Help Choosing Legend Alaska Cabin

Holmes18

I'm sorry I got lost. I thought this was a Carnival thread talking about the Legend sailing to Alaska, I did not know it was really a NCL, Hal, Princess thread talking about their ships and their cruises. Huh

"almost all of an Alaskan cruise is inside passage where you typically won't have rough waters"

And you made the statement- I disputed- quoted above- based on ONE cruise you have made to Alaska?? (based on your profile)??? How many times have you sailed Alaska- round trip Seattle?? I done over 20 trips, since you ask. Facts, just as I state, it is the roughest sailing potential, itinerary.

Actually based on two, oops I'm sorry, I must have missed the footnote "cannot comment or reply to any thread unless you have twenty cruises" (for the record I did not ask either but let's not get wrapped up in facts).

Where in the heck are you getting this information- a lot of ships are sailing one way, NCL, HAL, Princess, RCI and Celebrity- all have one way cruises.

What is in short supply is round trip Vancouver.

He did say Carnival sailings are round trip Seattle mostly.

Our sailing in Alaska last year (which I think you were on, Budget Queen) we did have moderately choppy water the first and last nights, but nowhere near as bad as some trips in the Gulf of Mexico. I think if a person can live with the motion of the ship in the Gulf, overall their experience in Alaska will be minimal movement at all.

I think everyone is saying the same thing, just in different ways. No one is here to bash each other.

He did say Carnival sailings are round trip Seattle mostly.

Our sailing in Alaska last year (which I think you were on, Budget Queen) we did have moderately choppy water the first and last nights, but nowhere near as bad as some trips in the Gulf of Mexico. I think if a person can live with the motion of the ship in the Gulf, overall their experience in Alaska will be minimal movement at all.

I think everyone is saying the same thing, just in different ways. No one is here to bash each other.

Well said all the way around.

It sure makes a difference. If you can OP...and want to "go all out"..I think you get more sailing out of Vancouver and sailings that go a little longer round trip that can gt you to Sitka, Juneau, Ketchikan, and Skagway are so great. Another consideration. Pick your cabin for optimal affordible comfort and at least 2 excursions that appeal to you...so you can get closer..out of the myriad of things. Whatever you miss you can catch next time.

I think Hal and Princess..both in Carnival group offer extras due to their longer times up there. There are times you will want to be having hot chocolate or soup or another beverage in earshot of naturalist and other times you will want to be the 2 of you on the balcony. My folks have done the cruise 2 times...Old Nieuw (sp) Amsterdam with 2 youngest sisters and a porthole cabin and 20 years later with youngest grandaugther on Disney Wonder with a window...(I am sure my dad's LEAST favorite choice lol).

Find out what all out means...and the best times of my parents were good enough service and some time being served in earshot of naturalist and the private and closer tours. They loved the sled dog tour and really that one accommodated my mom with movement issues way more than they thought. Alaska is the most outdoor water plus mountain beauty you will ever have in US..there is something about moving slowly through it..but if you are even a little active..save enough for 2 big adventures away from ship. There is nothing like breaching marine wildlife I have enjoyed on Oregon coast, California, and Hawaii...and nothing like the green and marine smell...the real tree and earth and marine smell....Bon voyage. Carnival will be fine if that is your choice..like if you want most affordable suite for instance..whatever...but if very seasick..you will be ok with midship suite or balcony..get the top dollar "all out amt you can spend"..go form there..a land and sea tour is very best but anything Carnival, NCL and above is good...just try to get closer and feet on the earth next to trees etc. sometime. Know this even living in Montana and a dad that went twice but worked in Aleutians in late 50's as a geologist, so deeply with wildlife and all,,,gotta get into it safely for you..a little close...Many blessings..Sarah

Edited by sjn911

Carnival hasn't done one way cruises in years, unless referring to the, "one way" of Seattle/Vancouver.

The OP makes mention of avoiding sea sickness. The round trip Seattle sailings, do have the roughest potential. I have encountered sailings where there - were sick passengers on board.

There are numerous choices. There aren't any lines that haven't been sailing Alaska for years, and all could offer a fantastic cruise.

Carnival, does have, whom I consider, one of the top 3 ship naturalists sailing Alaska. As mentioned, this can really enhance a trip, especially for a first timers. But always something to take away from information.

Budget Queen, I've heard many say that you need to be in the public areas to hear the Naturalist, not on your balcony. Do you know if they broadcast the Naturalist speaking on the TV live at the time, so if you wanted to prop your door open you might be able to hear them and be on your balcony? Just wondering.

• 2 months later...

We have sailed twice on the Spirit to Alaska- both times in an aft wrap/vista view suite. For us it is the best room on that ship! We were on deck 4 both times. It has a large overhang which keeps the rain off of you when you are sitting outside. I wouldn't consider any other room for an Alaskan cruise. I do not agree that you don't see as much wildlife in an aft room. We passed by a pod of Orcas and were able to watch them for awhile from the side of our balcony and for a long time from the back after we passed them. The naturalist wasn't on duty to announce the sighting, and there was never any announcement from the bridge about it. We lived on that balcony, and definitely felt it was worth the extra money. Congratulations and you can't help but be awed by the scenery you will see- no matter what room you are in!

