Is the Haven really worth it?

dsarge390

If you can afford it do it. If you are the type of person who is wonders what is going on up there' date=' you will kick yourself for not trying. If you try it and don't like it, at least you know.[/quote']

Welllll, I can afford it but only because I don't waste my money on things that are a poor value for the dollar. 10 grand is a lot of money for what looks like a pretty limited return.

Travler27 - I wouldn't cancel NCL, they are a great line and you will have a great time aboard. Personally I would not go on another Carnival cruise, last one I did was my first cruise probably 20+ years ago, and I hated it. There was not one thing I enjoyed about our Carnival Cruise and oh yeah, the Captain pulled the same thing the Captain on the Anthem pulled, we cruised into a huge storm missed 3 ports and suffered with 25+ foot swells. It was simply awful and there was no communication with the guests. At that time, there was no internet and TV channels were limited to about 4. Carnival didn't give us any money back but offered us a 10% discount on our next cruise, REALLY!

Thanks for the input but I'm not sure if a 20 old comparison is especially valid. We don't have a problem with Carnival and have enjoyed every cruise. They're just kind of starting to all look alike and we thought we might like something different. However, reading a lot of the posts here it looks like NCL may have a good number of problems themselves. I'll continue my research before making the decision to keep the booking or cancel. Thanks for your thoughts.

I just sailed on the Escape and made the mistake of staying in an aft Haven penthouse for our first cruise...now we won't sail any other way even if that means we take fewer cruises!!

You have probably read about how crowded that ship feels to some folks, but when you stay in the Haven you are insulated from all of that. Don't get me wrong, you can go out and and explore the ship all you want or not. We were all over the place some days and other days we stayed put on the Haven sundeck. It was awesome. The service is incredible...much different than other parts of the ship. If you asked for something, it was done the first time.

We ate in most of the specialty restaurants and the Haven Restaurant as well. The Haven Restaurant has some of the best food on the ship. One night while we were eating dinner at the Haven, my wife mentioned how much she enjoyed one of the salads she had at Cagneys. Ten minutes later it was sitting in front of her! That is the service you can expect.

And about needing the services of a Butler and Concierge...I didn't think I would ever use them either...then I went on our cruise. We needed to change around dinner reservations/show times.. all of this done with one trip to see the Concierge and if you have read any of the postings here on CC you know this can be a pain..not for folks in the Haven. Also, we sailed the week of the snowstorm on the east coast and our travel plans home were completely disrupted. The Concierge team bent over backwards to make sure we were taken care of when we arrived back in Miami.

The first night, I lost my cruise card (of course). I mentioned it to our butler because I thought I would have a problem eating in Cagneys that evening. We were already late because I had spent so much time looking for it. He assured me it was no problem. During dinner he showed up at our table and delivered a new card to me!

Point of the story is you never know when you might need these folks. If you would like to see a current Haven review, there is a good one on the Escape thread.

Thanks for the input but I'm not sure if a 20 old comparison is especially valid. We don't have a problem with Carnival and have enjoyed every cruise. They're just kind of starting to all look alike and we thought we might like something different. However, reading a lot of the posts here it looks like NCL may have a good number of problems themselves. I'll continue my research before making the decision to keep the booking or cancel. Thanks for your thoughts.

all lines have their issues. I really think it depends on what atmosphere you're comfortable with.

personally, Im not a "party all the time" kind of person, and my experience on Carnival is that it's always been a party type atmosphere. a "suite" on Carnival just means more space and getting on and off faster. It was always a zoo when we were on Ecstacy, with drunk teenagers rappelling off balconies, scavenger hunts running through the halls at 2 AM....I just didnt like it.

I like the NCL freestyle, because I dress up all the time for work and I LIKE t-shirts and yoga pants/jeans, and on NCL, that's OK. But at the same time, I enjoy having perquisites like private restaurant, pool that I dont have to fight the masses for (havent done an NCL suite yet, but give me 3 more weeks :D)

RCI was Ok, but seemed much more formal to me, with actual formal nights and such. We were in the OS and it just seemed...disorganized. The Concierge would tell me to do things through him and not stand in line, but he was never available when we called. And the suite nightly gathering for drinks was awfully pretentious seeming to me.

Holland America - lets just say that it wasnt a great fit for me at the time, since the closest person in age to me (outside my family) was about 30 years older. My brother (8 years older than me) was also bored silly. I wasnt in a suite for that one, though.

if you like the "fun ship" aspect of carnival, it certainly looks like Escape has fun in spades, but the trade off is there are a LOT of people. If we ever do the BA/GA, Epic or Escape, we will book Haven for sure. I need some space and quiet.

