Is the Haven really worth it?

dsarge390

Hello, critics. Happy New Year!

So we put down a deposit for (2) Aft Balcony Penthouses in the Haven on May 28th-June 4th, 2016 on the Escape. This is for my 40th Birthday, and figured we would go all out. After doing a little research, I'm wondering if we made the right decision.

The larger room is nice, (there will be 3 adults in each suite), and the balcony is massive. I have sailed on the BA twice and the GA once, and was comfortable in a standard balcony room. I just have a few questions:

Is there an outside Haven pool, or only the small glass enclosed area?

If so, are there other outdoor spaces in the Haven to soak up the sun (not a fan of the "Cocoon" pool.

Is it true that the Haven restaurant maintains the same menu daily? No variation? Is it at least extensive? My Wife has a seafood and nut allergy, so shrimp and lobster daily won't work for us...

I'm not a complainer, but I like to get what I pay for. I don't just sit in my cabin and read all day, but I do enjoy being pampered a little. However, is it worth the extra thousands of dollars? Just asking for opinions/experiences.

Thank you, Cruisecritics!

Edited by dsarge390
forgot the date and ship

If you can afford it I would do it hands down. There is nothing even close to comparable between being in the Haven versus a Balcony in my opinion. The restaurant menu doesn't really change except for specials but the food its wonderful and the service is impeccable. I believe that the Haven pool on the Escape has a retractable roof so if it is good weather it will be open and it can still be used even in bad weather. I find the experience to be much more relaxing and enjoyable but it is impossible to say if you will find it worth it or not. I honestly will only sail in the Haven if it is something I can afford to do.

It is very difficult to say whether it is worth it for any particular person.

Personally, we've had a suite once (on the Pearl), and whilst it was a nice change it is certainly not worth it for us. We enjoyed the bigger cabin, but a lot of the perks and the haven itself meant that we just missed out on a lot of what the rest of the ship had to offer.

After we went on the Jade the following year, we all decided that we actually enjoyed being in a mini suite on that cruise more than the owners suite on the Pearl.

That's just our opinion, and I'm pretty sure we are in the minority, but our view was that it was nice to try, but not at all worth the extra money.

Yes there is a sun deck with hot tubs on deck 19 in the Haven. If you look at the deck plans you can see it. Also photos of the outside of the ship will show it

Here is a Haven Dinner menu always subject to change.

http://www.beyondships2.com/uploads/8/2/4/5/8245255/cr_204_haven.pdf

The Haven restaurant also serves lunch and Breakfast. There are a lot of great places to eat for dinner and with your booking you probably got 3 or 4 nights of specialty dinning included. You can eat anyplace you want on ship you don't have to eat in the Haven Restaurant.

Take a look at some of the You Tube videos of Escape's Haven and decide if its someplace you would enjoy.

Cost and value are all relative. No one can answer that. Some people on CC will say no way I would rather take 4 or 3 cruises in a inside than only 1 in Haven. Others will take 3 in Haven and not blink a eye at the costs.

in our case we have 2 daughters 16 and 11, so we are at that age where we really need 2 cabins, we could do one but 7 days or more with 4 in a cabin is a tough get lol.

We are doing a 14 day asia cruise next December and the price for 2 inside cabins is 3400 plus taxes each cabin, and the price for a family suite is 6500 for one cabin. Now the Star does not have a Haven so this is a bit off pricing wise for a haven but it still gives a general idea, plus with the suite or haven you get all 4 perks, not just the one

Another example we did a 2 bedroom haven on the BA this past October to Bermuda, same situation but 5 of us, it was 1900 more dollars to book a haven as compared to 2 balconies, well worth it with the beverage, dining etc plans added on

If I could afford it...I would...

But I also look at it that I could probably take 2 cruise for the price of one...???

So I guess my answer really does help...other than it depends on the type of traveller you are. If you like to spoil yourself...go for it and enjoy...if you enjoy more vacations...then save the money to do other things... if you can afford it and still go on many vacations in the year...why not

If money isn't an issue, as other have said, then sure.....why not. Personally from what some people have described the butlers on here as "pampering" , I would find them intrusive and really have no need for their services.

There are plenty of great restaurants on board so I don't need a dedicated one. I would be too busy wanting to try everything else.

