I get sea sick and my daughter wants to go on a cruise. Which one would be best?

Hi,

My daughter desperately wants to go on a cruise for 5-7 nights but I am hesitant as I get sea sick. Recently I went a whale watching boat and was sick - all I had taken were ginger tablets. My husband is happy for all of us to go on one as long as we visit places along the way. He doesn't want to stay on the cruise the whole time.

Which cruise would be most suitable for us? We have two teenage children.

Thanks!

We have teenage kids, have been on 3 carnival cruise's and can recommend Carnival, we had a great time on all 3 and going again in a couple of months.

The ship has very little movement unless the seas are very rough and the movement would be very different and far less than a whale watching boat.

Edited by lagoon380

It is totally different on a large ship. I also believe that that more you stress and worry about it, the worse you will be.

Choose as big a ship as you can, the bigger they are the less you will feel the motion. Celebrity Solstice or RCCL Yoyager of the Seas would be my pick. And avoid crossing the Tasman if possible as the seas can be very tough if you get bad weather as well as avoiding cyclone season up north.

You will have a wonderful time. Relax, enjoy:)

Hi,

My daughter desperately wants to go on a cruise for 5-7 nights but I am hesitant as I get sea sick. Recently I went a whale watching boat and was sick - all I had taken were ginger tablets. My husband is happy for all of us to go on one as long as we visit places along the way. He doesn't want to stay on the cruise the whole time.

Thanks!

You don't say where you are from, but generally the Caribbean Sea is calmer than the Atlantic or the Pacific. Alaskan waters are also generally more rocky than others. Avoid the Caribbean June through November, as this is hurricane season nd although the ship's can be 're-routed to avoid storms, there is still more potential. I don't know much about the Mediterranean, so hopefully others can chime in. My DD1 gets quite sea sick. She finds crystallized ginger helps, as does eating lightly and not drinking much alcohol. Others have great success with such meds as Bonine, meclizine, dramamine or the patch that goes behind the ear and works for three days called scopolomine. Others like Sarbanes.

Hi,

Thanks!

As you have posted on the Aust/NZ section, I assume you are either an Aussie or a Kiwi. I strongly advise you to take some medication with you and maybe even take a tablet before bedtime the night before the cruise and the first night or two on the ship. Avomine is what is recommended on many ships. I have tried a few different remedies and have found Avomine is the best. It is an anti-histimine that tricks the brain into not fully registering the motion of the ship. I suggest taking the tablet at night. It is a 24hour one, but if it can make a person a bit sleepy. I find if I go to a movie or a show within a few hours of taking one, I will fall asleep, but I don't feel sleepy if I am walking around and doing 'normal' things.

Avomine is available at Chemist Warehouse. The last time I bought it, it was $9.60 for 30 tables, but you have to ask the Pharmacist for it. Last week I noticed it was $12.96 at my local chemist.

I also advise strongly against Stemetil (the medication doctors usually prescribe). It is an anti-emetic which means it will stop you vomiting, but it will not make you feel any better. I took it on my first cruise 33 years ago when I started to feel 'off'. I really regretted taking it because I wanted to throw up and knew I would feel a bit better if I did, but the Stemetil stopped me from doing it.

The advice from MommaBear to relax is good. Don't stress about feel seasick. On a big ship it is most likely you won't have a problem, but it is still better to be prepared with the medication.

As someone else said, the movement on a whale watching boat is totally different from the gentle movement on a big cruiseship. Your question of which one would be best - cruise ships are each as good as the other in terms of movement. Look more carefully at the area the cruise is going to and the time of year, but it is still the luck of the draw. Bass Strait between Vic & Tas can be rough as can the Tasman between Aust & NZ. I wouldn't recommend North Q'land in summer. Probably your best bet would be a cruise to the Pacific Islands. Maybe avoid cyclone season.

Go for it and enjoy. :)

Edited by Aus Traveller

You can get free sea sickness tabs on board or buy them from the on board shop at next to nothing.

Recommend Bonine (active ingredient is Meclizine) available on board - not available in Australia. They do not make you drowzy viz Avomine.

