Platinum concierge question

pathubia

We are booked on a 10 day cruise in May.

We are both platinum, but we are not cruising in a suite for the first time since reaching platinum. According to NCL latitudes tiers, we get concierge service. Does that mean we can tender early? Embark and disembark early? Dinner reservations?

Thanks!!

Patty

We are both platinum, but we are not cruising in a suite for the first time since reaching platinum. According to NCL latitudes tiers, we get concierge service. Does that mean we can tender early? Embark and disembark early? Dinner reservations?

Thanks!!

Patty

In a word, no. Although concierge is listed as a Platinum perk we have never received Concierge phone number and the one time I tried to use Concierge to make dinner reservations I was told to call the restaurant myself since I wasn't in a suite. Your experience might be different.

However, for tendering you will get a voucher so you don't have to get tender tickets and can go to the tender line whenever you want -- you and the hundreds of other Platinum members aboard. There is no special tender service from a concierge.

There is a Platinum line for embarkation but it is often long. For disembarkation you do have special luggage tags for early disembarkation -- with hundreds of others. No special line or service.

Edited by NMLady

Thanks!!

Patty

Yes, you will vet vouchers for an early tender and a letter in regard to early disembarking. Embarking you're pretty much out of luck.

I have used the concierge in the past, just call Guest Services and ask to be connected or for their extension. However, it's actually best, depending on the ship you are on - to make dinner reservations prior to boarding.

Harriet

. For disembarkation you do have special luggage tags for early disembarkation -- with hundreds of others. No special line or service.

I've always received a letter in regard to where and when to meet the consi for early disembarkation and we're usually either taken to the front of the line of through the 'back way' to get to the front of the line.

Harriet

Yes, you will vet vouchers for an early tender and a letter in regard to early disembarking. Embarking you're pretty much out of luck.

I have used the concierge in the past, just call Guest Services and ask to be connected or for their extension. However, it's actually best, depending on the ship you are on - to make dinner reservations prior to boarding.

Harriet, Thanks for the info. I thought that, but wasn't sure!!

If you get the concierge phone number seems to be based on ship management/concierge/number of platinums on board or something even more obscure. Most of the cruises I did not but some I did.

I never used it though.

I will probably only be looking for priority tendering and disembarking.....I plan on making dinner reservations as soon as they come online.

This cruise May 8 on the DAWN was just added last month because the refurbishment was put off for 10 days, there aren't any excursions or dinner options yet online.

I've always received a letter in regard to where and when to meet the consi for early disembarkation and we're usually either taken to the front of the line of through the 'back way' to get to the front of the line.

Harriet

The only letter we've ever gotten as Platinum members for early disembarkation is to explain the priority luggage tags. We've never been offered the help of the concierge for disembarkation.

The only letter we've ever gotten as Platinum members for early disembarkation is to explain the priority luggage tags. We've never been offered the help of the concierge for disembarkation.

Strange....and I always have.

Harriet

Just off the Breakaway. The Platinum welcome letter contained priority tender meeting place information, info on where to pick up priority disembarkation luggage tags and the concierge phone number. I did not use the concierge service myself because I pre booked almost everything.

Same here. Also never have gotten concierge's phone number without having to ask of even fight for it when not in a suite.

Edited by Demonyte

After reading the response in this thread, I definitely got lucky as I got the Concierge welcome letter on the 1st day on a recent cruise and got info on where to go for priority tender and disembarkation. Perhaps this is a bit cynical to say but I feel that compared to Haven and the non-Haven suite guests, us Platinum are the unimportant "I guess Concierge will take care of you cuz NCL site says so" folks.

It depends upon some variables, but, generally speaking, larger ships with Haven complexes rarely give out concierge information to platinum members. It's not reasonable to expect one concierge (assistant concierges are not equals) to handle 95 suites with nearly 400 suite guests AND Platinum members, which could also number in the hundreds on the larger ships.

However, there is a hierarchy of "VIP" statuses. It's possible that those given concierge information might have been given it for reasons other than being Platinum.

Given the situation, it's reasonable to expect concierges to cater to passengers who specifically purchased a suite for their services over those who would receive it as part of a loyalty program. Sure, Platinum members have also "paid" for the benefits through their loyalty, but what do you expect of concierges that are already stretched too thin to handle an unreasonably large number of suite guests?

Blame corporate management for not addressing the issue and leaving their first line employees on the ships to deal with the fallout. "Fighting" or "harassing" concierges are pretty awful things to do to those who are already trying their best to make a broken system work.

Edited by barnacle_boy

It depends upon some variables, but, generally speaking, larger ships with Haven complexes rarely give out concierge information to platinum members. It's not reasonable to expect one concierge (assistant concierges are not equals) to handle 95 suites with nearly 400 suite guests AND Platinum members, which could also number in the hundreds on the larger ships.

