Help With My Son's Wish

We are leaving on Sunday for my son's Make a Wish trip on the FOS. My son's original wish was to have a treasure hunt on the beach. The cruise became part of the wish as the transportation that would best accommodate him. Due to some miscommunication, the treasure hunt was lost along the way.

My husband and I would still like to provide him the experience of a treasure hunt on the beach and are happy to pay an outside company to help us make it happen. Does anyone have any ideas of private excursion companies that might be willing to help us? It doesn't have to be anything elaborate. He's 6 and he's picturing a map that leads to a chest with junk in it. Our ports are Labadee, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel.

I would love any advice!

You can probably pull something off at Labadee.

There are maps of Labadee online and on Cruise Critic. Someone will likely post a link to one shortly in this thread. It's a private recreation area under the control of RCI, and the maps have cool features like the zipline.

Ideally, you get in touch with someone in the activities office as soon as you're onboard. If you can take a few things along to go in a treasure chest, you may be able to talk them into pitching in some RCI trinkets (this is a sanctioned Make-a-Wish, isn't it?). Then you just need an "X" marks the spot map, maybe over by the Dragon's Breath zipline, and someone to plant the prize. I'm betting someone from the activities desk will do that for you, but hit your roll call (you are signed up, right?), and someone on that will (I guarantee!) place your treasure for you!

I'd give that a try!

The afternoon you board the ship the Freedom customarily has a "First Time Cruisers" meeting around 2:45 p.m. This meeting is held by the Hotel Director and Cruise Director. If there is anyone on board who can provide insight on how to make your son's wish come true, it would be them. Hopefully they can help or at least point you in the right direction on who to contact, on which island, etc. Good luck and I hope your son as well as your family have a wonderful cruise.

We are leaving on Sunday for my son's Make a Wish trip on the FOS. My son's original wish was to have a treasure hunt on the beach. The cruise became part of the wish as the transportation that would best accommodate him. Due to some miscommunication, the treasure hunt was lost along the way.

My husband and I would still like to provide him the experience of a treasure hunt on the beach and are happy to pay an outside company to help us make it happen. Does anyone have any ideas of private excursion companies that might be willing to help us? It doesn't have to be anything elaborate. He's 6 and he's picturing a map that leads to a chest with junk in it. Our ports are Labadee, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel.

I would love any advice!

I would try to contact RCI management as soon as possible and describe what it is you are trying to do for your son. I'm sure they could arrange something nice for your boy. I would guess Labadee would be the best place to do it, since RCI owns the place.

Best wishes to your family. Hoping for a wonderful, memorable trip, especially for your son.

I'm not sure if there is a company or excursion of this type available in these ports of call but I searched 'treasure hunt for kids' in the Google machine and there is a TON of DIY that you could probably put together ahead of time and set up perhaps while your son is occupied (maybe he goes for a beach walk with mom or dad while the other buries something in an area of choice). Just brainstorming with you. I hope you all have a wonderful time regardless!

Thank you for your quick responses. Yes, his wish is officially being granted by Make a Wish. They are providing the cruise for our entire family, and have truly been amazing. I think that once we are onboard, their hands are tied. They have told me to meet with the Adventure Ocean Manager after boarding and hopefully try to get something worked out, but it's far from guaranteed.

I guess I'm looking for a backup plan since I'm not sure anything can happen at the last minute.

I'll google the map of Labadee. That's actually a tremendous help, just knowing that a map like that exists! This might be so much more possible to do on our own than I originally thought.

Thank you so much!

Thank you for your quick responses. Yes, his wish is officially being granted by Make a Wish. They are providing the cruise for our entire family, and have truly been amazing. I think that once we are onboard, their hands are tied. They have told me to meet with the Adventure Ocean Manager after boarding and hopefully try to get something worked out, but it's far from guaranteed.

That's why I'd have a DIY at Labadee in my back pocket. And I will say again, I see you're on your roll call; do not underestimate the willingness of people on that roll call to help you out! You just need a map; Labadee is very easy to get around. A few dotted lines, and an "X" under some palm trees, and you've go it!

There are some cheap cardboard treasure chests on Amazon. Probably won't hold together for long, but...

What's the order of your ports of call? Is Labadee first?

How large is Labadee? I'm curious how much area we can cover by using the map.

It's "big enough". Probably 50 meters across, and the main area is probably 250 meters long, give or take. You have a couple of beaches on the side the ship docks on, another rockier beach across the peninsula, and the point and blow hole where the zipline ends. Plenty of trees. There's a local market (probably would stay away for a treasure hunt). You could loop him around the beach, u-turn around one of the picnic pavilions, and have the chest around the zipline, as a for instance. It's been a couple of years, so my exact memory could be off, but this is definitely doable!

