Customs and Carnival. No one just walks on to a ship no matter what their status is!

Edited by Retired_to_Cruise

Are we all talking about the Jan 24 cruise in regard to the 12:30 boarding time? I got the same email. I was wondering if this later boarding is due to the Dream being at sea for 11-12 days prior instead of the normal 7 that might require a greater turn-around time for the crew to prepare? Just speculating.... thoughts?

That could be a factor. The Elation embarks the day before the Dream at it too is starting "staggered boarding". I wonder if they got the same Email.

It is 1. Your check in time has nothing to do with boarding time, this has always been the case. Boarding can't start until the ship is clear and they are given the go ahead to being letting people on. So yes, you could potentially be sitting in the row of chairs for an hour or two until you are called on.

There are two distinct interpretations here.

1 You can check-in any time you want, but you can only board after the ship starts to allow boarding. Even with FTTF you may check-in at 10AM but stay seated until 12:30PM when they open the ship.

2. Your FTTF alows you to check-in and board immediately. Thus this 12:30PM notice will not apply to the FTTF cruisers.

If it is #1, I would think the terminal in NOLA is going to be bursting with many anxious cruisers. Sort-of defeats what I thought the goal of staggered boarding was going to address. I have to believe the truth is some where in the middle.

It wouldn't be any different for Diamonds or Platinums; if the ship isn't ready, it isn't ready for anyone.

Which is not what the announcement of "staggered boarding" implied. Why buy FTTF if this is true? How is checking in cruisers for 2.5 hours only to have them stand in line going to alleviate an over crowded terminal? The Platinum and Diamond cruisers will be so pleased, I'm sure.

I believe Carnival announced the expansion of their staggered check in program last week or so. I don't remember which ships, but I'm pretty sure New Orleans was on the list. So you are probably getting this email letting you know your check in time. You can go to your manage booking and see if you have a set time and if the time can be changed according to the news release. According to the release, you will not be allowed to check in before your allotted time. FTTF, diamond, plat. will get earlier times, but I think it said they can check in anytime after their scheduled time. I'd check the Carnival news releases.

It is 1. Your check in time has nothing to do with boarding time, this has always been the case. Boarding can't start until the ship is clear and they are given the go ahead to being letting people on. So yes, you could potentially be sitting in the row of chairs for an hour or two until you are called on.

Based off of reviews of the Dream, the effective boarding time was more than 1 hour earlier. Of course no one gets on until they say "Ready", and I assume the 12:30 time is the latest CCL expects that to happen.

This was the third email related to new "staggered boarding" for this cruise. Since it is the first time it is to be implemented with the Dream I do not believe this emails have improved the cruiser's understanding of what will happen that morning.

The first email [12/14] made no mention of the 12:30PM boarding time. Yesterdays email is nearly identical with only the insertion of "Although guests may access the terminal at 10:30am, based on their window selection, boarding is scheduled to begin at approximately 12:30pm."

One wonders why the change in the letter. Again it is the first cruise with the "staggered check-in" intended to alleviate terminal crowding. My check-in window is 10:00-10:30AM. If the intention is to delay boarding until 12:30, well fine. It is what it is. Why not just delay the check-in windows until later?

I fully expect a chaotic mess as they initiate the new boarding scheme. Then again the real boarding time might be well before 12:30PM.

I think someone mentioned a longer sailing prior to this one. I'm sure it is frustrating to keep getting different emails but it does sound like they are trying to give folks a heads up. I haven't done the staggered boarding yet but am hoping it will go smoothly. I typically (even before I was Platinum) liked to arrive at the cruise terminal to check in about 11am and really never had issues, and I am normally a Galveston cruiser.

I hope it goes smoother for you than you are anticipating.

Based off of reviews of the Dream, the effective boarding time was more than 1 hour earlier. Of course no one gets on until they say "Ready", and I assume the 12:30 time is the latest CCL expects that to happen.

This was the third email related to new "staggered boarding" for this cruise. Since it is the first time it is to be implemented with the Dream I do not believe this emails have improved the cruiser's understanding of what will happen that morning.

The first email [12/14] made no mention of the 12:30PM boarding time. Yesterdays email is nearly identical with only the insertion of "Although guests may access the terminal at 10:30am, based on their window selection, boarding is scheduled to begin at approximately 12:30pm."

One wonders why the change in the letter. Again it is the first cruise with the "staggered check-in" intended to alleviate terminal crowding. My check-in window is 10:00-10:30AM. If the intention is to delay boarding until 12:30, well fine. It is what it is. Why not just delay the check-in windows until later?

I fully expect a chaotic mess as they initiate the new boarding scheme. Then again the real boarding time might be well before 12:30PM.