And remember the saying - the more you pay, the more you sway. That is why the main dining room and the public areas are usually on the lower decks. Go for the MIDSHIPS (the middle of the ship) on a lower deck - the balcony on the lower decks may not be available, but the most stable cabin will be the one in the middle of the midships - but is is usually inside cabin (no window). Green apples with skin, in addition to the medications, will do the trick. If any further problems, 'diet' eating for a day (crackers, plain rice, no rich food, no alcohol) and a walk on the lower promenade deck (looking at the horizon, not the sea) will usually fix it.

My wife has some issues with Sea Sickness too.

She swears by the following....

Trevalcalm (ginger one is her first choice), start a few days before your cruise.

Ginger, pieces, tablets, tea.

Green Apples (one or two a day).

Next maybe a cruise that avoids the worts spots...

Bass Straight

Tasman Sea

Nth Aus in Cyclone season.

I'd suggest looking at a short 3or4 day, cruise. Thre are a few that do itineraries like Syd-Melb or Bris One way or return or similar the one way are usually only about 2 days.

There are few Sydney to Moreton Bay 4 or 5 days.

Nice little taste tests to see how you go.

You can get free sea sickness tabs on board or buy them from the on board shop at next to nothing.

Recommend Bonine (active ingredient is Meclizine) available on board - not available in Australia. They do not make you drowzy viz Avomine.

I have got some Bonine. I must try it sometime. :) So far I have stuck with what I know works.

My wife has some issues with Sea Sickness too. She swears by the following.... Trevalcalm (ginger one is her first choice), start a few days before your cruise.

Ginger, pieces, tablets, tea. Green Apples (one or two a day).

Next maybe a cruise that avoids the worts spots... Bass Straight, Tasman Sea. Nth Aus in Cyclone season.

I'd suggest looking at a short 3or4 day, cruise. Thre are a few that do itineraries like Syd-Melb or Bris One way or return or similar the one way are usually only about 2 days. There are few Sydney to Moreton Bay 4 or 5 days. Nice little taste tests to see how you go.

Your idea of a short cruise is good. I have been surprised to meet several people who do as their first cruise either the 47 night Indian Ocean, a 42 night to Japan or even the world cruise.

I used to swear by Travelcalm, but not the ginger one. I am sure that wouldn't work for me. But the Travelcalm let me down once in 10m seas. I went to the medical centre for an injection and they said they wouldn't give it to me unless I had Avomine and was still sick. I bought Avomine on board (I haven't seen it recently on board) and within half an hour I felt pretty well even though I was very sick when I took it. That convinced me. :)

You can buy Bonine (or the generic meclizine) from US websites, I've just ordered 100 tablets for approx. $20 including postage. A LOT cheaper than what I paid on the ship.

There's also a NZ brand called Sea Legs with the same ingredient, and at least one pharmacy who will ship it to Aus.

You can buy Bonine (or the generic meclizine) from US websites, I've just ordered 100 tablets for approx. $20 including postage. A LOT cheaper than what I paid on the ship.

There's also a NZ brand called Sea Legs with the same ingredient, and at least one pharmacy who will ship it to Aus.

Also available on fleabay for about $10 delivered just search for meclizine often under the generic brand Rugby

Teenagers would probably prefer South Pacific with heaps more kids about on board usually.

For a first timer I agree with Tassie trip, and if you really hate the trip you can easily get off and get home (if you are from Aus).

Many people are like your husband in thinking being on the ship is all that happens. Even a long repositioning cruise to the other hemisphere would have stops along the way. There are many cruising options.

I just want to say that as a teenager my parents went on a couple of overseas trips, Bali & Fiji, and there was not one thought about me going. I stayed with friends. So my feeling is that if you really don't want to go cruising, then I could not imagine telling my parents what they should do. I know things are different these days.

If you want to give it a try that is up to you, but there are a few people I come across that really do not like the idea of cruising, and while I think it is fantastic, that does not mean other people have to do it. Do a holiday you want to go on, and if you take the kids then they are very lucky in my opinion. Maybe a holiday to the coast is what you really want? Have a good think about what your own preference is.

