Military Credit

I am a 30% disabled Vet, can I request the discount JUST using my DD214? I will admit I have checked and normally you can get the cruise cheaper with just a little research and playing around on the website. The cruise lines seem to do very little for the military in general.

Currently, Oasis in April has a pretty good law enforcement discount.....

Book whatever is the best deal. The chance of RCI requesting any documentation to prove you qualify for any of the discounts (other than senior, which is kind of built in to the system) is about the same as them denying you that case of water you brought.

Does it bother anyone else that you can "self identify" as a Veteran? That's BS... I have a dependent ID also so I never went and bothered to get a VA Card... Maybe one of these days... lol

Yes, it definitely bothers me too. But until just a few years ago an "undocumented immigrant" (snark) could get a driver's license in this state way too easily. Fortunately somebody finally wised up on that much at least.

OP, on my current RCI booking I got an extra $50 OBC for "military", just as others have said.

I don't know if it's still the case, but until frecently Princess advertised $250 OBC for retirees (maybe all veterans) as a standard. But I can't recall if that was on every cabin category. I usually shop for balcony cabins, so maybe the $250 is/was for balcony and up. At any rate, that's the best I've ever seen on any cruise line.

I had to provide my DD214 to the state of NY to get the designation on my ID.

Does it bother anyone else that you can "self identify" as a Veteran? That's BS... I have a dependent ID also so I never went and bothered to get a VA Card... Maybe one of these days... lol

it is rather disturbing, have to wonder 'why' a person would lie about something like that:confused:

DCL is more restrictive than most lines as to who is eligible for their millitary discount which can be substantial. An active military ID is required at the port (active, retired, reservists w/active duty papers & 100% disable along with DoD employees). My DH didn't retire from the service, did serve in nam but it doesn't warrant a disney discount. guess they have to cut it off somewhere.

Edited by keishashadow

it is rather disturbing, have to wonder 'why' a person would lie about something like that:confused:

DCL is more restrictive than most lines as to who is eligible for their millitary discount which can be substantial. An active military ID is required at the port (active, retired, reservists w/active duty papers & 100% disable along with DoD employees). My DH didn't retire from the service, did serve in nam but it doesn't warrant a disney discount. guess they have to cut it off somewhere.

No idea why other than discounts?? It's not like it really gets you anything... Or people that want to feel special? I think its odd.

We have done Disney World and you are right about them being strict. We have been asked for ID when we purchased tickets and when we activated them...

Right now, the Allure of the Seas has a military discount for the 8/14/2016 sailing for interior, ocean view and balcony cabins.

Also on the 8/28/16 sailing. It used to be a lot easier to find cruises with a military discount before RCL changed their website.

Maybe things have changed, but on our Serenade cruise in 2010, we received a pretty good military discount on a junior suite.

We are sailing over Memorial Day this year; an extra little OBC would always be nice!

Never seen it before but would be nice! Note this perk is available to Canadian veterans too.

Book whatever is the best deal. The chance of RCI requesting any documentation to prove you qualify for any of the discounts (other than senior, which is kind of built in to the system) is about the same as them denying you that case of water you brought.

Wow...

When we booked a military discount through Carnival, we had to fax hubby's DD214 within a certain number of says or they said the cruise fare would be recalculated. I'm pretty sure my TA said RCI does the same, but my TA may be misinformed. Or maybe it's a TA thing and not a cruise line thing.

Wow...

When we booked a military discount through Carnival, we had to fax hubby's DD214 within a certain number of says or they said the cruise fare would be recalculated. I'm pretty sure my TA said RCI does the same, but my TA may be misinformed. Or maybe it's a TA thing and not a cruise line thing.

I've been given the Military discount without proving RCCL a copy of my DD214. I take a copy of the DD214 with me just in case someone does request it at the time of check in.

Below is an excerpt about military rates from the RCI FAQs. The actual policy wording differs from the FAQ slightly with regard to spouses of actively deployed and deceased military personnel, but essentially only veterans need a DD 214. Others just need a valid ID card.

"To qualify for a military rate, an individual must be classified as one of the following:

Active personnel currently serving in the Canadian National Defense; United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, National Guard or Reserves. Proper identification in the form of a United States Uniformed Services WHITE Identification Card for U.S. military personnel, and a WHITE N.D.21 Identification Card with a Red Canadian Flag displayed for Canadian National Defense personnel, must be presented at time of check-in.

Retired from any of the divisions listed directly above. "Retired" is defined as A) enlisted personnel or officers with a minimum of 20 years of service, B) medically retired, or C) 100% disabled. Proper identification for those classified in category A or B must be in the form of a United States Uniformed RED (Reserve retired personnel) or BLUE (Active Duty retired personnel) Identification Card. Proper identification for those classified in category C is a United States Uniformed TAN Identification Card. Retired Canadian National Defense personnel are eligible and must possess a green NDI-75 card (retired personnel). All forms of identification must be presented at time of check-in.

Veterans with an Honorable Discharge serving a minimum of 2 years, or 6-months in an active war zone, in any of the United States service divisions listed above. Proper identification in the form of a DD 214, plus a current photo must be presented at time of check-in.

Spouses of actively deployed military personnel are eligible to book one stateroom as long as the eligible spouse is occupying the stateroom. This rate also applies to all other guests traveling in the same stateroom. Spouses of deceased military personnel are also eligible for the military rate. As proof of eligibility, spouses must present the Pink or Tan Dependent Military ID upon check-in.

All guests traveling in the same stateroom are eligible to receive the military rate. No additional staterooms, other than the one that is occupied by the military person is eligible for the military rate. Spouses, parents, in-laws, children or other family members or friends are not eligible for the military rate without the eligible military person occupying the stateroom."

Edited by Free2bMeForever