Child Proofing Hallway Door

fdwt994

Hello,

Before the Forum Police school me, I did search the forums but only found a couple of ideas...

My family and I are travelling with connecting OV staterooms. The plan is to put the kids in one room, my Wife and I in the other. Our concern is how to child proof the stateroom hallway door in order to prevent adventurous 3-year old twins from opening it in the middle of the night. We'll keep the connecting doors open but I still want to be able to prevent the kids from opening the stateroom door. I know the doors are heavy, but you would not believe what these girls are capable of!

Anyway, if anyone has any advice how to child-proof the door with mechanical devices, etc, I'm all ears.

Also, any other thoughts about child proofing the stateroom would be appreciated.

Thank you!

The deadbolt usually isn't the easiest to turn and perhaps even more so for a 3 year old. I believe blocking a door, or affecting the access to/of a cabin door isn't allowed.

There are small magnetic door alarms available with remote speakers that you could bring as well.

Are you concerned about you children getting out into the main hall or being able to get into your cabin?

We'll keep the connecting doors open but I still want to be able to prevent the kids from opening the stateroom door.

I have a travel alarm that just hangs on the door handle. Its made by First Alert and can be used as a bag alarm, panic alarm,or door alarm. Its a motion sensor and has a built in flashlight. Its tiny and lightweight and I don't think it cost over $20.

I have a travel alarm that just hangs on the door handle. Its made by First Alert and can be used as a bag alarm, panic alarm,or door alarm. Its a motion sensor and has a built in flashlight. Its tiny and lightweight and I don't think it cost over $20.

That is a good idea, but I would be sure to find one that isn't high in decibels. That screeching would surely scare the crap out of the neighbors! I know I would not be happy to be woken up by that awful noise in the middle of the night!

Another vote for the deadbolt.

Edited by firemanbobswife

For all of you saying that the three year old can't unlock the deadbolt you're wrong. We had the same cabin configuration with my family and parents. Grandma and grandpa let us go out to see some shows one night. They were watching TV and had a knock on the door. Our room steward found our three year old out walking the hall, luckily he was only a few doors down. Don't assume they can't or won't unlock the doors. We were very lucky, next cruise we're bringing something to help secure the door.

or maybe you could just lay the table in front of the door. I don't think they would be able to move that. I don't know. I would have to get in the room and see what kind of barricades i could construct. If not i think just the deadbolt should suffice.

:d:d:d:d

For all of you saying that the three year old can't unlock the deadbolt you're wrong. We had the same cabin configuration with my family and parents. Grandma and grandpa let us go out to see some shows one night. They were watching TV and had a knock on the door. Our room steward found our three year old out walking the hall, luckily he was only a few doors down. Don't assume they can't or won't unlock the doors. We were very lucky, next cruise we're bringing something to help secure the door.

A motivated child can definitely find a way to get to that deadbolt. Now the odds of you hearing them in the process are decent, depending on how well you sleep.

Honestly I would think about one of the travel alarms for the door. They make the type that hang from the door as well as ones the function and look like a doorstop. It might go off, but it might not. If it does go off I have a feeling the kids would never touch that door again. If you shop around they range from 90 decibels to 120.

Might also be worth checking out your local stores, they might have something you can use in the safety proofing area. I saw some door handle locks for lever style handles, and they might work just fine.

Even if a three year found a way to undo the deadbolt, I doubt they'd be able to pull the door handle down and have enough strength to pull the heavy door back in order to open it. The doors would be very heavy for a child to pull open, especially a three year old who's stretching to reach up and grab the handle.

Sounds like a door alarm is the way yo go for peace of mind, but I feel like the odds of a toddler being able to get the door open are slim.

Edited by Pesh

This is going to sound really dumb- but can you bring a baby gate with you? We made our nieces promise they would never ever cross the gate and then they got a prize every day. We had bells on the gate so we would know before they got anywhere near the door .

That's a good idea. Maybe one of those lightweight wooden ones that use pressure to mount. I'm pretty sure you would have to carry it on though.

Edited by firemanbobswife

I guess pointing to the door and saying don't touch that door is out?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

That would work with some kids, but not all. My DD wouldn't have gone out without us anyway, but certainly wouldn't do anything we told her not to at that age. My DS would have been roaming the decks at that age. Luckily he's a really solid and heavy sleeper so it wasn't a problem when we traveled, but if he wasn't it would certainly have been an issue. Interestingly, once they hit the teenage years they seemed to have swapped personalities.

Edited by E&B

A motivated child can definitely find a way to get to that deadbolt. Now the odds of you hearing them in the process are decent, depending on how well you sleep.

Honestly I would think about one of the travel alarms for the door. They make the type that hang from the door as well as ones the function and look like a doorstop. It might go off, but it might not. If it does go off I have a feeling the kids would never touch that door again. If you shop around they range from 90 decibels to 120.

Might also be worth checking out your local stores, they might have something you can use in the safety proofing area. I saw some door handle locks for lever style handles, and they might work just fine.

Curious if these alarms are so loud they could disrupt others in their cabins...

Curious if these alarms are so loud they could disrupt others in their cabins...

Odds are that it would be no worse than another loud person or someone being obnoxious and noisy. I would have to wonder how much an amber alert would affect one vacation as well. Likely most intrusive than a short alarm?

If they are smart kids you could even set it up at home and show them how it goes off.

Do these children get up to use the bathroom during the night? Putting a table in front of the door might block access to the bathroom door... And it seems some folks are thinking of 3 y/o children as midgets. The door handles in the cabins are no higher than your doorknobs at home. If your toddler can reach them, they can reach the cabin handles. Average height for a 3 y/o is 37", door handles about 35"... Easy to reach it. EM