All depends on what you want.

all lines have their issues. I really think it depends on what atmosphere you're comfortable with.

personally, Im not a "party all the time" kind of person, and my experience on Carnival is that it's always been a party type atmosphere. a "suite" on Carnival just means more space and getting on and off faster. It was always a zoo when we were on Ecstacy, with drunk teenagers rappelling off balconies, scavenger hunts running through the halls at 2 AM....I just didnt like it.

You know, I hear this "Carnival party ship" comment all the time. I've done 10 Carnival cruises in the last 4 years, on 9 different ships at varying times of the year and I've never experienced the "party ship" phenomenon. I'm only 68 and maybe you're a little older and more set in your ways. :) I do avoid holidays and spring break. Maybe that's the difference.

And yeah, a suite is just more space but all the other NCL suite perks are mostly just puffery anyway. I've never had a butler in my life and don't think I could tell Egyptian cotton sheets from Mississippi cotton sheets either. Even if I could tell the difference I wouldn't pay an extra $10,000 for 'em. :D

Edited by travler27

You know, I hear this "Carnival party ship" comment all the time. I've done 10 Carnival cruises in the last 4 years, on 9 different ships at varying times of the year and I've never experienced the "party ship" phenomenon. I'm only 68 and maybe you're a little older and more set in your ways. :) I do avoid holidays and spring break. Maybe that's the difference.

And yeah, a suite is just more space but all the other NCL suite perks are mostly just puffery anyway. I've never had a butler in my life and don't think I could tell Egyptian cotton sheets from Mississippi cotton sheets either. Even if I could tell the difference I wouldn't pay an extra $10,000 for 'em. :D

So, you say you have never had a butler. Does that mean you have not ever sailed in a suite on NCL? Yet, you call the perks "puffery" based on what quantitative reasoning? Maybe to you it is just more room but to others there is value in the perks. Your comments do seem to have a bit of a jab toward suite cruisers in it. I would never make similar snips to someone in an inside cabin. To each his own.

:D

No, im in my 30s and have young kids (and 1 older stepdaughter- 22). The first ecstasy cruise was my Senior Trip from HS - the month before they changed the minimum age from 18 to 21 in each cabin. The 2nd was when the 22 year old was...13/14?. And over Spring break. Both out of Galveston. Now, it has always been spring break (have to go on school breaks)which I am SURE influences things. But NCL has been spring break also. But, Carnival was still not my cup of tea. I want to sit by the pool and read, not get a headache listening to "best legs" and "wet T-shirt" competitions.

Have you ever stayed in the Haven? If you have not, your opinion on the Haven is based on hearsay and maybe a couple of youtube videos and really means nothing in this thread. No one cares weather you "can afford it" or not, it's not a relevant argument to say if it is worth it or not when you have never sailed in the Haven. The question that was posted was Is the Haven worth it, you have told us that you have only sailed Carnival. Please go join a Carnival thread and tell anyone who is willing to read what your opinion of Carnival suites is. I'm sure you have a lot of them.

Have you ever stayed in the Haven? If you have not' date=' your opinion on the Haven is based on hearsay and maybe a couple of youtube videos and really means nothing in this thread. No one cares weather you "can afford it" or not, it's not a relevant argument to say if it is worth it or not when you have never sailed in the Haven. The question that was posted was Is the Haven worth it, you have told us that you have only sailed Carnival. Please go join a Carnival thread and tell anyone who is willing to read what your opinion of Carnival suites is. I'm sure you have a lot of them.[/quote']

I've never owned or driven a Rolls Royce either but I know it's just a car and not worth the price they charge.

As to my being able to afford the Haven, yes, someone did ask that question. So I guess at least one person cares. You might want to read before you comment.

Folks act like if you don't like the way their favorite cruise lines provide pricing and services you're calling their kids ugly. There is absolutely nothing that could possible be in the Haven that would be worth an extra $10,000 and anybody who thinks there is probably has ugly kids. :)

Edited by travler27

I've never owned or driven a Rolls Royce either but I know it's just a car and not worth the price they charge.

RR would not be in business for 110 years if they weren't worth the ptice they charge. Haven type suites have been around for a while on NCL. Someone help me, was there anything comparable before the Garden Villas on Dawn class 2001? 15 years at least speaks to there being value there somewhere.

As to my being able to afford the Haven, yes, someone did ask that question. So I guess at least one person cares. You might want to read before you comment.

Folks act like if you don't like the way their favorite cruise lines provide pricing and services you're calling their kids ugly. There is absolutely nothing that could possible be in the Haven that would be worth an extra $10,000 and anybody who thinks there is probably has ugly kids. :)

No one asked you that question. I was the one posting the question in the first place to the original question about if the haven was worth it not to you. Had nothing to do w you. If it was to you I would have quoted you. Read it again. Maybe YOU SHOULD READ BEFORE YOU COMMENT. You have no idea what $10,000 is worth to anyone else, not a clue. So just stop. Your opinion is not valid at this point.