All in all, it's a personal decision. I can sail in a Studio cabin if I want to and still have a fantastic cruise and lots of fun. :D

Whether or not it is worth it is entirely up to you. Personally, I've never stayed in the Haven because I've yet to hear about an amenity that makes it worth it to me. I've often joked that if we could upgrade for $50 each, we'd at least consider it, because that is the value we place on the perks/amenities for us. Some others will value those same perks at thousands of dollars. It's all up to you.

I suggest looking at the things that are offered that are not available to regular cabins. Make a list, and place a dollar value beside each item on the list to indicate how much you believe you'd be willing to pay for that amenity. Add it all up, and see how that compares to the price difference between standard cabin and Haven cabin.

Thank you all for the input. Having a private area around to sun, and swim is a nice perk for the misses. She prefers quiet and calm. I'm sure her sister, (rarely drinks), is probably the same. Knowing the food and service is excellent, is also a plus. However, when I sail, like to be around the action. We will also be sailing with my twenty one year old niece and nephew. I'm sure they will want to explore and such.

xcell brings up a valid point. I could cruise a second time this year for the money spent on this sailing...

The 4 upgraded perks, such as the Unlimited Beverages (They lose money on me) and the Specialty Restaurants is nice. But it almost wastes dining at the Haven restaurant for more than a couple of nights. We also have 3 adults per suite, and the perks are only good for the first two customers in the stateroom. So after you add up the costs of adding the 3 or 4 perks back to the 3rd person, It's seems like a better value to get 3 Balcony rooms.....

But, Happy Wife, Happy Life may apply here. It's my 40th B-day sailing so I'm going to have a great time either way. Thank you for answering some of my questions.

I've never sailed the Haven but I have recently booked a Haven suite on the Breakaway for this December. I've only been on one other NCL cruise and it was my experience on that cruise that led me to spend the extra money on the Haven.

In 2014 (for *my* 40th birthday, actually), I cruised on the Pride of America around Hawaii. We booked a Large Balcony room and three weeks before sailing, the Upsell Fairy called and offered us a Penthouse Suite for $300/pp. We jumped on it.

I had been on two previous cruises before then (one CCL and one Princess), and the "Suite Life" experience I got on my 7 days on the Pride was like nothing I had ever experienced before.

It went far beyond the private areas - on the Pride, there is no Haven. You get private breakfast and lunch at Cagneys, but otherwise there is no difference to what you can experience on the ship. However, there was a *complete* difference in *how* we experienced it.

Having our butler, George, set up a white tablecloth dinner on our balcony so that we could enjoy La Cucina while watching the sun set over the sea beyond Kona. Many say that La Cucina is the least of the specialty restaurants. It may very well be, but I'll tell you that Osso buco may be the best I've ever tasted just because of the setting.

I traveled with my mother-in-law who uses a mobility scooter to get around. On our first excursion, we had trouble with her transportation - the bus didn't have the wheelchair lift we were expecting and no-one seemed to prepared to handle the situation. The next morning at Cagney's, I mentioned it to James, our concierge. I didn't ask for anything, I just mentioned it - we're flexible people, we adapt.

Every excursion after that, there was someone waiting at the end of the gangway who knew my MIL's name, and made sure she got on the appropriate transportation.

We felt like *royalty* the entire week.

*That* is why we're spending the extra for the Haven. Our PCC says the Haven experience is like our suite experience "times a hundred". I don't put much stock in that hyperbole, but if it's *exactly* as good as the experience we had on the Pride, it will be worth every penny.

It is very difficult to say whether it is worth it for any particular person.

Personally, we've had a suite once (on the Pearl), and whilst it was a nice change it is certainly not worth it for us. We enjoyed the bigger cabin, but a lot of the perks and the haven itself meant that we just missed out on a lot of what the rest of the ship had to offer.

After we went on the Jade the following year, we all decided that we actually enjoyed being in a mini suite on that cruise more than the owners suite on the Pearl.

That's just our opinion, and I'm pretty sure we are in the minority, but our view was that it was nice to try, but not at all worth the extra money.

We feel exactly the same. In fact, I actually missed having a balcony cabin!

If you want to give the Haven a try, then go for it you just might be like the majority and love it.

She prefers quiet and calm. I'm sure her sister, (rarely drinks), is probably the same.

vs.