Nobody has to follow my opinion, but there it is anyhow :)

My husband gets sea sick and we put off cruising for so many years. We have just returned from our first cruise on Voyager of the seas with 2 sixteen year olds. They had a fantastic time, so much for them to do that we had to pre-arrange meeting times so we knew they were still aboard! Hubby did not feel unwell even once. We travelled well aft and felt almost no movement. If you like the idea, give it a go. But stick with the larger ships to start[emoji4]

My husband gets sea sick and we put off cruising for so many years. We have just returned from our first cruise on Voyager of the seas with 2 sixteen year olds. They had a fantastic time, so much for them to do that we had to pre-arrange meeting times so we knew they were still aboard! Hubby did not feel unwell even once. We travelled well aft and felt almost no movement. If you like the idea, give it a go. But stick with the larger ships to start[emoji4]

Good advice, large ships are best and get a cabin on a low deck and midship.:D

My suggestion would be Royal Carribbean's Voyager of the Seas. Its very big and very stable for you and has heaps of activities to keep your teens amused.

Make sure you book a specific cabin in a mid-ship location. You dont want to go the guarantee option (which is cheaper) but means you could be placed in a cabin at the very front or very back where you are likely to feel more movement.

Take sea sick tablets (Avomine) the night before the cruise and keep taking them for the first couple of nights until you get your sea legs.

One thing I will mention is that at some ports, you access the port via tender. These are small boats that take passengers from the ship to the wharf. Sometimes if there is a bit of a swell they can be a bit bouncy. Good idea to nab a seat near the "window" for a more pleasant trip as they can get a bit hot and stuffy too.

Good luck! Hope you have a great cruise and its the first one of many:)

Take sea sick tablets (Avomine) the night before the cruise and keep taking them for the first couple of nights until you get your sea legs.

My tip, as a former spew-queen (I grew out of the worst of it) is that I agree to taking a tablet the evening before leaving but I only take half a tablet rather than the full one. The other half I take in the morning. You don't necessarily need to take a full tablet every time.

We also keep a packet of Milk Arrowroot biscuits on board our small boat. If I get a bit wonky I will grab one to nibble on. It seems to settle my stomach.

I get sea sick very easily. However, I'm confirmed cruiser.

I take Meclizine, which works very well for me. In the US, I believe it's called Bonine. In New Zealand, it is called Sea Legs.

It makes me a bit drowsy, so I take one pill every night. That gives me a good night's sleep and no sea sickness, since the pills' action lasts for 24 hours.

You could ask your doctor for his/her advice about preventing sea sickness.

One thing I will mention is that at some ports, you access the port via tender. These are small boats that take passengers from the ship to the wharf. Sometimes if there is a bit of a swell they can be a bit bouncy. Good idea to nab a seat near the "window" for a more pleasant trip as they can get a bit hot and stuffy too.

When you board the tender check out which end is the 'front' and get a seat closer to the back. The bow of the tender will move around much more than the centre or slightly to the back of centre. As suggested, try to get a seat near the window.

I get sea sick very easily. However, I'm confirmed cruiser.

I take Meclizine, which works very well for me. In the US, I believe it's called Bonine. In New Zealand, it is called Sea Legs.

It makes me a bit drowsy, so I take one pill every night. That gives me a good night's sleep and no sea sickness, since the pills' action lasts for 24 hours.

You could ask your doctor for his/her advice about preventing sea sickness.

Mrs Gut won't take anything that makes her drowsy.

I think she worries about what the Gutster will get up to while she's out to it:eek:.

While I'm usually first to suggest asking a Dr about medical issues, many o them have little if any experience with sea sickness.

Mrs Gut won't take anything that makes her drowsy.

I think she worries about what the Gutster will get up to while she's out to it:eek:.

While I'm usually first to suggest asking a Dr about medical issues, many o them have little if any experience with sea sickness.

Every time that I know a doctor has prescribed or recommended something for seasickness, it is Stemetil. As I mentioned in an earlier post, Stemetil will stop you from throwing up but it will not stop you from feeling terribly ill. You will be just wishing you could throw up to get some relief. :D Don't take it. :D