Hi - we are a family of 5 staying in the Haven on the Epic in March. It is $1100 per adult (cdn$) for the UBP so we aren't going to buy. I have read on CC many times that Haven guests automatically receive UBP but I am guessing that may not be true anymore. If we are in the Haven Lounge, do we pay for soft drinks? or would those be free. Any knowledge/advice would be appreciated - Thanks

btw - the Haven was reasonably priced, which is why we booked. Our 'perks' were not chosen by us - Free 150 min wifi and $50 excursion credit per port.

Hi - we are a family of 5 staying in the Haven on the Epic in March. It is $1100 per adult (cdn$) for the UBP so we aren't going to buy. I have read on CC many times that Haven guests automatically receive UBP but I am guessing that may not be true anymore. If we are in the Haven Lounge, do we pay for soft drinks? or would those be free. Any knowledge/advice would be appreciated - Thanks

btw - the Haven was reasonably priced, which is why we booked. Our 'perks' were not chosen by us - Free 150 min wifi and $50 excursion credit per port.

The Epic Haven area and restaurant are fantastic.

When did you book your cruise? For a few months they had the haven/suites as getting all 4 promos for the first two in the cabin.

What Suite class are you staying in?

You should have picked your promos or got all 4 if it a cruise over 5 days. Who picked it for you?

Edited by monkeybone

We definitely got a very good deal, price had gone down and kids sail free. But I was curious as it has been mentioned here that UBP comes with Haven. It would be nice if the soft drinks are not charged for in the lounge.

We definitely got a very good deal, price had gone down and kids sail free. But I was curious as it has been mentioned here that UBP comes with Haven. It would be nice if the soft drinks are not charged for in the lounge.

Haven guests receive the UBP if it was a promotion that was available and selected when booking the cruise. It is not automatic. With that said, I've always seen it be a part of it (along with the dining package, shore excursion credit, and internet). Exceptions are sailings less than 30 days out when they often remove all promotions, or if one upgrades via upsell after booking a lower category. In the latter case most of the time you can carry over the promo you originally booked with, but not always so one should confirm.

Soda is not automatically free in the Haven if you don't have the UBP.

I am hands down stingy! I never pay full price for anything. Yes I'm that person! Yes that's me...and let me just say we have sailed the Haven twice....and LOVED it! The first time was on the Epic and the second time was on the Escape.

Let me just say that I found the escape main pool to be very crowded. In all the ships we have sailed (and no we do not always get a suite)....this pool was not designed for the number of people onboard......so yes it was nice to have our own retreat. We would take the kids down the water slides and let them play in the splash area but as for our relaxation...well that happened at the Haven pool.

We have three kids 7, 7, 6....it was nice to be served snacks and sometimes lunch poolside at the Haven. The service was phenomenal everywhere in the Haven.

Our room was gorgeous! Its like comparing a best western to a ritz carlton. The rooms are nicer...our bathroom was fantastic.....I tried to attach pictures unsuccessfully but I know you see pictures of the rooms all over the web.

If you book this ahead of time and take advantage of kids sail free promos then you can get a decent price on Haven suites. We booked ours a year in advance when the Escape itinerary was first released and yet we got an incredible deal. I kept checking throughout the year and the prices steadily were increasing each time. So the key is to book as year as possible on one of these promos if you have kids like us.

YES book it if you can...you won't be disappointed!

I thought at one time that I could not return to non-Haven after experiencing Haven. I was wrong. Now I am much wiser after sailed in many different cabin/perks options.

For me it boils down to 2 cruises on a mini or aft balcony vs 1 cruise in a Haven suite. Easy choice as I can lift a phone and make my own reservations and can do without the weak afternoon snacks.

The main thing you must have is the UBP.

We are in the Haven on the Breakaway in January for the first time (14 days). It is insanely pricey! Why are we doing it? Well, we can drive to the port so we save airfare and at least one or two nights hotel prior to the cruise, as well as drinks, meals etc., prior so that is a factor. My husband has mobility issues and it will be nice for him to have everything "right there". Originally, I had an aft haven suite booked but BA is a very large ship and it would have been painful for him to walk to the Haven a couple of times a day. It will also be nice to have a pool area without thousands of people. I am thankful that we can do it (at least this time), so for us it is worth it. I'm not going to lie, I am going to LOVE it. :)

• 3 weeks later...
The menu in the Haven restaurant is rather limited but they normally (Always?) have a "special" every day.

You can also order food from any restaurant on the ship in the Haven restaurant. If you order from a specialty restaurant you have to pay for it but you can order from the main dining rooms and from the pub without any extra cost. You can probably also ask for anything they serve at the buffé restaurant but I have never tried that.

Would you still have to pay for it if you had the Specialty dining package?