However, there is a hierarchy of "VIP" statuses. It's possible that those given concierge information might have been given it for reasons other than being Platinum.

Given the situation, it's reasonable to expect concierges to cater to passengers who specifically purchased a suite for their services over those who would receive it as part of a loyalty program. Sure, Platinum members have also "paid" for the benefits through their loyalty, but what do you expect of concierges that are already stretched too thin to handle an unreasonably large number of suite guests?

Blame corporate management for not addressing the issue and leaving their first line employees on the ships to deal with the fallout. "Fighting" or "harassing" concierges are pretty awful things to do to those who are already trying their best to make a broken system work.

No fear of me "fighting" or "harassing" the concierge, I was just curious as what to expect (or not expect).

Thanks!!

It's not reasonable to expect one concierge (assistant concierges are not equals) to handle 95 suites with nearly 400 suite guests AND Platinum members, which could also number in the hundreds on the larger ships.

Then they need to have more than one Concierge or take this off the list of Platinum perks

If you can't provide the service, don't advertise it as included.

Edited by electro

I have to disagree, the crew onboard are the ones responsible of fulfilling corporate's promises to the customers. What you said is the same as telling someone that if they don't receive for example their pre-purchased OBC, they shouldn't pursue it onboard but to wait until after the cruise to resolve the matter.

Also in my experience it's not the concierge who needs to be fought for the contact info, but guest service reps and/or future cruise consultant (referred here also as latitudes rep) - while I can appreciate the workload of concierges, especially on megaships they do have fulltime assistant(s) that help them with the additional workload caused by the larger number of suites.

I have to disagree, the crew onboard are the ones responsible of fulfilling corporate's promises to the customers. What you said is the same as telling someone that if they don't receive for example their pre-purchased OBC, they shouldn't pursue it onboard but to wait until after the cruise to resolve the matter.

Also in my experience it's not the concierge who needs to be fought for the contact info, but guest service reps and/or future cruise consultant (referred here also as latitudes rep) - while I can appreciate the workload of concierges, especially on megaships they do have fulltime assistant(s) that help them with the additional workload caused by the larger number of suites.

OBC is a poor analogy, because it is a quantifiable benefit. It can be easily and verifiably credited with no disadvantage to others. Concierge "service" is by its very nature qualitative. With the current constraints, giving this service to more passengers will lessen the quality of that service.

I've said it before, but assistant concierges are not equals to full concierges. The workload, even with assistants, is still too large to feasibly add hundreds of Platinum members to the mix. Guest Services and Cruise Consultants do their best to limit access under these circumstances to help preserve service quality for suite guests who have paid for it. Again, this is a systemic problem that goes back to the top. Blaming those at the bottom who have to make the thing work regardless of corporate indifference is absurd. Fighting them merely adds insult to injury.

Thing is...Platinum members aren't just randomly demanding access to Concierge because they feel entitled as Platinum members. They are asking or requesting Concierge service because the NCL Latitudes benefits page states that Platinum members get access to Concierge.

I have read posts from other Platinum NCL cruisers saying not only were they denied access to Concierge, the Cruise Consultant even straight up laughed at them. That's definitely uncalled for as the NCL Latitudes page clearly states that Platinum members get access to the Concierge. This is coming from someone who rarely uses Concierge and actually got access to Concierge on a recent cruise as a Platinum member (aka I don’t have the "got mine" mentality)

Like Electro said, if Concierge is overwhelmed, then either hire more people or get rid of the perk for Platinum cruisers.

Thing is...Platinum members aren't just randomly demanding access to Concierge because they feel entitled as Platinum members. They are asking or requesting Concierge service because the NCL Latitudes benefits page states that Platinum members get access to Concierge.

I have read posts from other Platinum NCL cruisers saying not only were they denied access to Concierge, the Cruise Consultant even straight up laughed at them. That's definitely uncalled for as the NCL Latitudes page clearly states that Platinum members get access to the Concierge. This is coming from someone who rarely uses Concierge and actually got access to Concierge on a recent cruise as a Platinum member (aka I don’t have the "got mine" mentality)

Like Electro said, if Concierge is overwhelmed, then either hire more people or get rid of the perk for Platinum cruisers.

I've also said that Platinum member are definitely entitled to this service under the current system, and have a legitimate grievance in that it is not being fulfilled. But place the blame where it belongs: corporate management. "Fighting" it onboard is such an absurd thing to do.

To the specific case of being laughed at by a Cruise Consultant over concierge service for Platinum members, that has actually happened to me. There's no excuse for that kind of behavior from staff, but having seen it from the other side now, I can appreciate the tensions that exist. It's one thing to take them to task for being rude, but it's another to blame them for a system they have no control over.

At the end of it all, you and Electro are right. But that's a major policy decision that needs to be made at the top. The people on the ships can't hire another concierge, and they can't eliminate the benefit from published materials.