However, when I sail, like to be around the action. We will also be sailing with my twenty one year old niece and nephew. I'm sure they will want to explore and such.

You will ALL be happy. :D

Nobody is locked in the Haven. You are free to explore the ship and when it's time for peace and quiet, the Haven is there. It's the best of both worlds.

My suggestion is to research what the Haven has to offer (butler/concierge services, etc) and take FULL ADVANTAGE of them. You paid for it so don't "feel bad" for asking your butler for .....almost anything.

I'm more about experiencing different things. I'm looking at the MSC Yacht Club for something in the future just to experience something different.

I think everyone should try different things. You never know what you're missing if you don't try.

We've never been in the Haven, but I don't know how the cost is justified. Our family travels with 5 adults and take two staterooms. To get into the Haven for a September 2016 cruise on the Getaway would cost just under $11,000 for seven days. Two Family Mini Suites are about $6,500. It really is like paying for a second cruise. I guess I need to compare suites vs staterooms on some other lines, but it just seems like to big a difference to be worth it, for us.

If you can afford it I would do it hands down. There is nothing even close to comparable between being in the Haven versus a Balcony in my opinion. The restaurant menu doesn't really change except for specials but the food its wonderful and the service is impeccable. I believe that the Haven pool on the Escape has a retractable roof so if it is good weather it will be open and it can still be used even in bad weather. I find the experience to be much more relaxing and enjoyable but it is impossible to say if you will find it worth it or not. I honestly will only sail in the Haven if it is something I can afford to do.

I agree with balcony vs. Haven. I sail in balconies but can sailing on the Breakaway in the Haven in August (or second time). I think the only time we left the Haven was for the evenings for dinner and entertainment at night. It is absolutely wonderful!

Enjoy!

Yes it's worth it! We are normally social, joining the crowd and enjoying being around others. When we had the aft penthouse on breakaway, we spent hours staring at the wake rom our balcony! It was amazing. You can definitely soak up sun on the balcony close to the railing, or pull the lounger back into the shade for privacy.

The Haven restaurant does have a limited menu, but you can have the butler bring you meals to be eaten in your suite or (even better) on the balcony. I imagine your wife will be in contact with NCL prior to the cruise regarding her allergy, so the limited menu shouldn't be a bid deal. Breakfast in the Haven restaurant is amazing, I still rave about the frittata with smoked salmon, asparagus and Boursin cheese.

You only turn 40 once, so go for it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As someone who has stayed in the Haven on the Escape, the Haven is gorgeous but as like others have said, whether it would be worth it or not would really depend on your interests. For me, I love that the Haven is very exclusive (don't worry though, I am not stuck up) and there's an exclusive restaurant just for people in the Haven. It's also nice that the butler and cabin stewards will always greet you by name (cabin stewards for balcony or mini suites have never once asked me for my name). You definitely get pampered and treated like a VIP in the Haven but for me, I rarely use butler nor the Concierge. I have never done in-suite dining nor have I told the Butler to get me certain snacks in particular in the afternoons. I actually spend more time outside the Haven than inside.

Please check out my Escape review for info on Escape Haven. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2284255

Edited by GoAndHaveFun

I've sailed in Haven suites three times out of five NCL cruises...two on the BA and one on the on the Gem or Jewel (still get them confused!).

I never used the Haven on smaller ship. On the BA, our first cruise was wonderful in the Haven. It was not terribly crowded and on the last night we had the entire space all to ourselves for quite a long time. On the second BA cruise, there was a family group of well over 50 people who literally took the space over...taking up all the tables, throwing nerf footballs across the room, absolutely monopolizing the pools and hot tubs, being loud and generally very inconsiderate of everyone else who had also paid a heavy premium to be in the Haven. I mentioned my disappointment to the concierge toward the end of the cruise, and his reply was something along the lines of "it's hard when there's a big group."

As far as service is concerned, the suite (non-Haven) on the Dawn (my first cruise) was actually better and more personalized than in the Haven on the BA. I attribute this to the size of the ship and how many people utilized the services of the concierge. I'm definitely not saying that the service on the BA was bad in any way...it just wasn't as on point or special as on the smaller ship in my opinion.

I've loved, loved, loved Cagney's for breakfast especially and having no lines to wait in for check in, embarkation, tenders, and disembarkation on every suite and Haven NCL cruise I've taken.