We just returned from a 20th anniversary cruise. Congratulations to you and spouse.

We looked at this exactly the same you are. All out. For us that meant maximizing excursion opportunities. You see truly amazing things from the ship but the excursions off the ship afford such huge enhancements I consider them a must. You can get lots of info on here about even doing some of your own booking with private carriers but I think, for the 1st trip, I'd pay a bit more and stay with your cruise line to be safe and limit your worry.

If/when we go again we'll spend just enough to get us in a standard or extended balcony and the rest on excursions off the ship.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi!

New to this board.

We have been on a couple of Caribbean cruises (Royal) but have never cruised Carnival or been to Alaska. We have a courtesy hold on Room 8154 extended balcony (port) on the Legend sailing next August. Should I be worried about noise being below the Lido deck? Any other things I should be worried about. Should I consider a similar cabin on a lower deck?

Sailing with my husband and two teenage sons (will be 19 and 16).

Thanks in advance for any advice!!!

If you can afford it and don't mind the walk to elevators/stairs, 4237 or the aft wrap-around Vista suite on the opposite corner of that same deck (sorry, don't remember the other suite number). Alaska is all about the scenery, and the huge balcony outside these suites gives you the ability to hang out on your own huge private deck and see behind the ship and to both sides... a beautiful panoramic view for scenery and wildlife watching. Deck 4 has the largest overhang of the aft wrap-around suites, which offers better protection from the elements and better privacy. You won't come back saying, "We didn't stay in our room much" with these suites on an Alaskan cruise. Well, if you do, you'll mean you stayed out on your balcony a heck of a lot of the time! Also, assuming your neighbors aren't jerks, it will be fairly quiet back there since there's no need for anyone, except for those in a couple of cabins, to go past your door.

Edited by SunsetPoint

I can only speak from my experience. Seas were rough the first night, but it was all over the ship. It didn't matter where you were. The rest of the cruise was like sailing on glass.

We were in 8266 vista suite and my parents were next door in 8268 or 8264, whichever is the aft wrap. We were a family of 7, so having their aft wrap with a separate living room was perfect. It only sprinkled on us ONE day out of the entire cruise, so it didn't matter that we didn't have a room over the aft wrap. Ours was fully covered. It was an awesome cabin. We son a ton of sea life and nature. We also stayed on our balconies a lot.

If I had a choice, I would do the aft wrap. I know people don't like being on 8 because of no overhang, but it was awesome being one deck from food and coffee.

1924039035_momroom2.jpg.653e7cbffb72eceded2087b8de92f4ff.jpg

371410503_momroom3.jpg.976978bc56c46275421ef6b11f6159f5.jpg

223394841_momroom4.jpg.1c9b58ab79ec32e81d5ab570f28d046a.jpg

859983131_momroom5.jpg.c93eb5f78bb19f57ba728ac85c33db6f.jpg

1756244311_momroom.jpg.f8f751f8215a703c19dc20f6a472581d.jpg

This is 8266 balcony shots. How can you not LOVE Alaska?! I fell in love and will be back.

Just my opinion, but if there is one excursion you do, you have to do the Tracy Arm excursion. It is worth every single penny.

669478753_ourroom6.jpg.5b9f426777f598d73546f0543767ee84.jpg

1893374828_ourroom7.jpg.fbd6b88925b5a0ffd5192f9278be354b.jpg

Edited by tamirpr

We are on Legend right niw, will post longwr review upon return and full wifi.

Upon boarding did some exploring, and bited in more than one occassion "sewer gas type odor" while walling in aft (back) hall area when going down to dinner in back of boat on decks 5-7. Also one day more smoke stack/fuel fumes. Just a thought. We also sat in open dining for brunch today dck 2 aft by windows and lots of vibration from below. I could bever eat there evety noght for motion suckness. Water was folded napkin sculptures st empty tables moving on their own. Granted haven't stated in sn aft just observations this cruise.

Having sailed 12 cruises this was second ship with those issues. Also noted we stayed in extended balcony vs. a suite this time as excursions are much more expensive in Alaska. We spent way less time on balcony than thought as only really sunny day was Seattle, rest grey and cool temps. Usually 61 for high.

So when taking cabin booking into account, think of ehat you want yo fo off ship, or shop for. Alaska has unique Orocal jewelry type- natural white quartz with real gold veins, also beautiful gems the color of glaciers in one store. Will look up name later.

A MUST - Tracy Fjord prebooking usually required. All ships have gone to Dawes Fjord side this season Amazing. $189/person

Second- for adventurous & fit son & daughter in law booked canoe trip across mendenhall lake to hlacier, walked on glacier and entered ice caves to tour. $284/person. More in my review.