If Labadees first, do the treasure hunt on Labadee. I believe Grand Cayman a bit of a pirate tradition, so there will probably be fun "pirate things" to do there. St Thomas is the real "pirate island".

Edited by markeb

ImageUploadedByForums1452568031.979486.jpg.09ed62d22bce23251ecedc34e6798849.jpg

I found this map, which is definitely encouraging that I can actually pull something off. Can anyone give me an idea of an end point where I can leave the treasure and it be relatively safe?

Also, does the arcade take actual quarters, or just the card? I was going to add quarters to the treasure that he could spend onboard.

[ATTACH]373316[/ATTACH]

I found this map, which is definitely encouraging that I can actually pull something off. Can anyone give me an idea of an end point where I can leave the treasure and it be relatively safe?

Also, does the arcade take actual quarters, or just the card? I was going to add quarters to the treasure that he could spend onboard.

Arcade is just the card. No quarters.

There is an adventure ocean area on Labadee that is staffed but never busy. Perhaps the treasure could be buried there as it could be watched.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

[ATTACH]373316[/ATTACH]

Larger map (I hope)

labadeelinkmap.jpg

This is where you probably need to enlist some help to be sure, but the area around #6, Dragon's Lookout Point, takes you under or around the zipline, and around lunchtime will probably be pretty empty. If you can enlist some help to keep an eye out, you won't have a lot of cover, but it's a cool walk out there.

Edit: Just saw the note on Adventure Ocean's location. If they'll help, that gets you some degree of cover on your treasure!

Edited by markeb

Talk to the Adventure Ocean Manager and explain what you want to do, they will help you bury your treasure chest in a safe place. I would also ask if they can give you any Royal Caribbean goodies to add to it, they definitely have lanyards and other logo stuff. If they can't give you anything, talk to the Activities manager and/or the Cruise Director, they have all kinds of stuff they can and will give you. I also bet they can provide you with a plastic container to bury as your chest but I would bring one to be safe.

Arcade is just the card. No quarters.

There is an adventure ocean area on Labadee that is staffed but never busy. Perhaps the treasure could be buried there as it could be watched.

what a wonderful thing! As others have suggested, I would plan the treasure hunt as much as you can. I would definitely suggest that you check with RCI staff on board as soon as you can. I know that on past cruises the Adventure Ocean folks had the kids dressed up as pirates and they paraded around the ship. Surely they will have some things that they could contribute, and possibly some ideas for you. Possibly they have some form of treasure chest even?

I don't know if this would suit your needs, or your son's abilities at this time, but I have heard that in Cozumel they have an "Amazing Race". It seems to have good ratings on Trip Advisor as well ?? Good luck with whatever you choose [emoji2]

I am a wish granter with make a wish. I wish I was in your sailing so I could help.

There are various emails thrown around on this board. Maybe you can email the concierge to get the ball rolling with your fun idea. Sorry I don't have the freedom's concierge email. Maybe the concierge can connect you with someone prior to your sailing.

Have a great trip!

Thank you all so much! I feel so much more confident that we can pull this off for him.

I've never done it, but for what it's worth, so do I!

PLEASE let us know how it goes!

Best of luck and best wishes. I don't recall the entire story, but going on a Make a Wish event means there's something significant going on. Please try to enjoy the time, and enjoy every smile!

(Oh, and if the Adventure Ocean folks help, which I'm pretty confident they will, run your treasure map out to the Dragon's Breath point, and then to AO. It's a pretty cool part of the island, and the zipliners will be going right by/over hime. There will be good maps onboard that you can play with; bring pens and highlighters!)

you mentioned your entire famiy was going can a family member stand guard over the 'chest' until you get there? if Labadee is last it gives you a lot of time to plan it on board.. maybe someone from your roll call will offer to stand by the chest or the activities director can get someone in on it. I would offer, but i'm not on your cruise :( .. but you have plenty of time to plan and gather fun stuff while on board ..

enjoy the cruise

Edited by Host Star

Good luck with this and I hope it all works out and he has a fantastic time!!

I would definitely put it out there on your Roll Call board. I know if someone asked for help with something like this I would jump right in and help organise, as I'm sure many others would.

All the best!

I would love any advice!

If you PM me with your personal email address, I believe I may be able to help you out. My son received a wish and I have a contact that I can get in touch with.

Dan