In sum, is it worth it? Overall, I say yes but bear in mind that the actual Haven area does have the possibility of being over run by a big group.

My DH and I love the Haven. We are sailing for the 3rd time in the same aft penthouse suite on the BA. We've sailed in Celebrity's Royal Suite, RCCl's owner and grand suites, Azamara Suites and the Neptune Suites on HAL. DH prefers the Haven over all the others. The Haven is always cheaper than the others. DH would rather sail once a year in the Haven than twice in a balcony. I book at least a year in advance to save the most money. The Haven is just the right fit for us.

When we are sailing with children and grandchildren we sail in connecting ocean views if possible....we need bathrooms more than space. Last family cruise was on the Oasis...4 adults, 3 kids and 3 Central Park view cabins.....it was perfect.

I have been in the Haven on the Breakaway (on her initial crossing from Southampton to NYC - the upgrade fairy called) and on the Epic from Miami to Barcelona (with my wife and Mom, so three in a two-bedroom suite.)

On a low-port itinerary - like a Transatlantic - I think it is absolutely worth it, as long as it's within a reasonable budget for you. We did a Transatlantic last year in a balcony (you know, with the riff-raff), because we could afford it and still take a Christmas cruise.

If we were on a port-intensive itinerary, I'm not sure I would spend the money, because you're off the ship so much. On the Transatlantics, we slept in, had a great espresso machine in the room (which the butler had to explain), ate in our private restaurant, and just lounged. It was fabulous.

This is how nice it was: I was pretty convinced I would never get my wife back into a "normal" balcony. It is not the place to start cruising, as everything else will seem lesser after it.

It was worth the upgrade fee. It was worth the amount we paid after we split it with Mom. It's not worth it for me every time - because I'd rather do two cruises a year than one expensive one every couple of years.

in our case we have 2 daughters 16 and 11, so we are at that age where we really need 2 cabins, we could do one but 7 days or more with 4 in a cabin is a tough get lol.

We are doing a 14 day asia cruise next December and the price for 2 inside cabins is 3400 plus taxes each cabin, and the price for a family suite is 6500 for one cabin. Now the Star does not have a Haven so this is a bit off pricing wise for a haven but it still gives a general idea, plus with the suite or haven you get all 4 perks, not just the one

Another example we did a 2 bedroom haven on the BA this past October to Bermuda, same situation but 5 of us, it was 1900 more dollars to book a haven as compared to 2 balconies, well worth it with the beverage, dining etc plans added on

We've never been in the Haven, but I don't know how the cost is justified. Our family travels with 5 adults and take two staterooms. To get into the Haven for a September 2016 cruise on the Getaway would cost just under $11,000 for seven days. Two Family Mini Suites are about $6,500. It really is like paying for a second cruise. I guess I need to compare suites vs staterooms on some other lines, but it just seems like to big a difference to be worth it, for us.

As a family of 6, we often find ourselves in the same predicament.

Our first cruise on RCIs Freedom was the cheapest sailing we could find on that ship for that year. For a Family Oceanview (sleeps 6) first week of Feb it was 5400.

When NCL had their pay for 2 and everyone else is free sale we looked at booking a cruise with them. The cheapest being a Mexican Riviera cruise. The only rooms that slept 6 were 2 bedroom suites.

We priced out 2 balconies at 799 per person and we had to pay for 4 people. That ended up being about 3800 with taxes. For a two bedroom suite it was pay for 2 people at 1900 a piece which was about 4400 with the addl taxes for the kids.

For a 2 bedroom haven suite it was 2400 each for 2 with kids free which ended up being 5400 for all 6 of us. In addition we got all 4 specials at the time.

My line of thinking was for 1600 more than the price of 2 balconies averaging 900 per person taxes included we would get a chance that we would never have again of sailing in a haven suite.

Its also the same price we paid for our RCI cruise so it was in the budget.

I don't think I could ever pay 2400 for 2 of us to sail in a suite. A balcony would be just fine.

We are rarely in our room, pretty laid back, self sufficient and can't really see the need for a concierge and butler.

Maybe after this Haven experience we will change our minds but I highly doubt it. If nothing else it will be a lifetime memory for us and the kids.

-Sean