booking excursions onboard

HCTiger9704

This is my 4th cruise but my first cruise with Carnival. My last three cruises has been with Norwegian Cruise Line (since NCL has gone up on their prices, I decided to try a new cruise line).

I am sailing on the Carnival Dream out of New Orleans in April 2016. I am wondering if you can book excursions onboard and how easy/hard is it?

I know this might be a simple question but I like know the facts ahead of time and have no surprises.

Edited by HCTiger9704

I've done this on 3/5 cruises for at least one port. On the Valor in March we actually booked the excursions on the TV in our room. On the other cruises I've stopped by the excursions desk on the first day to book.

The only draw back to booking on board is the popular excursions sometimes sell out before sailing. If theres one you really want to do, book it asap.

This is true. On one cruise, we waited until we were onboard to book our excursions. There was one we really wanted, and were unable to get because it sold out.

Since then, if there's something we really want, we book it in advance. Other ports, we sometimes wait until we're onboard before deciding if we want to book something or not.

But if we do wait, it's very easy to book. At most there might be a few people in line, but not usually very many.

We are typically last minute excursions bookers. We mostly book the night before each port. We've only had one experience of an excursion being sold out, and it happened to be one we really wanted. So I asked about being put on a cancellation list (not even knowing if there was such a thing nor what the odds were of it being beneficial). In the meantime, we booked our second choice excursion.

The next morning we had tickets waiting for us for our first choice! At the end of the day we just had to take our (unused) 2nd choice excursion tickets back to the desk for a refund.

Just thought it worth a mention if you find yourself in a similar situation.

And as someone else mentioned - you can book your excursions on the tv in your cabin at your convenience, instead of waiting in line at the excursion desk.