Have you been to Manta, Ecuador?

sjf

We only have one day in Ecuador (in April) and we'll likely never have the chance to be there again. Really want to make the most of our time, but I am not coming up with any interesting ideas.

We'd love to hear what you did if your ship stopped at Manta for the day, whether you would recommend or advise us to avoid.

Thanks.

We took a local tour to see the making of Panama Hats (we purchased 2), buttons and a restaurant for lunch. It was a nice drive through the country and about a 5 hr tour. We actually ran into some folks from our cruise ship (Zaandam) at the Panama Hat makers place.

As freestyling notes, the Panama Hat shorex is good, as is the one to Isla Corazon. You get to see the countryside, a bird sanctuary and museum, if that interests you.

We like to wander around the town, easy to do, and gives a very good idea of Ecuador in general. There is a good market with fair prices on lots of well-made items (they often sell cheaper if you buy 2 of an item).

We were on Zaandam last October with a port call to Manta. A free shuttle was provided to the town square (about two miles from the ship). The shuttle had free WiFi!

In the town square were many, many panama hats for sale, pretty much of all qualities. Included were a couple of weavers demonstrating how they are made. There were also copious quantities of other souvenirs available. We saved money (and time) by not taking the panama hat tour and used the funds to purchase our hats at the square.

Where the ships tie up is an industrial port and pedestrian traffic isn't allowed. If not taking the shuttle to town there is also a free shuttle to the main gate. Where this shuttle drops off passengers is a large beach with many restaurants and souvenir vendors as well as (spotty) free WiFi.

The currency of Ecuador is the US dollar.

Edited by Classiccruiser777

Thank you both for your quick replies!

Freestyling, did you find your local guide on arrival? can you remember the cost? Or did you book on the internet in advance? There are 2 companies mentioned on tripadvisor, but I am a bit wary as many of the positive reviews are from people posting their first review (often a sign they are not genuine).

We were on Zaandam last October with a port call to Manta. A free shuttle was provided to the town square (about two miles from the ship). The shuttle had free WiFi!

In the town square were many, many panama hats for sale, pretty much of all qualities. Included were a couple of weavers demonstrating how they are made. There were also copious quantities of other souvenirs available. We saved money (and time) by not taking the panama hat tour and used the funds to purchase our hats at the square.

Where the ships tie up is an industrial port and pedestrian traffic isn't allowed. If not taking the shuttle to town there is also a free shuttle to the main gate. Where this shuttle drops off passengers is a large beach with many restaurants and souvenir vendors as well as (spotty) free WiFi.

The currency of Ecuador is the US dollar.

I did this as well.

You can also watch the tuna boats being loaded up. I've never seen so much tuna in my life :D.

One of the more low-key stops which is why it had so much inherent charm. Just being in place can often be enough. Slow down, walk around, sit on a bench and people watch, poke into local shops and restaurants. Panama hat shorex was good.

Thanks all. Sounds like it might be better to keep this stop low-key.

Is the shuttle bus provided by HAL or by the port? Do you need to book it on the ship or is it just there when you get off?

Thanks all. Sounds like it might be better to keep this stop low-key.

Is the shuttle bus provided by HAL or by the port? Do you need to book it on the ship or is it just there when you get off?

I want to say it was the port but I'm not 100% sure. I was there about 8 years ago. At that time you just got it once off the ship. You couldn't pre book it.

We did a ship's excursion a few years ago. This is what I wrote up when I did a "Live" report:

We chose the Manta and Montecristi Tour which was between 4 and 5 hours. The tour began at 8:10 and we first went out to the Tagua factory where they make hand crafted items and jewelry from tagua which is a cream-colored nut that looks like ivory. They had a couple of workers outside to show us the process of making a hand crafted item from the nut. There were a couple of stands set up where you could buy jewelry (necklaces, bracelets, ear rings as well as items like butterflies, turtles, crocodiles, etc. Prices were not bad. From there we went back to town to go to the archeological museum - Central Culture Museum of Manta. This two story building traces the history of the region from 3000 BC until the nineteenth century. Each civilization was shown through statuary and pottery and visual depictions. Scenes depicting what a village of that epoch would look like accompanied each assortment of carvings and pottery.

Then it was back out to the countryside to the village of El Chorillo where they make pot holders, mats, purses from sisal fiber. There used to be 26 factories, now there are only 2. They make the huge sacks that at one time were used for shipping coffee beans.

Just my opinion, but we spent too much time going and forth from the city. To me they should have gone to the Museum first, then the tagua factory and then continued into the countryside. We went over the same bridge four times in both directions !!!

From there we went to Montecristi where they make the Panama hats. One place we stopped in, you could actually see them making the hats. The cheaper hats last about a week - sell for around $10. The more expensive hats - some were very cute - can cost around $40 and $50 - but they will only last about 3 months. We were given 45 minutes to roam around the area. Besides the street vendors, there was another area just down the hill from where our bus was parked that also had vendors - but they were in a fenced in area and didn’t hound you like the other vendors. They had pretty much the same thing - Panama hats, purses, jewelry, t-shirts, etc.

Then we had some people who wanted to stop at a liquor store to buy some wine. That was an experience. The liquor stores are completely “caged” in (like many businesses). You can not walk into the store and brose around like you can in the states. You have to know what you want. Our guide went those who wanted to buy some wine and suggested some for them to buy - Argentine and Chilean wines. It took nearly 20 minutes for everyone to get waited on - about 10 people wanted to buy the wines. The wines cost around $6 - $9 a bottle. Since so we spent so much time at the liquor store, we missed our last stop. We were supposed to have stopped at place where they make colorful hand blankets, purses, duffle bags, etc.

I did this as well.

You can also watch the tuna boats being loaded up. I've never seen so much tuna in my life :D.

Yes! A LOT of tuna.

On one cruise we wandered around the town, came back, sat outside with a drink (OK, or two) and watched the tuna boats. Especially the guys lugging large plastic jugs of water from the dock onto the boats. Amazing how much is done by hand!

Thank you both for your quick replies!

Freestyling, did you find your local guide on arrival? can you remember the cost? Or did you book on the internet in advance? There are 2 companies mentioned on tripadvisor, but I am a bit wary as many of the positive reviews are from people posting their first review (often a sign they are not genuine).

This is the tour I took. It was great.

I found a tour by a group called Narwell for Manta follows

The Fishmarket/Pacoche/Montecristi tour

- You would first go to the early morning fishmarket in Manta where you

can see the fishermen coming in from their morning fish, unload their

catch and prepare them for sales. There is a very wide variety of catch

here in Manta and it is quite a show to watch. At the same place you will

be able to see the construction and repairing of large wooden fishing

boats.

- We would then go to the Pacoche humid forest, where you can take a

~1h15 walk through the forest with a nature guide, who will teach you

about the plants and during which you should be able to observe howler

monkeys in their natural environment, as well as birds and other small

animal species.

- A typical almuerzo (lunch)

- Then, a visit to the Ciudad Alfaro and the Montecristi handicraft shops

(where you will find Panama hats and typical crafts). It cannot be

guaranteed, but on days when cruise ships come to Manta, they almost

always have demonstrations of how the Panama hats are made at the

Ciudad Alfaro.

The tour would be about 8 hours and cost $75 for 8-9 people.