Dinner attire

GEDANNY

The men in our group of 13 are bringing our suits. The question arose among us, and the ladies decided they liked having their pictures taken with well dress men.

Of course, in my case, it well dressed, not good looking. :)

Currently on the Eclispe. It is a five day cruise, so maybe that is why the evening chic was so casual. Saw one woman in a true gown (it was beautiful), quite a few cocktail dress and many plan every day clothes. One gentleman had on a tux, while there were a few suites, some slacks and sports coat and many slacks with shirts, sans a tie. Note, this was only what I saw at my 8:30 seating and certainly didn't see everyone who came in for dinner. At my table there were two gentlemen, one with a suite and tie and the other in a shirt and slacks. What folks were wearing certainly didn't seem to changes the atmosphere, as everyone looked like they were having a great time.

On another topic. My table mate did see a man turned away the night before (smart casual) because he had shorts on.

Sailed on the Millennium at the beginning of December so we're the first to experience Celebrity Chic. We love formal nights so were determined not to lower our standards and so wore our long gowns and our husbands their tuxedos. There were many more who felt the same. We didn't feel out of place in fact I think those who obviously couldn't be bothered to make an effort looked more out of place. On the second so called Chic night there were even more people in formal wear as they said they hadn't dared to wear it on the first night. We were even encouraged by some of the ship's staff to dress in our formal wear as they don't like the new dress code. Despite Celebrity saying it was still to be a special night they did nothing to make it so in fact despite it being 1 week before Xmas there were no Xmas decorations in the anytime dining restaurant. Having been on many cruises in December we have never been on a ship that lacked so much Christmas spirit so near Christmas. So our message to future cruisers is wear your formal as there will be many more like you especially if there are a large percentage of Britts on board.

Hi

I hope there is somebody out there that can help. We are booked on the Eclipse in April and the dress code has changed from formal to "elegant chic". I like the formal nights so will miss them, what I would like to know is if there is anyone that has any pictures of what you or anyone else is wearing on the "elegant chic" nights.

Tracey

The Eclipse tends to be a bit more dressy than other Celebrity ships(mostly due to longer cruises)Feel free to dress to the nines to show the rest of the pax what style is all about!

Currently on the Eclispe. It is a five day cruise, so maybe that is why the evening chic was so casual. Saw one woman in a true gown (it was beautiful), quite a few cocktail dress and many plan every day clothes. One gentleman had on a tux, while there were a few suites, some slacks and sports coat and many slacks with shirts, sans a tie. Note, this was only what I saw at my 8:30 seating and certainly didn't see everyone who came in for dinner. At my table there were two gentlemen, one with a suite and tie and the other in a shirt and slacks. What folks were wearing certainly didn't seem to changes the atmosphere, as everyone looked like they were having a great time.

On another topic. My table mate did see a man turned away the night before (smart casual) because he had shorts on.

Hopefully, shorts will not be allowed at dinner. The exception would be at breakfast & lunch.

Sailed on the Millennium at the beginning of December so we're the first to experience Celebrity Chic. We love formal nights so were determined not to lower our standards and so wore our long gowns and our husbands their tuxedos. There were many more who felt the same. We didn't feel out of place in fact I think those who obviously couldn't be bothered to make an effort looked more out of place. On the second so called Chic night there were even more people in formal wear as they said they hadn't dared to wear it on the first night. We were even encouraged by some of the ship's staff to dress in our formal wear as they don't like the new dress code. Despite Celebrity saying it was still to be a special night they did nothing to make it so in fact despite it being 1 week before Xmas there were no Xmas decorations in the anytime dining restaurant. Having been on many cruises in December we have never been on a ship that lacked so much Christmas spirit so near Christmas. So our message to future cruisers is wear your formal as there will be many more like you especially if there are a large percentage of Britts on board.

I was on the Millenium for the sailing over the holiday break and noted that the formality of dress differed between Xmas day and NYE. Many large family groups celebrated Xmas in their formal wear and teenagers and young people wore their bling for the girls and suits or even a tux for the fellows. There is something to be said for dressing up on occasion to keep Grandma, Mum and Dad happy (mostly Grandma & Mum) :)

However the younger ones seemed to dress a little more relaxed for NYE with jeans and a jacket or a cute dress. However, regardless of which evening we dined, the ambiance of the MDR remained unaltered. I failed to see any evidence that the change in dress standards detract from the overall atmosphere in the MDR.

Personally, for the regular nights in MDR, I wear nice slacks and a pretty blouse or sweater. Elegant chic nights will involve a bit more bling.

Enjoy your cruise!

^^^^^ about what wifey does, but toss in the ever reliable LBD.

We too have seen people turned away.

We were on the Summit before Christmas, and our experience was apparently different from the previous poster's on the Millennium.

We saw more people dressed formally the first Chic night than the second.

There were lots of Christmas decorations already up on the ship the week before Christmas.

Over all, the attire we observed in the MDR on Chic nights looked very much like the variety seen in the specialty restaurants and Blu and Luminae, where the dress code is always smart casual and where some dress up more than others.

The staff members we heard were very positive about the new dress code, from the officers to the waiters.

If you asked if you should wear formal wear, they would encourage you to do so,

and if you asked if you should wear jeans, they would encourage you to do so.

We heard a man ask at the entrance to the MDR at lunch time on a sea day if the plain slacks and polo shirt he was wearing would be acceptable for Chic night. "Absolutely" was the reply.

We did not see any shorts in the MDR at dinner time, but we did see some worn in the lounges afterwards.

Having just done constellation and eclipse, constellation was letting people into the mdr every night including elegant chic in shorts and flip flops. Eclipse however said no shorts at all and we continued to wear our formal gear

Edited by Tiggertastic

Having just done constellation and eclipse, constellation was letting people into the mdr every night including elegant chic in shorts and flip flops. Eclipse however said no shorts at all and we continued to wear our formal gear

Consistently inconsistent in application of the dress code. What a shock.

Just off New Year cruise on Solstice, and I found the overall standard of dress to be very casual on all nights. I was one of very few in a tux. There seemed no overall difference between the Evening Chic evenings and the Smart Casual ones... Not sure if I will take a tux on next Celebrity cruise- which is a shame IMHO. I guess one less thing to pack though :)

Just off New Year cruise on Solstice, and I found the overall standard of dress to be very casual on all nights. I was one of very few in a tux. There seemed no overall difference between the Evening Chic evenings and the Smart Casual ones... Not sure if I will take a tux on next Celebrity cruise- which is a shame IMHO. I guess one less thing to pack though :)

Why let others influence the way you want/prefer to dress.

Just off a short Connie cruise and on the 1 chic evening - most men - including some children - wore a sports coat and most of those with a tie although not all. We did see one younger man who had dark jeans with a jacket - very nice looking. Those that we saw that didn't have a jacket on were wearing long sleeved dress type shirts. So for a man I might feel a little "under" chic with a short sleeve polo type shirt but that might just be us.

Women looked more dressed up with many in cocktail type dresses, or fancy slacks and sparkly tops. Although one lady did have on sweat suit type material pants, not going to say more about that.

We are doing Alaska in May and DH is planning on designer, dark wash jeans with nice sweaters for regular nights but for Chic we haven't yet decided - tux or suit. I'll either be in gown or cocktail and for regular evenings - slacks or leggings with cashmere tops. Alaska doesn't necessarily mean too casual ;)